HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

I drew a Colorado Elk tag. Need help. no sabots or pellets allowed in CO

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rifleman1st

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2017-06-07

PostSubject: I drew a Colorado Elk tag. Need help. no sabots or pellets allowed in CO   June 7th 2017, 12:51 pm

New here but I've been muzzle loading for many years. I shoot a 209X50 Encore but I've always used saboted bullets and pellets.

Any recommendations? I'm not set up for casting my own.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9425
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: I drew a Colorado Elk tag. Need help. no sabots or pellets allowed in CO   June 7th 2017, 1:02 pm

For elk you can't beat the Thor bullet. It's a full bore conical made by Barnes for Thor.

https://www.thorbullets.com/

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
strong eagle

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2016-10-11

PostSubject: Re: I drew a Colorado Elk tag. Need help. no sabots or pellets allowed in CO   June 9th 2017, 3:26 pm

have you ever considered a paperpatched pure lead bullet? very very accurate, easy to load and hits game really hard. strong eagle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Admin

Male Number of posts : 14260
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: I drew a Colorado Elk tag. Need help. no sabots or pellets allowed in CO   June 9th 2017, 4:02 pm

This is a TC so its going to be a picky SOB about bullets.

250-300gr Thor or the 350gr FPB with 90-110gr Blackhorn209 and Winchester W209 primer will do the trick.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
strong eagle

PostSubject: Re: I drew a Colorado Elk tag. Need help. no sabots or pellets allowed in CO   June 10th 2017, 5:50 am

sounds like your the expert around here and as you answered for him and you took over i will back off.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I drew a Colorado Elk tag. Need help. no sabots or pellets allowed in CO   June 10th 2017, 10:50 am

not at all. TC's have years of issues with their QLA and the bullets mentioned above are the most likely to shoot. TC's generally hate flat based conicals and need the hollow base in order to shoot accurate. Even the loads I gave, may not shoot simply due to the barrel. They are a real coin toss when it comes to conicals and accuracy.
Back to top Go down
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1247
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: I drew a Colorado Elk tag. Need help. no sabots or pellets allowed in CO   June 10th 2017, 1:13 pm

Been there done that with an Encore. 

Years ago i tried the 320 and 370 grain Maxi Balls, the TC Maxi Hunters, the Great Plains bullet and some heavy custom bullets Muley sent me.  All i got for my trouble was a badly leaded bore.   Finally settled on the 350 grain FPB although the accuracy is not that good:   2.5" groups at 100 yards is the norm for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
strong eagle

PostSubject: Re: I drew a Colorado Elk tag. Need help. no sabots or pellets allowed in CO   June 10th 2017, 3:46 pm

im pretty new here but i have a thompson encore if that what you call it. i got if from a shooter who made it to shoot paperpatched bullets. the muzzle was cut back so the relief for sabots was taken out of it. it was recrowned and i read that article on ram shot.com on there blog section by some guy who taught me how to paperpatch bullets for that gun. the guy who had the gun said read this article and you will do fine. he was right, i get minute of angle groups out to 300 yards. so far. a 450 grain mold came with the gun as a reducing die to .492. he gave me a roll  of freezer wrap paper with the gun and a sack of wads to use between the bullet and powder. it works very well. i use real black powder about 100 grains and now that im retired from the railroad i want to get a deer and elk with this gun. i also have a side lock 45 cal round ball gun i bought from another shooter that shoots round balls for fun. to small to hunt big game with but now that im retired i want to hant and shoot these things alot. i live by casper wyoming and there is a lot to hunt here. just wanted to share what i learned with my guns. i found that paperpatching was easy, i just followed the instructions of the article and the gun was already set up for it. this whole thing is more fun than any guns ive ever owned before. just wanted to pass the info along and not cause any trouble. there is a guy called idaho ron on another site. he does this sort of thing also. has some you tube vids. on it, learned a lot from him and the article on ramshot.co,. if anyone wants to learn what i learned, go to ramshot.com and go to their blog spot and read that article on paperpatching the inline muzzleloader, it worked for me and im a happy shooter. strong eagle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tony

Male Number of posts : 571
Registration date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Re: I drew a Colorado Elk tag. Need help. no sabots or pellets allowed in CO   June 12th 2017, 11:57 am

My Encore loved the 250 grain thors.  Groups stayed between an inch and an inch and a half at 100 yards.  My encore didn't like the FPB's or the Powerbelt bullets. I was thoroughly impressed with accuracy of the Thors.  I had heard their on game performance was fantastic, but I didn't think that they would be comparably accurate to the Barnes 250 with sabot.  I wouldn't hesitate to take them on an elk hunt.

Harvester Smooth Sabot
100 gr. BH209-Win 209 Primer

Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40 CDS
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rifleman1st

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2017-06-07

PostSubject: Re: I drew a Colorado Elk tag. Need help. no sabots or pellets allowed in CO   June 12th 2017, 12:16 pm

Thanks for the info! What is the FPB bullet?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9425
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: I drew a Colorado Elk tag. Need help. no sabots or pellets allowed in CO   June 12th 2017, 1:55 pm

It's a Hornady bullet. Copper coated lead. They work ok, but hard to get down the bore. They're .508.

The Thor is a much better bullet and you can get them in a size to fit your bore. I'll take all copper over lead any day.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: I drew a Colorado Elk tag. Need help. no sabots or pellets allowed in CO   June 13th 2017, 9:08 pm

Strong eagle has it down!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I drew a Colorado Elk tag. Need help. no sabots or pellets allowed in CO   June 13th 2017, 9:19 pm

That's not all i said, is there a reason my post changed?
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I drew a Colorado Elk tag. Need help. no sabots or pellets allowed in CO   June 13th 2017, 9:51 pm

Yes, I pmed you.
Back to top Go down
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 626
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: I drew a Colorado Elk tag. Need help. no sabots or pellets allowed in CO   June 18th 2017, 10:32 am

@Bear Claw wrote:
The Thor is a much better bullet and you can get them in a size to fit your bore. I'll take all copper over lead any day.

Take Bear Claw's advise, after retiring went to work for Cabelas, started in the hunting department of the store before being moved to the Gun Library.

In the "hunting department" we would hear all kinds of poor and good information from the customers on what their gun liked or disliked. It was surprising that some were still with us with their poor ideas tried and failed badly (some with serious injuries).

The Thor bullets were always thought very highly over other well known brands for being easy to load to how acturate they performed. Take Pete's advise.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I drew a Colorado Elk tag. Need help. no sabots or pellets allowed in CO   

Back to top Go down

I drew a Colorado Elk tag. Need help. no sabots or pellets allowed in CO
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: