HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Need help with a good conical for a 54 Hawken

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JohnnyT

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2016-10-11

PostSubject: Need help with a good conical for a 54 Hawken   Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:30 pm

Hi I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for advice on a good conical bullet for a Cabela's Investarms 54 Hawken. 54's are harder to find now days and I've tried many that are available with mixed results in accuracy. The conical I had the best accuracy with was the Buffalo Bullet Co. 390 gr. However as far as I know they are no longer around. I am looking to hunt deer and black bear with this gun and could use some info on a good load. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
strong eagle

Number of posts : 58

PostSubject: question   Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:45 am

what is the twist of your rifle? if i know that i can do the math and tell you the length of the bullet to look for to shoot in your rifle. strong eagle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyT

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a good conical for a 54 Hawken   Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:31 am

1 in 48. Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
strong eagle

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a good conical for a 54 Hawken   Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:05 pm

a conical that is .9 inches long will give you extreem accuracy and work in your 54 cal rifle. if it is undersized too much knarl it up between two large clean flat files then lube with lee alox. tap it carefully into the bore with a small rubber hammer. if you can make felt or fiber wads then use a wad between powder and bullet. dont go over 80 grains of powder. useing this method you should get consistant good accuracy. always wipe between rounds. about a year ago i taught a retire airforce officer how to shoot his 54 cal  rifle with paperpatched bullets. he got 1 inch groups at 100 yards and went elk hunting with it. the good thing about the 1/48 twist your rifle has is the bullet doesnt have to be overly heavy to shoot perfectly. again one .9 long will do the trick. strong eagle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14398
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a good conical for a 54 Hawken   Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:20 pm

may check out the hornady great plains bullet or consider buying a lyman maxi ball mould and cast your self. Otherwise, a .54cal patched round ball is a very affordable projectile and very reliable.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
lighthorseman

Male Number of posts : 708
Registration date : 2016-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a good conical for a 54 Hawken   Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:47 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:
may check out the hornady great plains bullet or consider buying a lyman maxi ball mould and cast your self. Otherwise, a .54cal patched round ball is a very affordable projectile and very reliable.

What Jon said!

One page of history is worth more than a book of logic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyT

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a good conical for a 54 Hawken   Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:11 pm

Thank you guys for the info. I tried the Hornady great plains and they didn't do so well, I've been using 100 grins of powder tho, maybe its too much, I'll try a smaller charge. Strong Eagle, I don't get what bullet length has to do with it. Forgive me but I'm not to educated on traditional muzzleloaders yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyT

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a good conical for a 54 Hawken   Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:18 pm

Also, I bought a mould for Lee R.E.A.L bullets, they just dropped down the barrel and I tried the maxi balls from Track of the Wolf they were kind of loose in the barrel too. I was thinking of trying minie bullets.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a good conical for a 54 Hawken   Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:41 pm

for sure you need to back that charge down to around 70-80gr and see how those great plains bullets do.

If its like the other 3 I had, the rear section of the barrel has a slight bell and loosens up. Its pure hell getting a lead conical to stay in place.
Back to top Go down
JohnnyT

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a good conical for a 54 Hawken   Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:29 pm

Thanks, I'll try the lesser charge. Will 70-80 grains be good for deer and black bear?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a good conical for a 54 Hawken   Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:32 pm

yes with that big conical, thats more than enough powder. Even with a round ball that's an elk load.
Back to top Go down
JohnnyT

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a good conical for a 54 Hawken   Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:41 pm

Great, thank you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
strong eagle

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a good conical for a 54 Hawken   Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:41 pm

the length of the bullet is every thing in relation to the twist of the rifle. major greenhill of the english army in the 1800/s devised the formula to develop bullets in relation to the twist of a rifle to give the best accuracy. if a conical bullet spins too fast it will gyroscope some and shoot badly in accuracy. if it spins too slow it will tumble. their is a perfect medium. its not rocket science and has worked 100 percent of the time for me in the several muzzleloaders ive built.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyT

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a good conical for a 54 Hawken   Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:16 pm

That's interesting, I will check the length of my bullets. Thanks for explaining.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyT

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a good conical for a 54 Hawken   Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:59 am

Thanks for all the help. I shot my Hawken this past week with the 425gr, great plains and 80gr of powder. The gun was pretty much right on at 50 yards. I have to order some more bullets so I can fine tune it out to about 100 yards. Thanks again guys.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a good conical for a 54 Hawken   

Back to top Go down

Need help with a good conical for a 54 Hawken
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: