View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Thinking about getting a new hunting dog   May 4th 2017, 6:31 pm

I've been thinking about getting a new hunting buddy.  Has anyone had any experience with a Spinone Italiano.  I've only seen them on Facebook pics and YouTube.  It's an Italian pointing and retrieving dog.  They cover the field a little more slowly, good for an older body to keep up with.  I wanted something a little different this time figuring this will probably be my last dog.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”   Will Rogers

Semper Fi……..

Cabelas Investarm Hawken .58 Cal. Flintlock
Pennsylvania Fowler 20 ga.  (.62 Cal.)  Flintlock
Isaac Haines rifle .50 Cal  Flintlock
CVA Accura MR (Nitride) .50 Cal.
T/C Encore .50 Cal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 4959
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting a new hunting dog   May 4th 2017, 8:06 pm

I have had an excellent hunting dog in my Boykin spaniel. They are small (30-40 lbs), great retrievers, like the water for the most part, and are good at flushing game. They don't point.
Mine hunts all types of small game (birds and mammals). She likes rabbits, coons, ducks, and turkeys the best. She also blood trails deer and bays up wild hogs. I've killed over a dozen hogs that she bayed up.

I had Brittanies before her and they are a bit larger (40-50 lbs.) and mild-tempered dogs. Some are good retrievers but they are more geared to gamebirds like quail, Huns, grouse, and pheasants. They are also easier to find.

No matter what breed you get, make sure to research the breeders and only talk to those with hunting stock not show dogs and not field trial dogs if you plan to walk instead of ride a horse or Jeep while hunting.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting a new hunting dog   May 5th 2017, 5:16 am

Good advice Plato.  I was considering a Boykin because of yours.  But can't seem to talk my wife into getting one.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”   Will Rogers

Semper Fi……..

T/C Encore .50 Cal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 4959
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting a new hunting dog   May 5th 2017, 8:51 am

Where you are, it may be difficult to find a good breeder. Some of the Boykins from west of you and in Oregon are awful.
There are 2 good persons sort of local to you that are into Boykins, one is in Germantown, Wisc., Bruce Warnimont, and the other, Phil Hinchman in Indiana. Phil is big into field trials and his dogs tend to be larger (over 40 lbs.) and fairly expensive. If you contact him, he could probably let you know about good breeders closer to you.

http://www.brandywinecreekboykins.com/aboutus.htm

"Good advice Plato."

No one ever mistook me for a philosopher before, thanks. Wink

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting a new hunting dog   May 6th 2017, 8:02 am

Thank you very much!  I'll do some more research.  Haven't completely convinced my better half yet that we really need any dog.  She loves her freedom to come and go without worrying about a little buddy being in the house too long.

Semper Fi……..

T/C Encore .50 Cal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lighthorseman

Male Number of posts : 713
Registration date : 2016-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting a new hunting dog   May 6th 2017, 5:58 pm

The Spinone Italiano is a kissing cousin to the Bracco Italiano.....which we owned two and they are not only amazing pointing, retrieving and scented hunting dogs but amazing pets. Our Bracco "Uncas" could track a wounded deer like either of the two bloodhounds we have had...maybe better. Loved the water could out swim any Lab and was a special alarm while camping when a bear came around......I'd certainly entertain the Spinone!......p.s. had two Brits many years ago...and loved them but their size is a bit of an issue with geese......and not the nose the two Italian dogs have.

One page of history is worth more than a book of logic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting a new hunting dog   May 7th 2017, 4:50 am

Thanks Doug, I watched some YouTube videos of the Bracco Italianos and they are fun to watch work in the field with their fast trotting style.

Semper Fi……..

T/C Encore .50 Cal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting a new hunting dog   May 16th 2017, 8:05 am

I got my new pup.  I settled on the Spinone Italiano.  From what I understand they are one of the oldest breed of hunting dogs.  I drove down to Kansas and visited the breeder, Griffin Hedgrow Hunters.  They raise hunting Spinones  They had six or seven adult dogs so we could see what they were like.  All super friendly.  My wife and daughter named him "Milo".  He's 13 weeks old.

Semper Fi……..

T/C Encore .50 Cal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9492
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting a new hunting dog   May 16th 2017, 8:37 am

Good looking pup.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1185
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting a new hunting dog   May 16th 2017, 9:06 am

Heh, heh! He's got character. And, mischief in his eyes. You should have fun. 
His paws look big. How big do you expect him to get?

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lighthorseman

Male Number of posts : 713
Registration date : 2016-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting a new hunting dog   May 16th 2017, 9:52 am

Sweet! ...should get around 80lbs I think. t up

One page of history is worth more than a book of logic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roaddog

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2016-10-19

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting a new hunting dog   May 18th 2017, 5:56 am

That's a good lookn pup.Looks like he is full of love.What do you plan on huntn with him?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting a new hunting dog   May 18th 2017, 6:16 am

I just weighed him last night and I was surprised to see he is 35 lbs. so far. 70 - 80 lbs I believe is the norm for the Spinone.   I don't hunt upland birds as much as I used to but they are excellent on pheasants.  I'll be using him mostly for them, some Ruffed grouse and occasionally ducks.  About 5% hunting buddy and 95%, just a buddy.  Very Happy

Semper Fi……..

T/C Encore .50 Cal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting a new hunting dog   

Back to top Go down

Thinking about getting a new hunting dog