28" VS 32" Barrel + Precision Packer

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Admin

Male Number of posts : 14267
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: 28" VS 32" Barrel + Precision Packer   February 1st 2017, 2:09 pm

Did a little testing today with the 28" and 32" Traditions sidelocks. Gorgeous day! Another 60* day 3 days in a row. Windy, but I wasn't shooting for accuracy.

Traditions St.Louis Hawken .50cal 1:48 twist, 28" barrel

Both rifles shot the same loads of 80gr Pyrodex RS, .490" round ball, .020" patches and seated using the Muzzleloading Precision Packer.

Both rifles were also swabbed between shots to try to keep things clean and consistent.

Chrony set at 20 feet and level in all 3 corners.

28" Barrel FPS -
1,718 Clean Bore
------------

Traditions Mountain Rifle
32" Barrel FPS -
1,746 Clean Bore

I also took one more shot and used the wood ramrod to seat the charge and while it did not hang fire, the powder did not fully light up. Very weak recoil and a low muffled sound when the rifle went off. Im using a factory nipple, so that just might be the issue with Pyrodex RS. This registered 1,545 FPS.

By mistake, the Mountain Rifle grouped amazing! I never paid much attention to the target other than focusing the front sight on the bulls eye at 6 o'clock and so my barrel and the rest of the sight covers were the balls actually impact. After the last shot I turned around and noticed a bright green spot and went, holy......!  I had no clue she'd shoot this pretty at 100 yards. Slightly and I mean ever slightly, under 2" group at 100 yards.

Both rifles performed great and shot great.  I personally like the St.Louis Hawken better with the shorter barrel. It just seems a lot lighter and easier to handle.

Overall, I did not see a huge performance gain with a barrel that is 4" longer. I shoot the most accurate loads, not the most powerful loads, because accuracy and being able to place those shots matters most to me than going out there and throwing huge powder charges down range that don't group worth a spit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
TXAg85

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2016-11-18

PostSubject: Re: 28" VS 32" Barrel + Precision Packer   February 4th 2017, 6:35 am

What is a Muzzleloading Precision Packer?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 28" VS 32" Barrel + Precision Packer   February 4th 2017, 10:26 pm

This little gadget that seats your projectile consistently on top of the powder charge,
http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com/t9798-traditions-hawken-woodsman-precision-packer
Back to top Go down
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1247
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: 28" VS 32" Barrel + Precision Packer   February 5th 2017, 5:42 am

That is a good report.   Some fine shooting too!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 28" VS 32" Barrel + Precision Packer   February 5th 2017, 11:15 am

I'll be out later in the day to test some crazy 100gr jim shockeys gold charges at 50 yards lol. I know it won't shoot for darn, but why the heck not, its a beautiful day.
Back to top Go down
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: 28" VS 32" Barrel + Precision Packer   February 5th 2017, 3:55 pm

Wish we had some warm weather up here I would head out to the range myself.  My wife and I went for a walk because it was sunny out but the temp was 22 degrees with a little wind.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”   Will Rogers

Semper Fi……..

Cabelas Investarm Hawken .58 Cal. Flintlock
Pennsylvania Fowler 20 ga.  (.62 Cal.)  Flintlock
Isaac Haines rifle .50 Cal  Flintlock
CVA Accura MR (Nitride) .50 Cal.
T/C Encore .50 Cal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 28" VS 32" Barrel + Precision Packer   

Back to top Go down

28" VS 32" Barrel + Precision Packer