Smooth Rifle

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
lighthorseman

Male Number of posts : 708
Registration date : 2016-05-18

PostSubject: Smooth Rifle   May 18th 2016, 4:40 pm

Since the mid-70's and a story I heard about a buckskinner in Colorado with a smooth bore trade gun......that had taken every big game animal with the exception of a Big Horn....and most all the small game as well as water fowl and upland game....I was intrigued with the idea of having "One gun". Well all these years later my friend Lloyd Moler built it for me;

.62 cal. / 20ga 46" barrel

Recovering from shoulder surgery I am hoping to start a long time dream to start harvesting everything with a smooth bore.
Very Happy

Last edited by lighthorseman on May 18th 2016, 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5113
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Rifle   May 18th 2016, 4:44 pm

Absolutely gorgeous ... but a 46" barrel?

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1391
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Rifle   May 18th 2016, 5:04 pm

Pretty! Love long rifles, too. That is gonna be a pleasure to carry.

Nice choice of background, too!

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14399
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Rifle   May 18th 2016, 5:08 pm

damn gorgeous rifle! Looks like a pretty area you're living as well.

Would lobe to see more pictures and range reports once you heal up.

Welcome to the forum as well!

Jonathan
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
lighthorseman

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Rifle   May 18th 2016, 5:45 pm

Here's a photo of last practice rounds last fall at 60 yds, standing off hand.... .600 r.b. 100 gr ffg

I wanted a long barreled gun. I built a GRRW Leman Indian gun back in the 70's, flintlock, .58 cal with a 30" barrel for throwing into a saddle scabbard so yea I wanted something longer and more graceful with this build.

The view is out my back door in Northern Idaho above Lake Coeur d Alene.

Here's a buck I took out my back door....but alas with my Sharps 45-70 rather than my smooth rifle......it wasn't ready....the Sharps was handy.....end of story:

One page of history is worth more than a book of logic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 793
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Rifle   May 18th 2016, 8:57 pm

That is a nice smoothbore!
Somehow, a long barrel just looks right on a long rifle. Although my flintlocks have barrels from 38-40", I like a 42" or longer in terms of looks.
Ron

lighthorseman

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Rifle   May 18th 2016, 9:02 pm

Thanks for y'alls kind remarks..........

Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1141
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Rifle   May 21st 2016, 8:48 am

@lighthorseman wrote:
Since the mid-70's and a story I heard about a buckskinner in Colorado with a smooth bore trade gun......that had taken every big game animal with the exception of a Big Horn....and most all the small game as well as water fowl and upland game....I was intrigued with the idea of having "One gun".
Very Happy

Lighthorseman, you mentioned a buckskinner in Colorado with a smooth bore trade gun & using it for everything in the 70's. There were several articles about us doing this seen in Buckskin Report, The Blackpowder Journal and Muzzle Blasts in the early to mid 70's. In one article they mentioned none of the three had gotten a Big Horn Sheep, that needs to be rewritten as one of us Larry Fendell got his sheep in 1979 and I have missed several while living in Colorado for 42 years. Buffalo are a piece of cake - its all about bullet/ball placement. You have a beautiful smooth bore and a good caliber (12 ga's hurt you in llight guns). Good luck on your shoulder and the same with your new toy.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
lighthorseman

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Rifle   June 1st 2016, 9:12 am

Buck

Sorry it took so long to reply....wasn't notified of a response, and I've been distracted with shoulder stuff........yes I'm sure those you mentioned were the point of reference. Where in Colorado did you live? I actually built a Northwest gun while living in Steamboat Springs. It was a combo kit made of early North Star Enterprise and Green River Forge parts. I loved shooting it but for hunting stuck with my GRRW Indian Rifle, which I also built while living in Steamboat.....at least until I bought my Shiloh in '85. Since meeting Jack Brooks back in the 70's I had always wanted a "fancy" long rifle and always thought he's be the one to build it, but Lloyd Moler lives an hour or so north of me here in Idaho and he's become a good friend and so I wanted one built by him. I actually have a Caywood "officer's model" in a 12 ga. but I guess since it is "jug chocked" I can't seem to hit a thing with it......missed too many whitetail bucks.........or maybe it's just me getting old. It's a pretty gun and has a 37" barrel, but is relegated to living history colonial ranger officer's impression.

Last edited by lighthorseman on June 1st 2016, 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Rifle   June 1st 2016, 9:21 am

Nice outfit. Good look for you!

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lighthorseman

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Rifle   June 1st 2016, 9:44 am

Thanks Colonel! I've actually moved on a bit from doing a ranger impression and have put together more of a Sir William Johnson "type" impression. It fits better within the framework of our vision for ministry and still having my ranger impression, I can always fall back to it when going on a "scout". Very Happy

I'm also working on an 1834 Col. Henry Dodge "type" impression. I have assembled all the primary outfit except the brace of pistols (probably 1807 HF pistols" I've also done quite a bit of research on exactly what the 1833 dragoon saddle looked like....so hopefully one day get a reproduction of it made........why at my age am I still putting together impressions?.......guess it's just to keep the creative juices flowing! t up

Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5113
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Rifle   June 1st 2016, 12:15 pm

"why at my age am I still putting together impressions?.......guess it's just to keep the creative juices flowing!"

Oh, to be 62 again .... No   Don't fall into the trap of thinking you are old, it's a death sentence. Get out there and give it all you have. We'll all be dead soon enough.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lighthorseman

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Rifle   June 1st 2016, 1:01 pm

Thanks Bob......that's what I'm trying to do. In '83 I was crushed between two vehicles....one traveling at 60+ and the other one (mine) standing still. 33 years later I'm having to do a bit of repairs to the already buggered equipment. Since Feb 10th I've had an ankle fusion and left shoulder replacement......praying I won't have to have the right one done as well, although it's bone on bone too...........so yes, I'm not giving up yet and "retirement" isn't at all in my thinking....ever. These days most of my re-creations of impressions is usually for solo experiences.....mostly hunting. Luckily I live in a state that doesn't require blaze orange though as a former Colorado Hunter Education instructor, I still wear it even over period clothing. Sadly I live in a state that only has the occasional rendezvous which I pretty much swore off back in the 80's......just not my cup of tea!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Rifle   June 1st 2016, 4:35 pm

@lighthorseman wrote:
Buck

Sorry it took so long to reply....wasn't notified of a response, and I've been distracted with shoulder stuff........yes I'm sure those you mentioned were the point of reference. Where in Colorado did you live? 
LIVED IN COLORADO FROM 1964 TO 2007 MASONVILLE, LOVELAND, LAKEWOOD. HUNTED ALL OVER THE STATE AS WELL AS TRAVELING FOR THE COLOARDO STATE MUZZLELOADING ASSOCIATION AS PRESIDENT AND SEVERAL OTHER POSITIONS FOR 12-14 YEARS. WE GREW THAT GROUP TO OVER 1,200 ACTIVE MEMBERS, NOW I TOLD THEY HAVE LESS THAN 300, SAD ...
I actually built a Northwest gun while living in Steamboat Springs. It was a combo kit made of early North Star Enterprise and Green River Forge parts. I loved shooting it but for hunting stuck with my GRRW Indian Rifle, which I also built while living in Steamboat.....at least until I bought my Shiloh in '85.
I'VE HAD CURLY'S GUNS, SOLD THEM IN THE STORE AND GOT TO KNOW HIM THROUGH CHARLEY HANSON. THE PAIR OF THEM HELDED BE WITH "SUCCESS IN THE NORTH AMERICAN FUR TRADE" - THAT BOOK ON TRADEGUNS SOLD VERY WELL WITH THREE PRINTINGS.
Since meeting Jack Brooks back in the 70's I had always wanted a "fancy" long rifle and always thought he's be the one to build it,.....
JACK IS A NICE GUY, ALWAYS TRY TO STOP AND SEE HIM WHEN IN DENVER AREA.
I actually have a Caywood "officer's model" in a 12 ga. but I guess since it is "jug chocked" I can't seem to hit a thing with it......missed too many whitetail bucks.........or maybe it's just me getting old.
HAD A DANNY CAYWOOD "CHIEF'S MODEL TRADEGUN" IN 28 GA. THAT SHOT .530 ROUND BALLS VERY NICELY. SHOT A LOT OF GAME WITH THAT ONE THEN A FRIEND WANTED IT SO BAD I COULDN'T SAY NO FOR WHAT HE WAS WILLING TO PAY.

Back to top Go down
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Rifle   June 1st 2016, 4:44 pm

@lighthorseman wrote:
I've actually moved on a bit from doing a ranger impression and have put together more of a Sir William Johnson "type" impression.....  I can always fall back to it when going on a "scout". Very Happy  .... why at my age am I still putting together impressions?.......guess it's just to keep the creative juices flowing! t up

Hell at my age I still haven't found what I'm looking for. Started this venture in 1955 and have had some of the best damn garage sales on period clothing, equipage, weapons, even correct period foods. You put in hours and hours putting together a correct documented outfit and within a year or less others have copied you. I would ask them where they researched their kit, had one smile and say "I copied you, for the third time". Thanks ....

Back to top Go down
lighthorseman

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Rifle   June 1st 2016, 7:46 pm

Quote :
I would ask them where they researched their kit, had one smile and say "I copied you, for the third time". Thanks ....
quite a compliment......don't think anyone ever copied me............might be a good reason for that. Neutral ..............by the way is Carney Pace part of the new GRRW venture?

I was fortunate to know Jack and did a remodel job for Frank Sellers who allowed me to hold and original Hawken from his collection......at the time I was young and stupid and no real interest in Sharps rifles. Neutral
Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Rifle   June 2nd 2016, 6:48 am

@lighthorseman wrote:
Quote :
I would ask them where they researched their kit, had one smile and say "I copied you, for the third time". Thanks ....
quite a compliment......don't think anyone ever copied me............might be a good reason for that. Neutral ..............by the way is Carney Pace part of the new GRRW venture?
I TRIED TO TALK CARENY INTO GETTING INVOLVED, HE REPLIED "I DIDN'T BUILD GUNS FOR GRRW, WAS THE GUY RUNNING THE MACHINERY. BUT WOULD LIKE TO BE KEPT IN THE LOOP WITH GRRW.CA."
I was fortunate to know Jack and did a remodel job for Frank Sellers who allowed me to hold and original Hawken from his collection......at the time I was young and stupid and no real interest in Sharps rifles. Neutral
FRANK SELLER'S WAS A PEACH, VISITED WITH HIM MANY TIMES AT THE COLORADO COLLECTORS SHOW. YOU KNEW SOME GOOD CRAFTSMEN. TO BAD WE WERE ALWAYS IN A HURRY AND FOR MOST NEVER ASKED THEM TO SHARE MORE ABOUT THEIR LIFES. I WAS LUCKY AND REALLY GOT TO KNOW A FEW GREAT ONES, CHARLES E. HANSON, JR, CHARLTON HESTON, ELMER KEITH AND SEVERAL OTHERS - FUN STUFF ....

Back to top Go down
lighthorseman

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Rifle   June 2nd 2016, 9:23 am

I fell in with some of the greats when I moved to Steamboat in '78. Carney, Kendall MacDowell......met Blue Jacket....other names I've long forgotten.

Jack was good friends with Rink Ladman and his son, Scott Ladman was my best friend starting in 3rd grade there in Lakewood. Jack had built a long rifle for Rink and that was my first exposure to his work. Rink's company (Denver Construction) that I worked for before moving to Steamboat also did the remodel job for Frank. Yes Frank was a great guy and willing to share his knowledge. The Ladmans were thick with the Colorado Gun Collectors Ass., so there were quite a few folks to get to know. Rink was also friends with Rusty Phelps who was a western artist who did a lot of mountain man themed bronzes......also my first introduction to bronze sculpture..........which eventually I got into as well. Yes it was a privilege to know those folks.

Carney was a great encouragement to me when I first got into muzzleloading. I met him at a black powder shoot at Hot Sulfur Springs. Even though I was shooting a Lyman Plains Rifle, Carney asked to see it and complimented that it was a "fine gun"......I knew it wasn't authentic by that point and was a bit embarrassed by it, Carney made me feel welcomed. It was a lot easier to fit in with the Steamboat/Craig bunch after that and I bought my first GRRW from John Corn shortly after moving there. I stayed in touch with Kendall MacDowell for years after that, often hunting antelope on his place and the Sombrero Ranch.... his place butted up against. I have some insane stories about adventures hunting with Kendall...........but for another time perhaps!Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Rifle   June 2nd 2016, 9:55 am

"Carney made me feel welcomed."

That is one of the fine things about the folks in this hobby/sport. 
They are almost always welcoming. The ones that seem to know the 
most are often the most humble and generous with their stories if you 
bother to ask.

I try to ask. The 'old guard' of the 1970's upswing in muzzleloading 
have a lot of information to impart and fewer ears willing to listen.

I think forums like this one are helping keep us active and might just 
record some things for 20 years from now... if we can keep Jonathan 
out of the hooch. Twisted Evil

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lighthorseman

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Rifle   June 4th 2016, 1:53 pm

This board is extremely well executed and the membership is very active and informed!

Forums/boards are very much in a decline...one that I manage is suffering from lack of interest even though it is a treasure chest of historical photos and information. This one has a great deal of activity, due I suppose in large part to the wide range of subjects......and of course good folks who participate.

Doug
Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Rifle   June 4th 2016, 3:31 pm

@lighthorseman wrote:
I manage is suffering from lack of interest even though it is a treasure chest of historical photos and information. This one has a great deal of activity, due I suppose in large part to the wide range of subjects......and of course good folks who participate.

Doug

Doug give us your site so we may check out what's offered, you say "historical photos" and you got our attention.

Back to top Go down
lighthorseman

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Rifle   June 4th 2016, 4:20 pm

Sure......I'm not the one who birthed the website but recently took over management for it.... to keep it from going under............here's the link:

http://lastoftheplainsmen.freeforums.org/

Steve made it a virtual library and museum of period photos......American West from 1830-1885
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Rifle   June 4th 2016, 6:44 pm

I like the William Hawken rifle pics. Says it was 'found in a widow's closet.' 
I just got the wrong dang closets...

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lighthorseman

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Rifle   June 27th 2016, 6:21 pm

I once saw a collection of early Hawken family long rifles at Colorado Gun Collector's gun show in Denver.  I was surprised to see that the "brothers" had come from generations of builders.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Rifle   June 28th 2016, 7:13 am

That was the Jack Lewis Collection from Ohio, he use to bring that collection to shows to make every one's mouths water. Most of that collection ended up in the Jim Gordon Collection in NM.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Rifle   

Back to top Go down

Smooth Rifle
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading :: Shooting Accessories & Hunter Misc.-
Jump to: