View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
GregK

Male Number of posts : 3056
Registration date : 2012-01-22

PostSubject: Re: NEW BUILD COMING   October 29th 2016, 3:01 pm

@hawgslayer wrote:
Dave, Greg I hope you didn't take anything I said to heart because it was said in fun. Doesn't matter what you shoot. We are all having fun with this and there is no merit to it. Just fun. I like to get you guys and our friend Carlos going with the smokeless stuff. Just fun.

Ray................
Not at all Ray! We all know you & knew just what you meant. You're good buddy.

Greg

McRem 40cal SML

LEUPOLD 4-12X40 VX-R 30mm, CDS, FIRE DOT
CEB 40/240, 76gr IMR 4895
2600 ft/s

CVA APEX .358 SML & .45 ML
LUEPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R CDS, FIRE DOT, WIND PLEX

Knight Mountainer LTD
45cal / 1-20 twist
LEUPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R 30mm WIND PLEX CDS FIREDOT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dlethcoe

Male Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2012-02-19

PostSubject: Re: NEW BUILD COMING   October 29th 2016, 3:44 pm

@hawgslayer wrote:
Dave, Greg I hope you didn't take anything I said to heart because it was said in fun. Doesn't matter what you shoot. We are all having fun with this and there is no merit to it. Just fun. I like to get you guys and our friend Carlos going with the smokeless stuff. Just fun.

Ray................
Ray, 
We are all friends and try to help each other out along with the new to the sport. 
It has been brought up a couple of times from a couple of people that the smoke pole is the only way, and nothing else is real, well they come to the forum to learn, that is the reason it is set up for different areas, not just 1 style of gun, if the forum is not set up for people to learn about different things AND DIFFERENT GUNS, Then let us know.

Dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dlethcoe

Male Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2012-02-19

PostSubject: Re: NEW BUILD COMING   October 29th 2016, 3:45 pm

@hawgslayer wrote:

Ray................
Ray, 
We are all friends and try to help each other out along with the new to the sport. 
It has been brought up a couple of times from a couple of people that the smoke pole is the only way, and nothing else is real, well they come to the forum to learn, that is the reason it is set up for different areas, not just 1 style of gun, if the forum is not set up for people to learn about different things AND DIFFERENT GUNS, Then let us know.

Dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cvilorio
FML's
FML's

Number of posts : 1572
Registration date : 2010-03-12

PostSubject: Re: NEW BUILD COMING   October 29th 2016, 6:43 pm

@BigAl52 wrote:
Smokless is a passing fad
Let me address this situation as best as I can. As far as SML being just a passing fad, like Greg state you might want to go to Dougs and check thing out and you might learn a few thing there. SML's are here to stay, and there are more being built today than you can shake a stick at. I have shot them all, from smoke poles to inlines to brake open, and have enjoyed them all, but I do move along with new technology and improvements. Are SML's flawless, do you think that once you get one you just put powder in it, a bullet, primer, and take it out to the range, and it will shoot bug holes at 100 yrds., NO you have to play with it just like you do regular ML, and find the right load combo that it likes and then you might shoot the bug holes. IT is a lot of work, that some guys don't want to mess with. What do they have over the traditional ml's and the inlines, for one they can shoot any form regular black powder, T7, Pyrodex or anything else that is black powder sub, and much more efficiently, where your guns will only handle the subs at a certain charges. The SML's are designed to stand close to 55000 kpsi, bu we do not even come close to that. Some powders create greater pressure than others, so we go back and forth trying to find one that will give you the speed you want with a low kpsi. For example, my .458, in which I shoot a 302 gr. and 344 gr. bullet going at a speed of 2900 fps, I had to find a powder that would keep the kpsi around 48000, and it took a lot of testing, but I did and that is the fun of it. There has been more development done by the SML guys and builders in the pass few years than in any other field. We have gone from a front sealing BP (savage plug) to a smaller rear sealing BP which is more efficient, we have gone from vent liners to carbide and tungsten bushing. The priming systems have evolve, even though we use the 209 primers, we have some priming systems that use modules with a large mag rifle primers in them, and some screw in modules, and they are more efficient than the 209 in cold weather. Calibers are another thing. When I built my first one it was a 45 cal. from there we have gone to subcalibers, like 40 cal., 375 cal., 358 cal., and I know of two 30 cal.ones a 338 cal. one, and even a 270 cal.. So as you see we are still going strong, and will continue to grow. Don't have anything against traditional ML's, I think they are great, and if you want to dress up in buckskin clothing and go hunting more power to you, it is what makes you happy. Just don't make a statement with out knowing the facts about what you are talking about. One more thing about the SML's is that we have eliminated the weak link which is the sabots. most of them use a smooth size bullet or a fullform form bullet down the barrel, that is why they are so accurate. The most common platform to built one is the 700 ML action, but now we are beginning to use standard 700 short actions which are better, and yes they are the most costly, but you can have one built for around 600 to 700 by using brake action center fire gun.
Ray you are my friend and my buddy, and you will always be, and I knew what you meant. So don't worry about anything we are still tight. Just remember what I told about your hunt, ALWAYS BY READY FOR THE UNEXPECTED. Go make some smoke, but I'm still going to get you in the DARK SIDE.
Sorry long explanation, but I thought it was necessary, to try to educate some people.
Carlos
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GregK

PostSubject: Re: NEW BUILD COMING   October 29th 2016, 7:38 pm

Very well said Carlos! Thanks buddy,

Greg

McRem 40cal SML

2600 ft/s

Knight Mountainer LTD
45cal / 1-20 twist
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Number of posts : 3704
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: NEW BUILD COMING   October 30th 2016, 10:48 am

I'm glad no one took offense to my clowning around. If anyone did I apologize. The forum is a place of education as well as to have some fun.  As for me, I've learned more about those smokeless ml'ers then I knew before thanks to Carlos, Dave and Greg. I'm sure it took them a long time to get everything right and post it here on the forum in hopes that it helps other members. It's just not the posting of their targets and giving a range report. It's to show the performance they achieved from different powders, sabots, bullets and primers. I thank you for posting the info. I'm sure it has helped  and has answered questions some members might have had.
  Who knows maybe one day I'll get caught up in "THE DARK DANCER'S WEB" also. headslap

Ray................. Wink

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigAl52
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2016-02-03

PostSubject: Re: NEW BUILD COMING   October 30th 2016, 11:28 am

You guys took that comment all out of context. It was nothing more that a tonque and cheek comment. Calm down it was mentioned not to stir up a hornets nest. Sorry maybe I should have inserted a smiley to avoid that. Al

TC Renegade 58 cal Green Mtn drop in barrel
TC Renegade 58 cal
TC Hawken 58 cal
TC Hawken 50 cal Green Mtn drop in barrel
GRRW Hawken 50 cal
Lyman GPR 54 cal flintlock L&R lock davis deerslayer trigger
Lyman Trade Rifle 54 cal
CVA Hawken 58 cal
Back to top Go down
View user profile
olecoop

Male Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2014-04-15

PostSubject: Re: NEW BUILD COMING   October 30th 2016, 12:25 pm

It took me three years to go over to The Dark Side,in just the last couple of weeks did I get to shoot it.Had it since June.But that does not mean that I have totally given up the ''Smoke Pole''.NMow I have the best of both worlds.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GregK

PostSubject: Re: NEW BUILD COMING   October 30th 2016, 6:42 pm

@hawgslayer wrote:
I'm glad no one took offense to my clowning around. If anyone did I apologize. The forum is a place of education as well as to have some fun.  As for me, I've learned more about those smokeless ml'ers then I knew before thanks to Carlos, Dave and Greg. I'm sure it took them a long time to get everything right and post it here on the forum in hopes that it helps other members. It's just not the posting of their targets and giving a range report. It's to show the performance they achieved from different powders, sabots, bullets and primers. I thank you for posting the info. I'm sure it has helped  and has answered questions some members might have had.
  Who knows maybe one day I'll get caught up in "THE DARK DANCER'S WEB" also. headslap

Ray................. Wink
Very nice post Ray 😊 You know it's a two way street right? There are newer & much better ways of getting the most from a sidelock. Enough that I'd have to learn it all over again.
We always have fun with you & we've also learned a lot over the years on this forum. And just like you, it's our privilege to share here & help anyone we can.
Thanks for your help as well Ray 😊😊

Greg

McRem 40cal SML

2600 ft/s

Knight Mountainer LTD
45cal / 1-20 twist
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GregK

PostSubject: Re: NEW BUILD COMING   October 30th 2016, 6:50 pm

@BigAl52 wrote:
You guys took that comment all out of context. It was nothing more that a tonque and cheek comment. Calm down it was mentioned not to stir up a hornets nest. Sorry maybe I should have inserted a smiley to avoid that. Al
Yeah, that might have helped.

Greg

McRem 40cal SML

2600 ft/s

Knight Mountainer LTD
45cal / 1-20 twist
Back to top Go down