HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Custom Flinter or Percussion 20 gauge

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Daman

Male Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2010-10-21

PostSubject: Custom Flinter or Percussion 20 gauge   February 25th 2011, 2:40 pm

Guys

I got the smoke really boiling out of my ears this morning.

I have really enjoyed shooting my Optima and thought hey a BP shotgun would be nice. At first I was thinking 10 gauge double barrel or 12 gauge double barrel, but really what I think I would be proud of and use a lot is a 32 - 36" barreled 0.62 tapered to .580 constriction half octagon half round barrel. Curly maple stock that runs 1/3 to 1/2 the length of the barrel and has a carbine style crescent shaped butt. Oh and I think I would like a Colerain barrel.

I think a percussion would be nice but haven't ruled out a flinter either. It will be used for some squirrel and mostly turkeys on beautiful dry mornings.

What do you guys think? What would something like that cost?
Something like this:

Daman

Tasco World Class 3-9X40 Mil-Dot
90 Grains Pyrodex Pellets
250 Grain TC Shockwave
W209 Primer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Butcher

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2011-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Custom Flinter or Percussion 20 gauge   February 25th 2011, 3:33 pm

Check Track of the wolf http://www.trackofthewolf.com/index.aspx?as=1
Or Jim Chambers http://www.flintlocks.com/ You can basically get good parts, that are in kit form, and upgrades, and make what you like. After I sell my T/C percussion, I'm going to go this route. Hope this helps. If nothing else, check prices. Don
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sitsintrees

Male Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2010-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Custom Flinter or Percussion 20 gauge   February 25th 2011, 3:34 pm

I have no clue what something like that goes for but it sure made me drool readin bout it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Daman

PostSubject: Re: Custom Flinter or Percussion 20 gauge   February 25th 2011, 3:39 pm

Thanks for the sites. I will check them out.

I figure somewhere in $1k ball park to get it with really nice figured curly maple. A kit would be really nice if I could get the options I want, but I ain't ever really dug to deep into kits before so I gotta start looking.

I mostly want it to hang over the mantle and wipe down in front of company lol! , but it will be used and probably over time acquire some character marks. And that gives me pause about going all custom --- am I going to be willing to actually hunt with it? I say I will, but I have definitely seen some maple stocks that would never ever go in the woods with me!

Daman

250 Grain TC Shockwave
W209 Primer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9492
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Custom Flinter or Percussion 20 gauge   February 25th 2011, 6:10 pm

For 1K you can get a nice kit with top end parts and wood. It will be a ton of work, but if you go slow you can make a gun you'll be proud of. Much better than just buying one built. Plus it's 1/3 the price if you build it.

Good luck.

Join this forum, and they will gladly help you with the build.

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/fusionbb.php

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wallygater

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Custom Flinter or Percussion 20 gauge   February 26th 2011, 4:54 am

Check this one out......................http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/pp-classifieds/showproduct.php/product/5946/cat/9
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3237
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Custom Flinter or Percussion 20 gauge   February 26th 2011, 10:38 am

Daman,

If you are considering a kit. you should see if you can work out some kind of deal with our own FG to finish it for you.

FG's restoration and finishing is second to none..and he will get it custom finished to your liking, and best of all, it will come out right the first time Exclamation

I've been considering a kit of some sort myself, but have not yet decided on what I would like. I would definitely hire FG to do the finishing work for me and have him put his "john-doe" in it somewhere. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Daman

PostSubject: Re: Custom Flinter or Percussion 20 gauge   February 27th 2011, 7:30 pm

That is probably what I will end up doing. Buy a kit with the curly maple wood I want and pay somebody to get it right.

Daman

250 Grain TC Shockwave
W209 Primer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Admin

Male Number of posts : 14277
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Custom Flinter or Percussion 20 gauge   February 27th 2011, 7:35 pm

hey hey, make sure to let me know first what the plans are LOL. I dont have all the skills at putting a kit together, the big time kits that is that require a lot of inletting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Daman

PostSubject: Re: Custom Flinter or Percussion 20 gauge   February 28th 2011, 7:02 am

FG,

I wouldn't just drop a bomb on you. Besides I have my turkey guns lined out for this season anyway, so I won't even get serious about buying one til next year. I would like to get with you about it once I get serious and get the wife on board to buy a kit or a built gun.

I may try to buy one already built, but some looking around has showed prices measured in vehicle prices not gun prices!

I plan to get very serious about buying one by next May --- I graduate from college finally and think that would be a good grad present to me!

Daman

250 Grain TC Shockwave
W209 Primer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Custom Flinter or Percussion 20 gauge   

Back to top Go down

Custom Flinter or Percussion 20 gauge
View previous topic View next topic Back to top