View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14399
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Bullet mold cleaner   February 17th 2017, 1:07 pm

Found this out by accident yesterday when some beeswax got into my new mold. Its terribly hard to remove the soot from the cavity of a mold. Then the idea hit me. SHOOTOUT! I grabbed a Q tip and a little shootout lube and dippged the Q-tip in and swirled it around in the round ball mold and everything came out perfectly clean with little work. Just heads up on what else you can use the shootout lube for! Its gentle enough to use even on aluminum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5113
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Bullet mold cleaner   February 17th 2017, 4:35 pm

They tell you to soot up the mold with a butane lighter to help with separation of the casting from the mold.
Are you supposed to clean the mold? I never have.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14399
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Bullet mold cleaner   February 17th 2017, 5:30 pm

Yes they are very oily.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com

PostSubject: Re: Bullet mold cleaner   June 16th 2017, 7:46 am

All that is needed is a good clean mold, when i first started i smoked my molds per Lee instructions, i was later told by trusted sources that smoking a mold was ABSOLUTELY unnecessary, they were dead on correct! A good clean mold, running correctly does NOT need any kind of soot/release agent. I have 4 Custom molds From Accurate Molds and i have never used any kind of release agent, Sooting the mold slightly changes the diameter of the bullet/ball, there is just no need to do it! When i open my molds my bullets freely fall from them, at most a slight peck now and then on the handle hinge bolt.

The most important part is running your alloy at proper temp, another VERY important part is to Keep your sprue plate loose enough you can swing the mold out by hand and have the sprue open, if you get the Sprue plate to tight you will Gall the top of the mold, i use bullshop sprue lube, VERY SPARINGLY i touch the alignment pins with a TINY bit of sprue lube, and the bolt holding the Sprue plate on (very careful here, a tiny bit to much and it will migrate into the Cavity, causing wrinkled bullets.) I am confident this bullshop sprue lube is nothing more than 2 Cycle oil, Even Tom at Accurate Molds recommends 2 Cycle engine oil
Back to top Go down
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1141
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Bullet mold cleaner   July 16th 2017, 3:50 pm

I have found after all these years that smoking a mold was unnecessary, have smoked them, used unsmoked and never found if any a difference.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bullet mold cleaner   

Back to top Go down

Bullet mold cleaner
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Projectiles-
Jump to: