Share | 

ignition nightmares

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
crowkiller

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2017-03-31

PostSubject: ignition nightmares   March 31st 2017, 10:14 am

Hey all! I need some help. I recently acquired an old ultra-hi Kentuckian made by miroku in japan. I believe this rifle was a kit gun assembled in the 60's or 70's. looks like they did a good job, but i'm having major ignition problems. I converted over to a musket cap nipple, which has ALWAYS worked on every other smoke pole I've owned over the years, but i'm still having problems. i'm shooting real FFF powder because that's what I have. the rifle is .45 cal. it seems that excessive fouling is the problem, even after one shot! constantly having to put powder under the nipple, but she still misfires 1 out of 3 times.
think switching to 777 might help? maybe drilling the drum? ANY suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark1945

Male Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2015-08-20

PostSubject: Re: ignition nightmares   March 31st 2017, 8:18 pm

That's exactly what my CVA did years ago before I drilled the drum have had less then a handful of misfires since and that was over 30 years ago .

Cabelas 58 cal Hawken             Colt Navy 36 cal                     Pietta 1863 Remington pocket rev 31 cal
Pedersoli Kodiak 58 cal             CVA 58 Cal. Mountain Rifle      Classic Arms Co 44 Cal New Orleans Ace
CVA 45 Cal Derringer               TC Renegade 54cal                 Navy Arms Co. Pietta 12 gauge double
Pedersoli 12 gauge double        Traditions Crockett 32 cal        2 Traditions Mountain Rifles 50 cal
Pietta 1851 Conf Navy 44
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14393
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: ignition nightmares   March 31st 2017, 8:26 pm

Using t7 would make the problem worse. If no powder is making it under the nipple, that breech may need a good cleaning and possibly deburring as something is stopping up the powder.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1117
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: ignition nightmares   May 31st 2017, 10:59 am

@mark1945 wrote:
That's exactly what my CVA did years ago before I drilled the drum have had less then a handful of misfires since and that was over 30 years ago .

Mark, expand on what you did to help folks out with this issue on older CVA rifles. I did the same for customers but its been to many years have gone under the bridge, can't remember. Thanks

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
strong eagle

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2016-10-11

PostSubject: Re: ignition nightmares   June 9th 2017, 3:39 pm

enlargeing the fire channel should work well but there is something else that works very well most of the time. drill a 1/32 hole infront of your drum into the combustion chamber. the hole will be in the combustion  chamber close to the back of it. how this makes for better ignition is when the fire tries to reach the powder there is backpressure created by air sealed in the combustion chamber from the bullet. with the new 1/32 hole, the air is easily pushed out when the fire from the cap comes in. no resistance or back pressure at all. this has been done to side locks since the 1840/s. dixie gun works used to print how to do it in there catalog. i know a fellow shooter who did this to all 10 or 11 side locks he has and never had a misfire since. your passage to the powder may be small but this puts the cream on the cake. strong eagle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: ignition nightmares   June 10th 2017, 7:29 am

Is it possible that you left lube or oil protectant in the barrel or chamber before firing?
I have done that and the powder was fouled by the lube. Getting that fouled powder to fire was an iffy proposition.
Ron

BrownBear

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: ignition nightmares   June 10th 2017, 7:53 am

I'm wondering if you're swabbing between shots with a too-tight patch and jag combo. Sure sounds like it with all that fouling going on. A patched jag should go down the bore pretty easy, then "grab" when you pull up so that it drags fouling back up out the bore. A tight combo just shoves all that fouling down near the breech and leaves it there. Pretty darned common mistake and often the root of guys' fouling issues.

Another possibility is that your musket nipple is too long, darned near bottoming out against the wall of the flame channel.  That will raise cob every time. Just no room for all that extra flame to get to the powder when you add just a little bit of fouling.  With the ease of lighting off real 3f (heck I use it in the pans of my flinters, it's so easy to light), you shouldn't even need a musket cap.

Possibility #3 is that the previous owner wasn't cleaning it well, and there's an accumulation of old fouling hard as coal down in the breech related back to my point about a too-tight patch and jag. In my experience there comes a point when the accumulation of fouling gets so compressed it turns into something like coal and is impervious to water and soap.  I got the bargain of a lifetime on a custom 58 caliber with ignition problems. The previous owner had even installed a musket nipple and had so many issues he sold that sweet rifle to me for about the price of scrap metal, he was so frustrated. 

More details, since I don't know the breech on your Ultra HI:  The custom gun I picked up had a flat breech face and bolster. I pushed a rod down, and it stopped at the bolster rather than the breech face.  Huh....  Started thinking the problem was a too-long bolster. Put a breech scraper on the rod and pressed hard while turning.  Nothing happened for about a dozen spins, then there was a crunch and the scraper kinda hung up. I pulled out a chunk of "coal" about half the size of a pea along with some smaller bits.  Pressed and turned some more with the scraper and more and more chunks of black coal started coming out. In the end I got at least a teaspoon of the stuff out. The scraper easily passed the bolster and rested against the breech face. All was spanky clean. I'm sure there was so much rock-hard fouling in there that the flame couldn't even get to the powder, even with musket caps.

I replaced the musket nipple with a standard #11 and loaded with Goex 3f. Instant boom. Decided to see how far I could push it, and fired 40 shots that day without the slightest hesitation in any of them. Ten years later that sweet rifle hasn't misfired once with standard #11 caps. But I always use a breech scraper when I clean it, along with that fairly loose jag and patch.

Hope that little insight helps sort your problems. It sure made me a winner with a very reliable custom muzzleloader for the whole sum of $100.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9492
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: ignition nightmares   June 10th 2017, 7:58 am

Don't waste your time. He hasn't been back to the forum since April 1st.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BrownBear

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: ignition nightmares   June 10th 2017, 8:12 am

No waste of time. Other folks with problems will read this. Call it payback for my sweet $100 custom rifle. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
strong eagle

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2016-10-11

PostSubject: Re: ignition nightmares   June 15th 2017, 9:03 am

listen to brown bear, a nipple that is too long will either touch the bottom off the flash channel or too close to it. shorten the nipple and maybe your problems are solved. also consider the air relief 1/32 hole in the combustion chamber. both these thing can make for a consistant good ignition if resolved and done. strong eagle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ignition nightmares   

Back to top Go down

ignition nightmares
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Accessories & Tune Up-
Jump to: