Muzzleloading Forum

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

anybody interested in paperpatching lead bullets for the inline muzzleloader?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
strong eagle

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2016-10-11

PostSubject: anybody interested in paperpatching lead bullets for the inline muzzleloader?   October 11th 2016, 8:59 pm

that about says it all, i use them in my custom made inline as well as a fast twist side lock i built for my self. will explain them if their is a interest but if no interest wont. makes them preform as well as a 50/90 sharps.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9492
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: anybody interested in paperpatching lead bullets for the inline muzzleloader?   October 12th 2016, 7:12 am

What do they weigh? I'm interested.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
strong eagle

PostSubject: Re: anybody interested in paperpatching lead bullets for the inline muzzleloader?   October 12th 2016, 7:42 am

thanks for your interest. the inline i have is a 1/32 twist, and the side lock is 1/28. they require a bullet about 480 grains to be stable. a 500 grain bullet would be the perfect average for these two guns. recently i bought a lee 50 cal minie bullet mold that throws a 376 grain bullet. i pp them and could not get them to shoot consisntanly accurate in either gun. according to the greenhill formula the mini needs about 1 1/48 twist to shoot stable and my guns were too fast a twist for them. in the real science of the right bullet for the right twist of a gun, its the length of the bullet and not the weight. as most muzzleloader bullets dont have long noses, then you can go by weight. paperpatching is real real easy to learn. you require a pushthrough resizer die to resize the bullet and number 9 paper. for the 50 cal the resizer should be .492 and for a 45 cal .440. you do not need the expensive hard to find 25 percent cotton paper, just plain old number nine wood fiber paper will do. with muzzleloader paperpatching you also dont have to put it on wet as cartridge rifle shooter do. a dry wrapped bullet works fine. idaho ron uses chap stick to lube the paper on the bullet just before you load it and i also find that works perfectly also. no matter what kind of powder you use you should wipe between rounds and also use a 60 thousands hard fiber wad between bullet and powder. some use felt wads with good success also. if you want more info, i can give you that. pp a bullet makes you independent of the cost of buying over the counter bullets for your inline. they are heavier and hit as hard as a 50/90 sharps. my two guns are extreemly accurate. two days ago i took my inline to my shooting bench and shot 2 rounds at 50 yards and thought i missed the second round completly but in fact i went through the first hole. i tried a third round and aimed 1/2 inch below that first hole and thats where i hit. i then shot at a spot on a box at 100 yards and went through the center of that tiny spot.. cant get better than that. i have a 9 power scope on the inline. the push through resizer can be had from lee. a .492 and a .440 would be special order and cost i think about 40 bucks. i also have a 45   1/30 twist side lock i built for my self and it shoots a 335 grain kieth noses pp bullet. with the 50 cals i use 80 grains behind the bullet of powder as more makes too much recoil and with the 45 i use 50 grains of powder. the 45 is also very very accurate. hope i helped you with this information. strong eagle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: anybody interested in paperpatching lead bullets for the inline muzzleloader?   October 12th 2016, 8:52 am

I bought some Hornady Great Plains 385gr bullets. I'll see how they do. The gun has 1-28 twist and only weighs 6 1/2lbs. Open sights restricts me to 50-60yds. I'm thinking 75-80gr of 2F should work for a cow elk.

I wanted to shoot the 460gr NoExcuses, but they were way too loose in the bore. Paper patching might have worked.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
strong eagle

PostSubject: Re: anybody interested in paperpatching lead bullets for the inline muzzleloader?   October 12th 2016, 9:56 am

if your 460 grain bullet is lead it will work much better for accuracy. i will tell you how to make it work as a cast bullet. you say it is too loose so do this simple thing to make them fit. roll that bullet between to large sharp clean flatfiles to knarl them up in size. that is a old method to increase the size in diam of a lead bullet. then lube it with lee alox and let dry. to start this bullet buy a real small rubber hammer and tap it into the bore carefully. it may work without a wad but a fiber wad between bullet and powder is best as the wad seals the gasses so their is no gas cutting of the bullet. i find the smaller grain bullets are real hard to shoot accuratly as they gyro spin out of control as the twist is too fast for them. you 460 grain bullet can be made to work by knarling up. or you can size it to .492 and double wrap with number nine paper. i wouldnt go over 80 grains of powder for that big of a bullet as recoil can become too much. their is always a way as the science of shooting are constant, you just have to learn them and they are secrets no more. strong eagle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: anybody interested in paperpatching lead bullets for the inline muzzleloader?   October 12th 2016, 10:02 am

I knurled the hell out of them. The problem is it's such soft lead (pure lead) that the knurling compresses too easily and they're still too loose when they get to the powder.

What's needed is they should have been sized/cast bigger, but all he offers is the one size of .503. That would be fine with a harder material, but not soft lead.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
strong eagle

PostSubject: Re: anybody interested in paperpatching lead bullets for the inline muzzleloader?   October 12th 2016, 10:33 am

why dont you try paperpatching them with various diam of paper. if they are way undersized, start with thin paper ,2 wraps and then if still undersized go to progressively thicker paper. strong eagle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: anybody interested in paperpatching lead bullets for the inline muzzleloader?   October 12th 2016, 10:38 am

I should have tried it when I still had them. I'm hoping the 385gr coming will work now. They're pretty cheap to buy, so i'm hoping they work.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: anybody interested in paperpatching lead bullets for the inline muzzleloader?   

Back to top Go down

anybody interested in paperpatching lead bullets for the inline muzzleloader?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: