Traditions trapper and Lyman Plains pistol

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BigAl52
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 342
Registration date : 2016-02-03

PostSubject: Traditions trapper and Lyman Plains pistol   May 28th 2016, 5:56 pm

Any of you own both or have any opinions of these 2 pistols. Like the looks of both of theses pistols just wondered if one had better features than the other. Al

TC Renegade 58 cal Green Mtn drop in barrel
TC Renegade 58 cal
TC Hawken 58 cal
TC Hawken 50 cal Green Mtn drop in barrel
GRRW Hawken 50 cal
Lyman GPR 54 cal flintlock L&R lock davis deerslayer trigger
Lyman Trade Rifle 54 cal
CVA Hawken 58 cal
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Neslen

Number of posts : 430
Registration date : 2015-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Traditions trapper and Lyman Plains pistol   May 28th 2016, 6:04 pm

Lyman
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 4959
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Traditions trapper and Lyman Plains pistol   May 28th 2016, 8:58 pm

I have heard good things about the Lyman and only bad things about the Trapper.

T/C's Patriot looks a lot like the Trapper but it is a fine gun if you don't stress the stock too much. Mine shoots round balls and REALs very accurately.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigAl52
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 342
Registration date : 2016-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Traditions trapper and Lyman Plains pistol   May 28th 2016, 9:16 pm

I have had  patriot before and got rid of it. I know of one for sale in the 500.00 dollar range which seems to be the going price for one. I did like the one I had just went thru that phase where all of the BP guns I had went up for sale and now I wish I hadnt of sold them. Al

TC Renegade 58 cal Green Mtn drop in barrel
TC Renegade 58 cal
TC Hawken 58 cal
TC Hawken 50 cal Green Mtn drop in barrel
GRRW Hawken 50 cal
Lyman GPR 54 cal flintlock L&R lock davis deerslayer trigger
Lyman Trade Rifle 54 cal
CVA Hawken 58 cal
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 4959
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Traditions trapper and Lyman Plains pistol   May 29th 2016, 7:04 am

You can get them cheaper if you're willing to watch and wait. I bought mine from Carlos about 3 years ago for $350. It's in like new condition.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 718
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Traditions trapper and Lyman Plains pistol   May 29th 2016, 9:31 am

I have both, Al. If you want to stop over my place, you can see and handle them both.

The flintlock Trapper is the more attractive pistol with all the brass on it and a nice grain to the wood. However, I find the reach to the trigger too long for my smallish hands. I have to shift the pistol to set the trigger, then shift back to reach the trigger.

Trapper on left and Patriot on right:

The Plains pistol is, well, plain. It probably is a more accurate rendition of what the fur traders carried. Mine is a percussion. The reach to the trigger is much more comfortable for me. I don't have any photos of the Plains pistol up on a image server, so I didn't include any photos here. If you like, I will take a few photos and post them for you.

Both shot very accurately, with the Trapper having a slight edge with the 4 balls I put through it.

I'll probably get rid of the Trapper because it just doesn't fit my hand and will keep the Plains pistol because it does fit.
Ron
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Traditions trapper and Lyman Plains pistol   

Back to top Go down

Traditions trapper and Lyman Plains pistol
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading :: Black Powder Hand Guns-
Jump to: