Share | 

Powder, bullets and such

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
saddlesore

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2016-06-14

PostSubject: Powder, bullets and such   October 10th 2016, 3:59 pm

Need some advice.I have been ML hunting since about 1975, Used a TC Hawkin, then a TC Black Diamond and have killed several elk with each.

I usded the 370 gr Maxiballs , Black Powder, 77 and Pyrodex. For the Black Diamond,I used 295 or348 gr Power belts and Black powder or 777.All preformed very well

This year, I got a new inline ( TC Impact )  and started using BH209 powder and 348 gr Powerbelts for elk and 295's for deer. Both shot accureately

The cow elk I shot at about 30 yards did not get a pass thru and although I hit in back of the shoulder, double lung ,I still got a lot of blood shot meat  in the shoulders using 100 gr of BH209.. Plus the 348 gr PB was pretty close to flat when I found it under the hide on the far side. Weight was about 165 gr. It only hit a rib on the far side and stopped.

So I reduced to 90 grains for the deer hunt I had this weekend.

That 295 gr PB was flattened completely, ,did not exit on a smallish whitetail probably only 100 pounds. It clipped a hind quarter and angle up thru the lungs, stopping on the far side and had broken one rib, but no other bones.It was a pretty drastic quartering shoot, but I was confident I could make it at about30 yards and did.

Lot of blood shot meat again.

Should I  drop down to 80 grs of BH209 and still keep shooting PB's or go to a tougher bullet.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14398
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Powder, bullets and such   October 10th 2016, 4:06 pm

Try the 338gr platinum if you want pass through.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
saddlesore

PostSubject: Re: Powder, bullets and such   October 10th 2016, 10:19 pm

I don't necessarily need a pass thru, just more weight retention and less expansion
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9492
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Powder, bullets and such   October 11th 2016, 6:30 am

Use a better bullet. What you're describing is typical of Powerbelts.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
saddlesore

PostSubject: Re: Powder, bullets and such   October 11th 2016, 9:48 am

Muley wrote:
Use a better bullet. What you're describing is typical of Powerbelts.
Not necessarily.I have used Power belts in the past with great results. Jus tas I have had using pure lead Maxiballs. I'm thinking the 209 is pushing them a lot faster than the BP or 777 I was using in other guns. Most critisizing I have heard from guys about Power belts seem to be from that cause. Sort of like pushing Sierra Game Kings faster than their intended design usage.

As an example,here is a 295 Gr PB that I dug out an elk  on the far side, under the hide  using 100 gr of Black Powder. The  elk was at about  80 yards.

So I would like to hear from guys that have used lower charges of 209 and Powerbelts since I have good supply of them.
I shoot all my elk relatively close so I don't need super sonic speed

Last edited by saddlesore on October 11th 2016, 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Powder, bullets and such   October 11th 2016, 10:05 am

You asked if you should stay with PB's, or go to a tougher bullet. I gave my opinion, and I assume you don't like it. Why did you ask?

Yes, you used too much powder. Most guys do.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14398
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Powder, bullets and such   October 11th 2016, 10:32 am

One other powerbelt I'd use in a heartbeat is that nasty 300gr aerolite. That sucker frags, but thats what it was meant to due, penetrate and come apart, leaving a huge entrance hole. Just a nasty nasty bullet when ever it hits something.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
saddlesore

PostSubject: Re: Powder, bullets and such   October 11th 2016, 12:21 pm

Muley wrote:
You asked if you should stay with PB's, or go to a tougher bullet. I gave my opinion, and I assume you don't like it. Why did you ask?

No I asked either or. I am not interested in opinions, every one has one. Just pointing out that PB's do not always come apart as mentioned. I am trying to find out basically the difference in loading 209 vs BP. Is it that much hotter and would 80 grs of 209 give similar results I have had  in the past with 100 gr of BP

. I am not opposed to changing bullets,but don't want to keep killing elk or deer with the PB's or another bullet to get an answer.  I probably don't have that many more hunting seasons left in me to find that out myself.

I am not out to have a argument/discussion of which is the best bullet to use based on opinions. Slap fight

Frontiergunner, Yea,the bullet I hit the deer with was a 295 gr Aerolite. Maybe they discontinued that and replaced it with the300gr. It sure tore a 2" hole at the entrance.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoexBlackhorn

Male Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2015-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Powder, bullets and such   October 12th 2016, 11:15 am

I prefer the hollow-point copper-clad Powerbelts over the green-tipped versions. Better expansion.

The Platinums are the cats-meow, but expensive, even right before Christmas, on Closeout over at Walmart. That's when I get Platinums for a buck and the HP coppers for 70 cents.

Powerbelts are the most accurate, of any bullet I've used in the past. I also use 300gr XTPs, the 44-cal non-mag version.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Powder, bullets and such   October 12th 2016, 11:25 am

@saddlesore wrote:
Muley wrote:

No I asked either or. I am not interested in opinions, every one has one. Just pointing out that PB's do not always come apart as mentioned. I am trying to find out basically the difference in loading 209 vs BP. Is it that much hotter and would 80 grs of 209 give similar results I have had  in the past with 100 gr of BP

. I am not opposed to changing bullets,but don't want to keep killing elk or deer with the PB's or another bullet to get an answer.  I probably don't have that many more hunting seasons left in me to find that out myself.

I am not out to have a argument/discussion of which is the best bullet to use based on opinions. Slap fight

Frontiergunner, Yea,the bullet I hit the deer with was a 295 gr Aerolite. Maybe they discontinued that and replaced it with the300gr. It sure tore a 2" hole at the entrance.

You used the 295gr Aerotip. The 300gr Aerolite is a new bullet meant for lighter powder loads.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
saddlesore

PostSubject: Re: Powder, bullets and such   October 12th 2016, 3:26 pm

I have not seen that 300 gr Aerolite on shelves around here yet. Thanks for the tip.I will start watching for it.

BTW. Are you the same Pete from Buena Vista that got fed up with the jerks on24hourcampfire and left?. If so,I remember you put me on to a source for that Obernauf's boot treatment
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Powder, bullets and such   

Back to top Go down

Powder, bullets and such
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: