Share | 

late 19th century Cowboy guns

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
lighthorseman

Male Number of posts : 708
Registration date : 2016-05-18

PostSubject: late 19th century Cowboy guns   Mon 22 Aug - 20:16

Here's some of my "modern" firearms........I have a rule that I don't buy a new gun till I sell one. I got out of a lot of living history impressions, so I had an original 1862 Spencer carbine, 1833 Hall carbine, 1836 Johnson martial pistol and a turn of the 20th century Colt 1873 SAA.....I was never really a collector...obviously and bought stuff I had wanted for years, all reproductions.

Repro 1876 Winchester in 45-60,  !874 Sharps Business Rifle (before patchbox and pewter forend) .45 Colt 1875 Schofield, with military "Fair Weather Christian Prairie Cartridge Belt" and model '75 holster

I have used the '76 only a couple of times to hunt.

'72 Open top .38 Special

'76 Winchester on a hunt.

One page of history is worth more than a book of logic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1276
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: late 19th century Cowboy guns   Tue 23 Aug - 14:06

Hey, tell me your reaction/knowledge about this?  

I have a lot of opinion, but am very curious. This is a very low end price coach gun 
made by Stoeger in side by side, 12 ga. 

It is used in BP and modern powder Cowboy Action.

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA

Last edited by Kentucky Colonel on Tue 23 Aug - 19:40; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lighthorseman

PostSubject: Re: late 19th century Cowboy guns   Tue 23 Aug - 15:31

No knowledge........not involved in CAS and not a fan of short barreled double guns. However I love double barreled exposed hammer guns in longer length barrels....like you'd hunt birds with.

What were you want to find out?......I might still be able to help.

Doug

Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark1945

Male Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2015-08-20

PostSubject: Re: late 19th century Cowboy guns   Tue 23 Aug - 18:34

I have a pair of the Baikal side by sides one with hammers and one without. I have used both to hunt doves and actually find the short barrels faster to swing with the doves then any of my other shotguns .Thought about getting into the CAS years ago but just never did . I have a friend who has one of the Stoegers and he has no problems with it .
Mark

Cabelas 58 cal Hawken             Colt Navy 36 cal                     Pietta 1863 Remington pocket rev 31 cal
Pedersoli Kodiak 58 cal             CVA 58 Cal. Mountain Rifle      Classic Arms Co 44 Cal New Orleans Ace
CVA 45 Cal Derringer               TC Renegade 54cal                 Navy Arms Co. Pietta 12 gauge double
Pedersoli 12 gauge double        Traditions Crockett 32 cal        2 Traditions Mountain Rifles 50 cal
Pietta 1851 Conf Navy 44
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lighthorseman

PostSubject: Re: late 19th century Cowboy guns   Tue 23 Aug - 19:02

I've only ever hunted doves with my grandfather's "long tom" single shot 12ga.......and I was deadly. I could imagine hunting quail with a short barreled double gun........but you have perked my interest in short barreled versions. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Number of posts : 3706
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: late 19th century Cowboy guns   Tue 23 Aug - 20:04

scratch 
Doug,
You use a term that my dad used to say when he would talk about his double barrel when he got back from hunting birds or rabbits. He used to call it his " LONG TOM ". He used to say, when the other hunters missed, he would raise that long shotgun up to his hip and nailed those rabbits. He left me a double barrel 12 gauge, full choke both barrels, exposed hammers and box ( a few short ) of paper shell's. The box has 4's, 5's and some 6's I think. The stock is in good shape and everything works. Hammers hold until you touch the triggers and the firing pins are free to slide in and out. It's in good shape for however old it is. Thanks for remembering me of some good old memories.

Ray............. t up

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lighthorseman

PostSubject: Re: late 19th century Cowboy guns   Tue 23 Aug - 20:31

Ray

My grand dad's "long Tom" was/is actually a Montgomery Wards shot gun. My uncle and cousins would come to the farm with their semi-auto Brownings and Remington pumps......and I'd go off some where with my single shot and kill twice as many dove as they would sitting over the water holes......I discovered that the dove would follow the dry creek bed in route to various feeding and watering, and I merely sit there and bust them as they flew by. I have the shotgun but it's too warn to safely shoot any more....would like to try and get it fixed and restocked someday!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
strong eagle

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2016-10-11

PostSubject: Re: late 19th century Cowboy guns   Mon 24 Oct - 17:29

ive got a couple of long tom 12 gauges, have no idea who made them. they are old but not damagus twist steel. single barrels. got one for 70 dollars and one for 90 dollars. they have just as good a pattern as a 1500 dollar modern shotgun. i use wallmart target loads to shoot rabbits and grackels around our place. knocks them done at a good distance. also have 3 open top uberti colts and a uberti 1875 remington. they are also great shooters and very very accurate. strong eagle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lighthorseman

PostSubject: Re: late 19th century Cowboy guns   Tue 25 Oct - 8:48

On my "long list" a '49 pocket model or pocket model Remington converted to .22 cal. would be a kick!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: late 19th century Cowboy guns   

Back to top Go down

late 19th century Cowboy guns
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Modern Shooting :: Modern Shooters-
Jump to: