HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Lyman GPH and Pedersoli Traditional Hawken Hunter

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
setch

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2015-04-21

PostSubject: Lyman GPH and Pedersoli Traditional Hawken Hunter   November 2nd 2016, 8:15 pm

All, I have been fooling around with a couple different guns over the past 6 months and nothing is really what I am after. I have gotten to the point of looking at the 2 subject rifles. As you can tell, I want a fast twist for sabots/canonicals, and like really the ghost ring on the pedersoli and would do a peep on the GPH.

What can you tell me about these in comparison to each other...advantages, disadvantages, etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14398
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Lyman GPH and Pedersoli Traditional Hawken Hunter   November 2nd 2016, 8:36 pm

Setch, since you want to shoot conicals and sabots, the Pedersoli Hunter would be the way to go with its 1:24 twist. Plus its already set up with a peep which saves you $70 plus the head ache of putting one on the GPR. Soft recoil pad and lighter overall weight as well. It may not have the looks of a GPR but for the shooting you want to do, it might be the better way to go.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
setch

PostSubject: Re: Lyman GPH and Pedersoli Traditional Hawken Hunter   November 2nd 2016, 8:53 pm

The GPH has a 1:32 twist, which is pretty fast, but that was my thought as well. And it occurred to me also that the GPH is better looking, but I'm more focused on utility.

If there are other options for a fast twist, let me know.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9492
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Lyman GPH and Pedersoli Traditional Hawken Hunter   November 3rd 2016, 6:40 am

I'm curious. Why do you want a traditional muzzleloader to shoot modern ammo?

It's similar to someone buying an inline to shoot a PRB.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
setch

PostSubject: Re: Lyman GPH and Pedersoli Traditional Hawken Hunter   November 3rd 2016, 7:18 am

Fair question. I hunt PA late flintlock and thus can only use a flintlock. My eyes are getting old and I want modern (open) sights.

I need to settle on 50cal vs 54...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9492
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Lyman GPH and Pedersoli Traditional Hawken Hunter   November 3rd 2016, 8:24 am

I understand about the sights. I have crappy vision. I'm talking about the load you shoot. I assume you're going to be hunting for deer?

Why not get a Lyman Great Plains Rifle (GPR) in .54 flintlock and use a PRB. It's exactly what i'm using next year for elk. It will take out any deer. Even a big muley is no problem.

Then you'd be using a weapon in the spirit of a flintlock season.

Just my opinion. Of course you can do whatever you choose to.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14398
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Lyman GPH and Pedersoli Traditional Hawken Hunter   November 3rd 2016, 9:22 am

conicals and sabots, .50cal is the way to go without a doubt!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
setch

PostSubject: Re: Lyman GPH and Pedersoli Traditional Hawken Hunter   November 3rd 2016, 10:34 am

Muley, my dad has a GPR i can shoot when i want to and i have a T/C renegade that handles pbr pretty well, so i feel i can embrace that spirit whenever.

FrontierGander, as always...you are a wealth of information - thnx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lyman GPH and Pedersoli Traditional Hawken Hunter   

Back to top Go down

Lyman GPH and Pedersoli Traditional Hawken Hunter
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: