Muzzleloading Forum

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Kentucky Colonel's 1970 GRRW Half-Stock Hawken is finished....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Colonel's 1970 GRRW Half-Stock Hawken is finished....   June 14th 2017, 2:05 pm

XXX

Decided I did not ask before posting some one else's writing. I cut it. Sorry.

Last edited by Kentucky Colonel on June 14th 2017, 7:39 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9492
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Colonel's 1970 GRRW Half-Stock Hawken is finished....   June 14th 2017, 3:10 pm

If you need some boiled linseed oil. Here you go.

http://www.octobercountry.com/boiled-linseed-oil/

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Colonel's 1970 GRRW Half-Stock Hawken is finished....   June 15th 2017, 12:12 pm

The boys at The Armories gun shop helped me out with these pics. Here is Traveler...

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1141
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Colonel's 1970 GRRW Half-Stock Hawken is finished....   June 15th 2017, 12:58 pm

Thanks I'll add this to the rest of the pictures KC, good job.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Colonel's 1970 GRRW Half-Stock Hawken is finished....   June 15th 2017, 1:56 pm

@Bear Claw wrote:
If you need some boiled linseed oil. Here you go.

http://www.octobercountry.com/boiled-linseed-oil/

Pete, 
I went there. Was prepared to make a 40 dollar order including the 3.97 3 oz bottle of BLO (even though I have some. Wanted to compare) They wanted 14 dollars (or more or less- they won't commit) for shipping with no customer choices. I passed on the 25+% surcharge. There are a lot of options out there.

However, Pete, YOU are the one who alerted me to the kit that led to this rifle being made. You noted it as a deal worthy of our interest due to the story and the history on this forum about a year and a half ago which got my interest up. So, thank you. This was before I really understood Buck's connection. So, you are here-by named Traveler's God Father. Yes, you helped birth a baby .58 calibre. And, yes. A true mountain man's rifle now lives in the swamps of Florida... and, it is all your fault. Twisted Evil

Thank you, too, Buck. I'll tell Adam at the Armories that you approve. His photo eye is better than mine.

NMLRA

Last edited by Kentucky Colonel on June 15th 2017, 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Colonel's 1970 GRRW Half-Stock Hawken is finished....   June 15th 2017, 2:06 pm

Well, enjoy it. It's a fine rifle and has a good home now.

As for the shipping at October? They always put a flat rate of $14.00 on the first receipt they give you, but then adjust it when it's shipped. What had you ordered?

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Colonel's 1970 GRRW Half-Stock Hawken is finished....   June 15th 2017, 2:28 pm

@Bear Claw wrote:
Well, enjoy it. It's a fine rifle and has a good home now.

As for the shipping at October? They always put a flat rate of $14.00 on the first receipt they give you, but then adjust it when it's shipped. What had you ordered?

IDK... nick-knacks... trying to support a business that supports our hobby. Today, I paid double for a box of .58 cal round balls at a brick and mortar store that I value that is local for the same reason.

I let go nothing from the October order that I will miss or can't find elsewhere.  I know I picked up a 570 round ball order up from an unknown manufacturer to try from October. (shrug) I like Hornady, anyway.

And, thanks. You can shoot Traveler if you visit. Or, if I visit Colorado. I do have kin in Yuma. I am looking harder at elk and such these days. I seem to have acquired a cannon. Cool  

It IS longer than my Traditions Ky. long rifle and much more beefy than any Hawken I have ever seen. The dang thing would not fit in a normal Plano rifle case. (I wanted to baby it, it did not want to be babied) It went to the Armories in a canvas cover because nothing else would fit the brute!

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Colonel's 1970 GRRW Half-Stock Hawken is finished....   June 15th 2017, 3:14 pm

The cast round balls October sells are really nice. It's all I used. 

I said used and it is. Sadly I can't shoot heavy barrels anymore because of my bum back. I've had to permanently go to an inline for my hunting from now on. It kills me but it's better than not hunting. Anything is better than that.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Colonel's 1970 GRRW Half-Stock Hawken is finished....   June 18th 2017, 10:12 am

KC, I submitted a short article to the "Green River Gazette" about "Traveler" from its birth to growing into a full man's gun. I also sent the article to old friend Charlie Richie - "Backwoodsman" senior editor and owner of this magazine. 

It usually takes a few months to see anything submitted. Use to write for Charlie for a dozen years in the early days of this magazine when he was still located in Colorado.

Back to top Go down
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Colonel's 1970 GRRW Half-Stock Hawken is finished....   June 18th 2017, 1:51 pm

Buck, that is wonderful! I can't wait!

I was at the range with Traveler for the first time, today. It was 96 degrees.

Capping for First Shot

Leaning Into the First Shot

The Boom

The Smile

The Result

The Next Three

I used 150 grains of 3F Goex at 25 yards. I giggled and laughed after every shot. One of the fella's, Homer, said, "You don't have to load 150 grains to shoot it, but you're going to. You scamp!" He giggled and laughed every time it went off, too. 

It is a joy to shoot. In action, and in the open, the rifle does not feel as heavy as it is. I had no trouble aiming it and holding a bead. As Carl Walker predicted, the rifle shoots low. I will file a little off the front sight, but not today. Today was just about enjoyment of a special rifle. Besides, I think those last three are grouping quite nicely. 
cheers

NMLRA

Last edited by Kentucky Colonel on June 18th 2017, 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Colonel's 1970 GRRW Half-Stock Hawken is finished....   June 18th 2017, 1:55 pm

Excellent. I also would also say you don't need 150gr, but it's hard to argue with your results.

Now, see how she does at 100yds.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Colonel's 1970 GRRW Half-Stock Hawken is finished....   June 18th 2017, 6:03 pm

Like Pete and others have said "you don't need to proof test the rifle every shot". Shoot 100-110 grains for hunting and 75-80 grains for range work (save powder and it's more comfortable to shoot).

Who made your neck knife and sheath, good looking.

Back to top Go down
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Colonel's 1970 GRRW Half-Stock Hawken is finished....   June 18th 2017, 8:10 pm

I was going to say something about the patch knife. What a perfect little size. Most of the ones I see are too big.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Colonel's 1970 GRRW Half-Stock Hawken is finished....   June 18th 2017, 8:13 pm

(Grins)

I will calm it down with the powder. I just wanted to experience the power potential. 
And, I really did for a half a dozen shots. 

Hershel House made the knife and his wife made the sheathe.

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Colonel's 1970 GRRW Half-Stock Hawken is finished....   June 18th 2017, 8:14 pm

@Bear Claw wrote:
I was going to say something about the patch knife. What a perfect little size. Most of the ones I see are too big.

Amen

Back to top Go down
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Colonel's 1970 GRRW Half-Stock Hawken is finished....   June 18th 2017, 8:22 pm

It's hard for me to look at that gun. It's the Hawken I always wanted. Just perfect!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Colonel's 1970 GRRW Half-Stock Hawken is finished....   June 18th 2017, 8:32 pm

@Bear Claw wrote:
It's hard for me to look at that gun. It's the Hawken I always wanted. Just perfect!

I hear you, have a good friend that has a GRRW half-stock Hawken serial number #H04. Used but in excellent condition (little wear from carrying), .58 caliber that use to shoot 4 X's out of a 5 shot group, now at 82 he's a little worn but still tries his best.

Back to top Go down
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Colonel's 1970 GRRW Half-Stock Hawken is finished....   June 18th 2017, 8:33 pm

Good for him.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Colonel's 1970 GRRW Half-Stock Hawken is finished....   June 21st 2017, 7:22 am

I saw a program last night talking about what folks do when getting close to the century mark. A couple of gentlemen in their early 90's were still out and about in the mountains hiking, taking pictures and having close encounters with wild life. Wouldn't that be great to have those experiences before you can anymore.

Back to top Go down
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Colonel's 1970 GRRW Half-Stock Hawken is finished....   June 21st 2017, 7:34 am

It's hard now. I can't imagine doing it in 25 years. If I start at 8am I might travel 100ft and then have to head back to the Jeep before it gets dark.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Colonel's 1970 GRRW Half-Stock Hawken is finished....   June 21st 2017, 7:51 am

Do you know the twist on GRRW rifles in general and Traveler in specific?

In part, you guys here got me thinking about health matters and age in a way I have not done seriously before. (That and a few of my friends my age have begun running in marathons, Iron Man, and Spartan events. It made me realize that I was way too sedentary for my age and I could/should be doing more.)

I have been cycling real road miles and doing other exercise related activities every day since April. 
I can really feel a change. I breathe better. I move better. It was/is not easy. But, I want to be using Traveler for a very long time. I know too much and worked to hard to get here to just let it rot on a sofa. scratch

Oddly, I have not lost a pound. But, I have shifted my shape (still fat!) and my clothes are more comfortable. 

The point is, I can do more than I had convinced myself that I could do. You can, too.

NMLRA

Last edited by Kentucky Colonel on June 21st 2017, 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Colonel's 1970 GRRW Half-Stock Hawken is finished....   June 21st 2017, 8:19 am

I get out and hike hard every day of the year. Even in a blizzard. It keeps my heart rate down and my weight steady. I'm only 170lbs at 6', so no weight problems. I think hiking is better than a bike. The bike does too much of the work.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Colonel's 1970 GRRW Half-Stock Hawken is finished....   June 21st 2017, 11:14 am

@Kentucky Colonel wrote:
Do you know the twist on GRRW rifles in general and Traveler in specific?

Talked to Ron Paull, what I was thinking was correct, just wanted to double check. The rate of twist was 1-66 according to Ron and several old GRRW ads.  cheers

Back to top Go down
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Colonel's 1970 GRRW Half-Stock Hawken is finished....   June 21st 2017, 3:57 pm

I thought that as well, but needed confirmation. Thanks!

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Colonel's 1970 GRRW Half-Stock Hawken is finished....   June 21st 2017, 7:09 pm

Here you go Pete

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Colonel's 1970 GRRW Half-Stock Hawken is finished....   

Back to top Go down

Kentucky Colonel's 1970 GRRW Half-Stock Hawken is finished....
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading :: Gun Builders Corner-
Jump to: