Share | 

Sidelock supplies needed

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CoHiCntry

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2013-10-01

PostSubject: Sidelock supplies needed   June 29th 2017, 3:35 pm

I've owned and hunted with mostly inlines up to this point.  I've had a few sidelocks over the years but they pretty much lived in the safe.  I inherited a T/C Renegade in .54 cal from my grandpa when he passed away a couple years ago. I want to use it this fall on a cow moose hunt here in Colorado.  I need a few things and wanted some opinions.

First, I was gonna get a capper but see several different shapes and designs.  What would be the best #11 capper for a sidelock for hunting... A straight/inline, snail, or torpedo shaped?  Is this more personal preference or does the shape and design matter?

Also need a nipple wrench and nipple pick.  Are these all created equal so to speak?  I saw one that was the nipple wrench and had a screw in pick.  So it was both tools in one.

I'm planning to start with some T7 powder and Great Plains lead conicals.  Mostly because that's what I've got on hand.  I'll see how that load shoots and go from there.  Thanks for any replies...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1280
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Sidelock supplies needed   July 1st 2017, 2:45 pm

Quote :
What would be the best #11 capper for a sidelock for hunting...

This is the capper i use; it works well for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Traditions-Performance-Firearms-Muzzleloader-Capper/dp/B000GU4V54/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1498942067&sr=8-2&keywords=11+capper

Quote :
Also need a nipple wrench and nipple pick.  Are these all created equal so to speak?

Pretty much.   This wrench  also has a fork to remove the wedge pin.

https://www.ebay.com/p/thompson-center-accessories-31007062-wedge-pin-puller-w-built-in-nipple-wrench/1100122941
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoHiCntry

PostSubject: Re: Sidelock supplies needed   July 1st 2017, 5:12 pm

Thank you for the reply.  I'll look into those.  Gonna hit basspro tomorrow (got a gift card I need to use) and hopefully pick up a few things I need.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Landngroove

Male Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2013-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Sidelock supplies needed   July 6th 2017, 4:24 pm

@CoHiCntry wrote:

I'm planning to start with some T7 powder and Great Plains lead conicals.  Mostly because that's what I've got on hand.  I'll see how that load shoots and go from there.  Thanks for any replies...
You may be disappointed with #11 caps with T7, or any other synthetic powder. It will have a delayed (hangfire) ignition. If you want to use synthetic powders, try musket caps. You will have to change your nipple also to a musket cap nipple. T/C uses a 1/4 X28 nipple in your Renegade. Very easy swap.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoHiCntry

PostSubject: Re: Sidelock supplies needed   July 6th 2017, 5:18 pm

@Landngroove wrote:
@CoHiCntry wrote:

You may be disappointed with #11 caps with T7, or any other synthetic powder. It will have a delayed (hangfire) ignition. If you want to use synthetic powders, try musket caps. You will have to change your nipple also to a musket cap nipple. T/C uses a 1/4 X28 nipple in your Renegade. Very easy swap.

Thanks for the heads up on using T7 with a #11.  I figured on using T7 only because I have some on hand.  I'll take it out and see how it shoots and go from there.  I'm not opposed to using a different powder.  I appreciate your input.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1132
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Sidelock supplies needed   July 6th 2017, 5:40 pm

The easiest place to get all your needs is go to one of the major supply house, I use Track of the Wolf. There are a number of good sources out there.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
CoHiCntry

PostSubject: Re: Sidelock supplies needed   July 6th 2017, 8:05 pm

@conner wrote:
The easiest place to get all your needs is go to one of the major supply house, I use Track of the Wolf. There are a number of good sources out there.

I ended up ordering the few things I needed from Midway. BassPro had very little and higher priced. Need to go shoot now!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ceader savage

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2009-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Sidelock supplies needed   July 10th 2017, 8:00 am

Here is your best thing to buy .A Mag Shot Its takes a 209 primmer Always a bang
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jeager106

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2017-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Sidelock supplies needed   July 30th 2017, 11:59 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sidelock supplies needed   

Back to top Go down

Sidelock supplies needed