Share | 

Shipping really long muzzleloader

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dbowling

Male Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2014-01-22

PostSubject: Shipping really long muzzleloader   July 19th 2016, 11:44 am

Have any of you guys shipped a really long muzzleloader and if so how did you go about it.. I have a 58 in. long .36 cal. custom gun that Im thinking of selling but need to figure how to ship it.. full length stock pinned on so cant really remove it to ship.. either way gonna cost a bunch to ship.. I bought it locally so no idea how to go about it, what type of carton or container did you use if you've done this, thought about a carpet tube but would be really oversized..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Admin

Male Number of posts : 14269
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Shipping really long muzzleloader   July 19th 2016, 11:55 am

A big over sized box, tons of bubble wrap and ship it UPS, You'll most likely spent $40 - 50 on shipping depending on insurance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com Online
lighthorseman

Male Number of posts : 713
Registration date : 2016-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Shipping really long muzzleloader   July 19th 2016, 11:55 am

Yep......first find a box. If you have a local gun shop or sporting goods ask them if they have any gun shipping boxes. An alternative might be a box that florescent tubes were shipped in. Wrap the gun with bubble wrap and make sure both ends are cushioned well....in case it is dropped. I always ship through the USPS. Usually cost around $35. Don't ship through UPS......they are anti-gun and I have known too many guys who have had issues with busted stocks and ripped open boxes with UPS. Finding something to ship it in is usually the biggest problem. I have started storing boxes I received guns in the rafters of my shop..............really not that big of a deal, so don't sweat it. t up

One page of history is worth more than a book of logic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Admin

Male Number of posts : 14269
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Shipping really long muzzleloader   July 19th 2016, 12:00 pm

UPS isn't anti gun. Its the small UPS stores that can not accept them due to theft problems in the past. All arms must be shipping through the main depot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com Online
dbowling

PostSubject: Re: Shipping really long muzzleloader   July 19th 2016, 12:21 pm

I keep all my boxes that I receive guns in but a lot of times I end up using them to ship another item in like a custom recurve, haven't had anything this long shipped to me yet though:)
Ive got boxes stored everywhere just nothing big enough.. will have to start looking or may try to sell locally.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hanshi

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2015-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Shipping really long muzzleloader   July 19th 2016, 12:40 pm

I always try to keep the original box the gun arrived in.  I shipped a long one once in the original box.  Finding a proper box can be a challenge.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.martialartsusa.com
lighthorseman

Male Number of posts : 713
Registration date : 2016-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Shipping really long muzzleloader   July 19th 2016, 12:43 pm

I realize that as a company policy UPS ships guns, but employees I have spoken to have advised otherwise. It may be isolated to individuals or individual stores, but muzzleloading gun builders I know won't ship via UPS due to rough handling.......it may have been overreach on my part to suggest that UPs was "anti-gun" for which I apologize. For my own experience, I have had somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 long guns with up to 46"barrels shipped via USPS and have had no issues.

I had to "splice" two gun boxes together once for a long rifle......used lots of shipping tape. Wrapping in well in bubble wrap allows for smaller diameter boxes which also allows for slightly cheaper shipping prices. Overall box size in addition to weight determines cost.

One page of history is worth more than a book of logic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 4957
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Shipping really long muzzleloader   July 19th 2016, 1:28 pm

I received a 42" barreled rifle and the "box" was a homemade triangular shape made from 2 large pieces of cardboard. It was just folded around the barrel end with 3 sides. Another piece was formed around that piece and went over the butt stock. Then both ends were filled with bubble wrap (or the gun was wrapped prior to inserting it .. most likely) and peanuts filled the rest. There were 2 wooden slats taped to 2 sides on the inside. These were like long yardsticks. The gun arrived with several holes punched in the cardboard but no damage occurred to the gun. It was shipped USPS.

It was shipped from 1200 miles away. I paid $35 for the shipping.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fishunt

Male Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2015-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Shipping really long muzzleloader   July 19th 2016, 8:41 pm

I once tried to return a cracked forearm off of a Browning Gold Hunter and UPS wouldn't accept it because it was a gun part. They said they couldn't handle anything that was part of a gun.

It was a piece of Walnut!!

Funny thing is I had a replacement CVA Accura rifle sent to me from CVA and it came in the brown truck.

I'm still confused but it's quite normal for me.

Glenn

Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Shipping really long muzzleloader   July 20th 2016, 6:45 am

You made the mistake of speaking to the clerk. When they ask me a question, I pause, look at them quizzically with a pissed off stare and then say, "Does it matter?"
Then ask them, "What's the problem?"

They usually just ask if it's a controlled substance or restricted item. Shake your head and say, "Get on with it!"

No one likes to deal with customers like that for the pay they're getting so they just do whatever to get rid of you.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dbowling

PostSubject: Re: Shipping really long muzzleloader   July 20th 2016, 2:44 pm

I think before I put on the net for sale will try locally in Indiana 1st as the maker is from here so should sell pretty easy. I've shipped a few muzzleloaders and hundreds of custom recurves thru USPS w/o any issues other then some disappearing for a few more days then delivery  date..one ended up traveling all over the Midwest before it got to Michigan, but arrived in good shape.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9450
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Shipping really long muzzleloader   July 20th 2016, 2:51 pm

I'd take the barrel off. That's what the pins are for. Then pack it up real good.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dbowling

PostSubject: Re: Shipping really long muzzleloader   July 20th 2016, 7:35 pm

may do that but the makers son told me not a good idea to take them in/out a bunch as they eventually will get loose..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Shipping really long muzzleloader   July 20th 2016, 8:27 pm

Sometimes they will flake off a sliver of the stock when removed and reinserted. I wouldn't do it to one of mine.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
OSR

Male Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2014-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Shipping really long muzzleloader   July 20th 2016, 9:03 pm

I have had issues with the main UPS location by me.  The guy working in the shipping area told me he couldn't take a firearm if I didn't have an FFL.  I asked him to show me the UPS rule regarding the FFL, then I informed him that BP guns aren't considered firearms under the law.  I said if your not sure you can call the local Police Department.  He just stared at me, and took the BP rifle for shipment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OSR

Male Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2014-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Shipping really long muzzleloader   July 20th 2016, 9:05 pm

Forgot to mention, if you live in NJ, they treat BP rifles like regular firearms there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
QuinnTheEskimo

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2016-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Shipping really long muzzleloader   July 21st 2016, 3:56 am

I'd just build a box from 3/4" pine with a 1/4" top and bottom screwed on and lined with foam.  My uncle was a long range match shooter and was always sending rifles out to be rebarreled and that's what he used.

Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9450
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Shipping really long muzzleloader   July 21st 2016, 9:42 am

@dbowling wrote:
may do that but the makers son told me not a good idea to take them in/out a bunch as they eventually will get loose..

I agree, but one time won't hurt.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hanshi

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2015-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Shipping really long muzzleloader   July 21st 2016, 10:14 am

I agree; one time won't hurt as long as reasonable care is taken.  All my barrels have been out more than once for rust prevention, sealing of the barrel channel and enlarging the holes in the pin lugs.  But they only come out when I feel it's necessary.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.martialartsusa.com
dbowling

PostSubject: Re: Shipping really long muzzleloader   July 21st 2016, 8:32 pm

the wood box idea I like but bet it would jump shipping cost way up due to weight..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brjanes

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2016-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Shipping really long muzzleloader   September 8th 2016, 12:28 pm

Cheep cheep boxes has telescoping boxes that are perfect for shipping brown bess sized guns
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dbowling

PostSubject: Re: Shipping really long muzzleloader   September 8th 2016, 4:26 pm

@brjanes wrote:
Cheep cheep boxes has telescoping boxes that are perfect for shipping brown bess sized guns

thanks for the idea, I ended up selling the gun back to the builder as he wanted to keep it in the family..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shipping really long muzzleloader   

Back to top Go down

Shipping really long muzzleloader
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: