View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1376
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Black Drum in Mosquito Lagoon   June 10th 2017, 6:58 pm

I have been having a stellar week. First, my GRRWCA rifle comes in. Then, today, I was on the water in Mosquito Lagoon with one of my oldest friends catching Black Drum. Yes, this has been a good few days!

We were most successful within sight of NASA. Here is my first fish of the day. (I seem to be in rapturous thanks for my catch.) 

Jim and I hooked and landed these two within seconds of each other. Scott Tripp is taking the picture and it was his skiff. He can spot 'em. We launched out of Captain JB's Fish Camp in New Smyrna, Florida. 

We got on the fish fast in the front half of the day. Then the weather blew in and the front soaked us with rain for about an hour and a half (hard-no lighting). Dolphin and manatee were everywhere. We caught 5 big black drum (released the 5th as we had enough meat), a nice speckled salt water trout, two salt water catfish (discarded), and one sting ray (released).

A good day.

PS. Sharpy, I thought about your friend and picture/post of Robert W. 'Wes' Taylor.

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Black Drum in Mosquito Lagoon   June 11th 2017, 7:33 pm

Double Post Alert:

This is day TWO

Beautiful, hot, sunny day back in Mosquito Lagoon today. Poor fishing in the early morning gave way to a 4th Quarter rally. 

We were aiming for Speckled Sea Trout. We caught 2 catfish (released) and many small trout too small to keep. We saw no drum or red fish at all. It looked like we might get skunked. Then, BANG. We got action. 

No trout smaller than 15 inches here

We took our limit. Here Jim and I are on the dock at the end of the day. He did not know I was photo-bombing him. We turned the trout into very good fish tacos. I now have several pounds of frozen drum and trout in the freezer for later. Very good tasting fish. Very good times. 

NMLRA

Last edited by Kentucky Colonel on June 16th 2017, 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3251
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Black Drum in Mosquito Lagoon   June 16th 2017, 7:13 am

Wow...that was quite the two-day marathon in my book Exclamation   
I can't believe how many different game species you caught  What a Face
Nice work guys.   :rtup  

I'm always interested in knowing the caliber of the fishing gear used (i.e., rod, reel and line.)... especially for the trout and drum??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Black Drum in Mosquito Lagoon   June 16th 2017, 10:31 pm

@Marty wrote:
Wow...that was quite the two-day marathon in my book Exclamation   
I can't believe how many different game species you caught  What a Face
Nice work guys.   :rtup  

I'm always interested in knowing the caliber of the fishing gear used (i.e., rod, reel and line.)... especially for the trout and drum??

Jim actually also hooked a ladyfish and small pin fish harassed our baits. He used 3 spinning reels. Two were Shimano Stradics (1000 and 2000 series) and the baitcaster was a Shimano Tranx 300. The rods he used were a mix of Basspro, Browning, and St Croix

Jim actively tries to use the lightest rig possible as he enjoys the challenge. (I just want dinner.)

Although he used all three set ups, all his fish were caught with the small Stradic. 

I used a Shimano Nasci reel with a Shimano Teramar Inshore Series rod both days. I like this set up a lot. 
Scott used the same rig so, all fish were caught on two set ups. All our lines were braided.

On day one, we fished with live bait. We used large live shrimp and the rig was light enough that I could feel the 'pop' 
of the shrimp when they struggled. We chased tail a lot. (For those who don't know, a keen eyed fisherman can see feeding fish in shallow water when they feed with their tails out of the water. I tend to depend on the others for this)

On day two, we started out working the top water with Rapala top water lures similar to Zara spooks in a mullet pattern. 
Believe it or not, I caught TWO catfish working the top of the water. That was about all any of us caught early on. 

After trying several spots with little results, we shifted to working the bottom. As we were on the flats, this was still not very deep water. A simple weighted hook paired with a green Shad Tail gel was the bait. Jim changed colors, I did not. I'm not sure about Scott.

We had to replace several Shad Tails due to big bites taken out of them. It could have been blowfish, but it is hard to tell. Our luck began to change with numerous small trout hitting our hooks. Later on, they got bigger. These fish made us work for our dinners.

Hope this gave you what you were interested in. This is the boat. Yes, the dog was with us, too. He did not catch anything, but he did steal shrimp from the live bait well.

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3251
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Black Drum in Mosquito Lagoon   June 18th 2017, 7:25 am

Thanks and great setup guys!  I wish I could put fish in my freezer like that on a regular basis.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Black Drum in Mosquito Lagoon   

Back to top Go down

Black Drum in Mosquito Lagoon
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Fishing Forum :: Fishing-
Jump to: