AuthorMessage
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1276
Registration date : 2015-10-29

PostSubject: Anyone Ever Done One of These?   May 23rd 2016, 11:01 am

I got a special invite from the new branch of The Armories gun shop 
that opened up near me that I have kind of made my main shop. 

It is a small shop that is part of a few other stores. I like the proximity, 
the staff, and the services. (I do wish they did black powder, but you can't 
have it all.) If you send me a gun or I send you one, it will likely be handled 
by The Armories in Oviedo.

The Armories boys in the Oviedo location

They sold me my Colt Gold Cup and they will clean it for life. (I like 
that.)

They gave me an invite that I am gonna accept and I am looking forward to. 
I have heard about these sorta things, but have never done one. 

Anyone ever done something like this? Any tips?

Quote :
Quote :

Sig Sauer Demo Shoot on Saturday, May 28th at the Chuluota Sportsman‘s Club. Special Guest John Hollister will be coming into town with a selection of Sig Sauer pistols, rifles, silencers and optics for you to test!  Shooting will start at 10 am and will last until 2 pm.

SIG-SAUER'S John Hollister 

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA

Last edited by Kentucky Colonel on May 28th 2016, 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Ever Done One of These?   May 28th 2016, 2:20 pm

Well, I did this special Sig-Sauer/Armories sponsored shoot and got back today. 

This was a new gun range for me. The event was also the first of it's kind for me. 
First, the new range...

The Chuluota Gun Club is outdoor, small but well done. It is just outside of Oviedo, Florida and is quite close 
to me. It has been around for a long time, but has a much lower public profile. I never knew it was here.

It features a really nice trap range. Every Thursday, the range becomes devoted to their weekly Trap Shoot
The University of Central Florida Gun Club has students that come out to shoot at the event. The UCF Gun 
Club has a UCF Chemistry Professor as a faculty advisor. I did not know they existed, either. They are 1 year old.

The Chuluota Gun Club is open to the public for Trap shoots, but closed to Members Only most of the rest of the time. 
(The Sig-Sauer/Armories event was obviously an exception.) The Membership seems affordable to me. It breaks in 
at a little morethan 100-125 dollars a year. They are open all year round except for two days... Christmas is one of them.

The facilities are currently scheduled to have the firing line bulldozed and rebuilt in July. They will be closed between 4-8 weeks. 
I believe the longest distance is 75 yards on these ranges. I am not certain, but definitely none over 100 yards.

This Veteran seemed to enjoy both the current facility and the special shoot. He was all up and down the line shooting 
anything that would go 'Pop!'

Now, onto the Sig-Sauer/Armories event... 

I have never fired an AR platform rifle. I have never fired with a silencer. 
I have never used laser sights. I got to enjoy all of these today.

This was very close to the set up I fired first and liked best. The Sig-Sauer MCX had optional laser 
optics: the SIG Romeo 4M. It also had an optional titanium 'can' (silencer for us newbies).
Daddy like... 

The laser sight was single focus. My old eyes really enjoyed not having to take in a front and rear sight. 
The dot was too large at first and obscured the clays on the berm set at 30-35 yards. (Sorry, not sure... new range) 
The neat little button at the top of the optional 'scope' reduced the size of the 'dot' and let me nestle it neatly on center 
of the clay while still being able to see everything. 

The rifle was SO light after my muzzler loaders and .300 Win Mag! I was very steady.

I hit clay with every shot. The targets at first were clay targets on the berm. It was startlingly easy... even with the firmer 
than average trigger break. Visions of squirrel head shots danced in my head. This was viciously accurate for a 'walk 
up and shoot.' 

I was impressed.

The rifles were new and nice. Especially the MCX. There were two rifles available. The second was a Sig 300 Blackout with 
Sig Tango optics. John Hollister of Sig-Sauer told me that 300 shot low. Boy, he was not kidding. This has a 'can,' too. I did 
not cotton to this one as much. We fired on steel with this.

The SIG MCX set up runs around 3,500 dollars. I asked. I guess those squirrels will be safer from me for a while. 

This next impression surprises me. When I was carefully taking my second, third, and fourth shots, the powder smoke 
from the previous shots seemed to go right up my nose. It was enough to make me twitch in reaction while trying to hold steady. 
Since I love the smell of gun powder and love to 'make smoke' with black powder? This was a shock. I wonder if I am alone on 
this.

They had five additional pistols available to try that ranged from .380-9 MM. Three were equipped with silencers. They were 
very basic models. They were very very well used. 

But, the ammo, toys, and targets were all free and it was a lot of fun. But, if I were trying get a feel for the Sig pistols? They 
were too played out to be helpful. I know what a Sig pistol in top form feels like. These poor things were like played out horses. 

John Hollister said, "A Glock is just a gun." Normally, I agree that I can feel a difference between the Sig and Glock pistol products. 
Not this time. The pistol Sigs were too played out.

Beyond that, using the silencers was a new thing. The 'can' actually blocked out the front sight completely on the first one. So, 
aiming is a lot less precise. Someone said that taller front sights may be added to correct this. (shrug) Seems like a poor idea to 
me. The extra length on a pistol also seems like a poor idea to me. 

A SIG with a 'can.' NOTE: the can partially blocks out the front sight? This happened on 2 out of the 3 I tried.

Silencers on rifles seem like a good idea. 'Silence' is more of a suggestion: the rifles were just 'loud' now and not 'LOUD!' But, 
running a few thousand rounds in practice will certainly be gentler on everyone's ears. 

If I were doing a Hollywood Voodoo or True Blue quiz? Hollywood Voodoo is closer to the truth about 'silencers.' No one is going to 
'miss' a silenced weapon going off nearby. 007, you have lied to me all these years! But, I enjoyed the quieter retort on the 
rifles.

The event itself was a LOT less exclusive than I had been led to believe. The range facilities were almost overwhelmed with the 
amount of shooters present. But, gun events are the most polite places on the planet. We all had a good time.

And, I saw John Hollister dang near strip a rifle down by appearing to just give a quick shrug. He was like a magic 
Harley Davidson rifle gnome. I asked if I could be a nerd and get a pic with him to share with my friends in Kentucky. 
He grinned and told me how much he had enjoyed the Louisville NRA event and indulged me. 

It is hard to look cool opposite someone who actually is very cool. Here I am failing with a goofy look on my face.

So, I would do this again if invited. I suggest you do, too. Just don't miss anything else really important.
But, I am grateful to The Armories for inviting me and hosting the event.

NMLRA

Last edited by Kentucky Colonel on May 29th 2016, 11:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 4995
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Ever Done One of These?   May 28th 2016, 6:19 pm

"Silencers" only silence sub-sonic ammo. The sound of a bullet breaking the sound barrier is always present with velocities over 1100 ft/sec.

.45 ACP is a commonly silenced round since it usually only travels at ~ 900 ft/sec.

The Hollywood Voodoo I hate the most are silenced revolvers and bullets ricocheting off dirt roads causing sparks. Mad

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Ever Done One of These?   May 29th 2016, 11:52 am

@patocazador wrote:
"Silencers" only silence sub-sonic ammo. The sound of a bullet breaking the sound barrier is always present with velocities over 1100 ft/sec.

.45 ACP is a commonly silenced round since it usually only travels at ~ 900 ft/sec.

The Hollywood Voodoo I hate the most are silenced revolvers and bullets ricocheting off dirt roads causing sparks. Mad

Oh, now I have to get out in the field with a silenced .45 and try it! I really am curious, now. 

Amen to the 'sparks' comment. I do not remember seeing a silenced revolver in film. 
I am sure they are there!

My pet peeve are cop shows. I love the hero detectives who take 'shelter' behind flimsy trash cans, 
park benches, cellophane wrappers...Those suddenly all become bullet proof. Suspect

Hey! Think we could 'silence' a black powder weapon? jocolor

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 4995
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Ever Done One of These?   May 29th 2016, 7:34 pm

"I do not remember seeing a silenced revolver in film. 
I am sure they are there!"

One that comes to mind quickly is the revolver the hit "man" used on Robert Redford in The Natural. She was an evil-looking bitch, too bad they didn't give her a .32 auto instead. That would have worked.

PS: Were the sloppy SIGs steel/alloy guns or half plastic? I've put about 250 full-house rounds through mine since I bought it. I'd hate to see it fall apart. It's all metal.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Ever Done One of These?   May 30th 2016, 12:40 am

@patocazador wrote:

PS: Were the sloppy SIGs steel/alloy guns or half plastic? I've put about 250 full-house rounds through mine since I bought it. I'd hate to see it fall apart. It's all metal.

They were polymer mostly. I do not recall any true metal on any of those. 

I have been wondering how many rounds it would take to reduce them to that 
condition. 

Mine is metal. I have LOTS more than 250 through it and it is still as new. 
I think we are both pretty safe.

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rafsob

Male Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Ever Done One of These?   September 2nd 2016, 1:07 pm

Surprised that SIG smells cans and handguns with threaded barrels and then don't put high sights on the gun!!!!!  They should know better!!  Don't get me wrong, i'm a SIG lover!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Ever Done One of These?   

Back to top Go down

Anyone Ever Done One of These?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Modern Shooting :: Modern Shooters-
Jump to: