View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1285
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: ID Rifle Carried   March 14th 2017, 1:43 am

The following pic is of my Great Uncle Howard. 
Can you confirm that the rifle he carries is a M1903? 
Can you add any further information from what you see? 

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1255
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: ID Rifle Carried   March 14th 2017, 6:41 am

The rifle your Uncle is holding is a US Model 1917 Enfield.  More 1917 Enfield rifles  were used in France in WWI than 1903 Springfield models.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clyde

Number of posts : 347
Registration date : 2011-11-27

PostSubject: Re: ID Rifle Carried   March 14th 2017, 10:18 am

Yes Enfield model 1917 made by Remington and Winchester under contract.  Originally it was a British rifle in an experimental cartridge known as the .276 but the British did not want to replace the SMLE in the beginning of WW 1 and boy were they right.  

However as it took time to manufacturer the SMLE they converted the .276 to fire .303 and awarded contracts to Remington and Winchester when the US declared war we were close to 1 million rifles short Rock Island and Springfield armories couldn't make up the shortfall so once again they were converted to 30-06 and as Falcon says more of them went to France than did Springfields.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: ID Rifle Carried   March 14th 2017, 6:11 pm

Fascinating! 

And, that France note sparked a long buried memory of stories around the dining room table. Uncle Howard was deployed in France and I had forgotten I knew that. Great Grandpa was less than sympathetic to his service and sent him an angry note while he was at the front: "Quit fooling around and get your butt back here and tend to the farm!" 

About the rifle, gents, how can you tell? I look and have a tough time telling the difference. 
Here are three of the M1903 types and an Enfield 1917. I was aware of the 1917 because of Sgt York, but confess I can't tell the difference without reading the name off the rifle. 

M1903 Variations

Enfield 1917

PS Wait. Seeing these laid out, I can tell the difference now! Thank you! And, as I listen, I noticed the Remington/Springfield difference. Here are the Springfield M1903s

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

PostSubject: Re: ID Rifle Carried   March 14th 2017, 7:34 pm

IMO:  The 1917 Enfield handles like a club compared to the M1903 Springfield.  In the mid 1980s i came into  five  model 1917 Enfield rifles when an American Legion post disbanded.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: ID Rifle Carried   March 14th 2017, 8:39 pm

Wow. Five? 
(Stops to wonder how many arms and eyes falcon has... Wink

I am surprised there is that big a difference in feel.

I have always been interested in the 1917 Enfield because of the Sgt. York movie. 
But now, I need to bump it up higher on my list. Can't wait to hold one now that I know it 
was Uncle Howard's. I have held a 1903 before. 

Uncle Howard actually enjoyed France. Great Grandpa was a task master. The family laughed 
about that for years. It is part of why I was able to remember that from all those years ago when 
you triggered me with France. The picture was a new family discovery.

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark1945

Male Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2015-08-20

PostSubject: Re: ID Rifle Carried   March 15th 2017, 10:04 am

There was also a ton of them manufactured by Eddystone not just Winchester and Remington . I have a eddystone that I sporterized many years ago and rechambered to 300 win mag they have a very strong action .

Cabelas 58 cal Hawken             Colt Navy 36 cal                     Pietta 1863 Remington pocket rev 31 cal
Pedersoli Kodiak 58 cal             CVA 58 Cal. Mountain Rifle      Classic Arms Co 44 Cal New Orleans Ace
CVA 45 Cal Derringer               TC Renegade 54cal                 Navy Arms Co. Pietta 12 gauge double
Pedersoli 12 gauge double        Traditions Crockett 32 cal        2 Traditions Mountain Rifles 50 cal
Pietta 1851 Conf Navy 44
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

PostSubject: Re: ID Rifle Carried   March 15th 2017, 2:36 pm

i had several friends who were WWI veterans.   One was the commander of a machine gun company.  At first they were armed with the Chauchat auto rifle and the Vickers machine gun.   Then the Lewis gun replaced the Chauchat.   Later the Browning model 1917 machine gun replaced the Vickers. 

Jack was gassed with mustard  and phosgene.   He had no toenails or fingernails from the mustard gas exposure.  The nails came out past the quick and stayed soft.  In 1938 they came out with a medication that allowed the nails to grow normally.   Jack was my deer hunting buddy.   He passed away in 1985. 

Then there was my cousin Okey.   Okey was an orphan being raised by his uncle, my grandfather.   Okey was 16 and bad to fight.  My grandfather Told Okey that if he wanted to fight to join the army.  One day granddad sent Okey to the store with five dollars and a grocery list.   Okey came back after WWI was over.  He was in the first shipment of US troops to France.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark1945

Male Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2015-08-20

PostSubject: Re: ID Rifle Carried   March 15th 2017, 7:10 pm

The biggest difference in the 03 and the 17 is 03 cocks on opening and the 17 cocks on closing the bolt . there are several conversion kits to make the 17 cock on opening .installing the kit speeds up the 17 considerably .

Cabelas 58 cal Hawken             Colt Navy 36 cal                     Pietta 1863 Remington pocket rev 31 cal
Pedersoli Kodiak 58 cal             CVA 58 Cal. Mountain Rifle      Classic Arms Co 44 Cal New Orleans Ace
CVA 45 Cal Derringer               TC Renegade 54cal                 Navy Arms Co. Pietta 12 gauge double
Pedersoli 12 gauge double        Traditions Crockett 32 cal        2 Traditions Mountain Rifles 50 cal
Pietta 1851 Conf Navy 44
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ID Rifle Carried   

Back to top Go down

ID Rifle Carried
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Modern Shooting :: Modern Shooters-
Jump to: