Converted Percussion Hatfield to Flint – issues

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RonC
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 748
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Converted Percussion Hatfield to Flint – issues   June 4th 2017, 5:38 pm

I put an L&R flint lock in my Hatfield rifle that originally came to me in percussion form. It is the flint lock that is made specifically for the Hatfield conversion. As a percussion rifle, it is fine firearm.
I shot the rifle on Thursday and some problems became apparent. By the third shot, the flash hole liner became clogged, giving me a flash in the pan. I stuck a wire in the flash hole and reamed it out. The rifle fired.
I noticed that the first patch and ball went down the bore very easily. The second required a bit more force to ram down. The third ball and patch was very tight and took significant effort to ram down the barrel.
Next, I used a cleaning patch on the bore and the patch came out dense black.
I repeated the above with 3 more shots and had the same experience.
The Hatfield is a .45 cal. I used 0.440 balls, 0.015 patches and 60 gr of 3F Goex powder. I swabbed the bore to wipe out whatever residual protectant might be there before I started shooting.
Any ideas on what might be happening?
Thanks,
Ron

Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9511
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Converted Percussion Hatfield to Flint – issues   June 4th 2017, 7:31 pm

Sounds normal to be. When I shoot a flintlock I swab every shot. Then pour in the powder. After the powder is in I run a pick through the touch hole all the way into the powder. Sort of making a channel for the flame to go into. Then make sure the pan and frizzen is clean. Then prime the pan and shoot.

If I didn't do all that every time i'd get a slow fire or even flash in the pan.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Converted Percussion Hatfield to Flint – issues   June 4th 2017, 7:46 pm

Thanks, Pete! That must be a solution for the Hatfield.
I have another flintlock that I can shoot 7 or more balls out of and never have to clean or fuss with the  touch hole. That must be the exception.
Ron

Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9511
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Converted Percussion Hatfield to Flint – issues   June 4th 2017, 7:50 pm

You were lucky. I think most flintlock shooters pick it everytime.

It's a good habit even if it's not always needed. Especially, when hunting.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1276
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Converted Percussion Hatfield to Flint – issues   June 4th 2017, 7:50 pm

Ron? You have two Hatfields? Thought yours was .50 calibre...

I use 4F Goex with my .50 calibre Hatfield flintlock in the pan. 3F will work, but 4F gives me better performance. I had some issues. Once I switched the pan powder to 4F, a lot of things went smoother. Swiss Null B is good, too. I don't like using 3F in the pan. It causes me headaches. IDK if this will solve your problem.

I use 3F in the rifle mostly, but have been playing with 2F lately to see the difference. I am shooting better and more consistently with the Hatfield flintlock now and having fun with it.

Hope this helps. I never need to clear the hole even though I have the tools. 
I clean it out at the end of the day.

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Converted Percussion Hatfield to Flint – issues   June 4th 2017, 8:14 pm

That is my slip up. It is a .50 cal and I fed it .490 balls, not .440. I just have one Hatfield unless my 1816 Remington Commemorative was built by Hatfield (very possible).
Ron

Sharpsman

Male Number of posts : 449
Registration date : 2016-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Converted Percussion Hatfield to Flint – issues   June 5th 2017, 7:09 am

Stick a 'pipe cleaner swab' into the touch-hole prior to inserting the main charge!

Untitled by Sharps Man, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Converted Percussion Hatfield to Flint – issues   June 5th 2017, 7:19 am

That, of course, is a period correct pipe cleaner? Very Happy
I will try fitting a pipe cleaner in there. The flash hole is so small that I remove the flash hole liner before I use a pipe cleaner to scrub the breech area. Perhaps that small size hole is the root of the problem. It has been recommended that I drill out the hole to 1/16".
Ron

patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 4995
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Converted Percussion Hatfield to Flint – issues   June 5th 2017, 8:00 am

1/16" is what worked best for me. I bent a piece of brass wire into a loop at one end and attached it to my trigger guard with a cord. After shooting and swabbing (every shot), I insert the wire into the touch hole and leave it there until after I load the main charge and ball. I remove it and charge the pan with 4F. If I don't do that every time, I get a hang fire.

I have a .45, a .50 may be able to go twice or more between swabbings. Dunno

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Converted Percussion Hatfield to Flint – issues   June 5th 2017, 8:51 am

Bob,
1/16th is what I read, as well.
It looks like I can't be lazy about shooting flintlocks and must clean after every ball.
Ron

Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1589
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Converted Percussion Hatfield to Flint – issues   June 5th 2017, 9:58 am

When ever I try to sneak by without running a pick through the touch hole, it is hit or miss whether it will fire or not.  I don't swab the barrel every shot but I think it is a good idea.  I watched a YouTube video and this particular shooter ran an alcohol patch down the barrel after each shot.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”   Will Rogers

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14330
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Converted Percussion Hatfield to Flint – issues   June 5th 2017, 10:45 am

I use a tiny wire pick after I load up. Just push that through and get down to it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Converted Percussion Hatfield to Flint – issues   

Back to top Go down

Converted Percussion Hatfield to Flint – issues
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: