Share | 

Inline problem

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
1Longbow

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-04-04

PostSubject: Inline problem   August 10th 2017, 3:28 pm

First ,I don't shoot and inline. My buddy son bought a new CVA inline and has a problem that I can't answer,and I'm hoping you can help. His first shot is always 4 inches to the left of the bullseye. He cleans his gun,but uses no oil in the barrel afterwards.Before shooting he runs a dry patch down the barrel,snaps a cap,followed by another dry patch. He uses BH power,and I'm not sure of the bullet. Any suggestions why this happens only on the first shot? Cold barrel? How to correct? 
Thank you for any answers:?:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BrownBear

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Inline problem   August 10th 2017, 4:38 pm

Once upon a time I picked up a White 54 cal inline just to see what all the fuss was about.  Inlines turned out not to be right for my interests, but I learned a lot from it in the couple of years I had it before giving it away to a friend.  He still owns and shoots it and finds the same thing.

Mine was doing exactly that on the first shot. But over the course of a lot of experimenting I learned a solution. Mine shot much tighter and bore fouling was reduced if I stuck a lubed felt wad or bore button down the bore between powder (any type) and sabot or bare conical. Doing that I also learned that it quit tossing that first shot. All of them would land in the same place every time. 

I'm guessing wildly here, but I always figured that shoving that lubed felt wad somehow created bore conditions that somehow worked like fouling did without it.  Call it "fouling" the bore before shooting, but it sure worked.

Give it a try in his gun. Hopefully it will solve the problem and might even result in tighter groups even without the flyer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14398
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Inline problem   August 10th 2017, 6:03 pm

Some rifles are like that and need a fouling shot in order to hit center. If its consistently 4" to the left, he should be able to remember that while in the field, or hunt with a fouled bore.

What I normally do when I run into this problem... I load up, take a shot or 2 on the range and when I get home, I run a few DRY patches down the bore to remove most of the BH209 fouling. That's how I go hunting and she shoots center.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1122
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Inline problem   August 13th 2017, 6:52 pm

@BrownBear wrote:
Once upon a time I picked up a White 54 cal inline just to see what all the fuss was about.  Inlines turned out not to be right for my interests.....

Doc is always showing me the newest model he's working on, like you have no interest at all. I would get put to the fire in Colorado if I touched one after fighting to keep the muzzleloading season as originally started as a "primitive rifle season only" period, for over 25 years. afro

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
BrownBear

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Inline problem   August 13th 2017, 8:34 pm

@conner wrote:
...fighting to keep the muzzleloading season as originally started as a "primitive rifle season only" period, for over 25 years.
 If you had a hand in that, my hat's off to you.  For me "primitive" doesn't include modern scopes and such.  No sense all for me to go out with a 100 yard arm or a 50 yard arm when everyone around me is shooting 150-200 or more.  Kept the scopes off ML's here in Alaska for the same reason. Guys are welcome to use the inlines, but only with open sights.  Suits me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Inline problem   August 13th 2017, 9:20 pm

@BrownBear wrote:
@conner wrote:
...fighting to keep the muzzleloading season as originally started as a "primitive rifle season only" period, for over 25 years.
 If you had a hand in that, my hat's off to you. 

I was involved for 12 years as some sort of an officer with Colorado, on the Board at NRA Whittington Center in Raton and spent many years with the Western States Muzzle Loading Association as an officer. Between fighting the bow hunters, regular rifle and then in-lines it was and is always a fight for permit numbers that others tried to steal from us.

Back to top Go down
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1644
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Inline problem   August 14th 2017, 6:57 am

Hi 1Longbow, you mentioned that your friend's son cleans his rifle but doesn't use any oil in the barrel.  I use BH209, after the range session is over I always clean my rifles and run a patch with "oil" in the barrel.  I then run a patch with Frontiers Anti-Rust & Patch Lube.  The next time I take the rifle to the range I run a dry patch down the barrel and shoot off two primers. The barrel will have a little residue of Lube, it will not be a completely dry barrel.  This might not be what others do but it's what works for me.

So you want to be a gun maker....do you like filing?  >:^)

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Inline problem   August 14th 2017, 7:18 am

ditto

Back to top Go down
jeager106

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2017-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Inline problem   Today at 5:48 am

f.w.i.w

I have an inline or two but prefer trad black powder firearms.

I always wondered how shooters protected the bore back in the day when there
was only black powder arms so I researched it.

Our Civil War as an example.

A tampion (sp?) was a simple device that was inserted into the bore at the muzzle
to keep moisture out of the bore.
It worked fine.

NOT a Tampon! Though one wonders if a Tampon would work.
But I digress.

Being a doubter I tried this in Ohio August hot and humid weather.

I simply swabbed the bore with a dry patch to get some fouling out and plugged
the bore with a rubber stopper that fit snugly.

This after firing some 10 rounds to get the thing really fouled.

After one month there was zero corrosion.

All that being said I don't shoot my black powder weapons without a good cleaning
before putting them away.

No sense being silly about it and ruining a good rifle.

It was a T.C. .50 caliber I used for testing. No great loss if I ruined that
factory barrel as I replaced my T.C. factory barrels with Green Mountain
barrels anyway.

Re: rubber stopper. Since I got the stoppers years ago I forgot
where I got them but believe I found them online.
If I recall right I got about a dozen of various sizes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Inline problem   

Back to top Go down

Inline problem
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: