Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

MAGELLAN eXplorist Series 610 GPS Device REVIEW

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3027
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: MAGELLAN eXplorist Series 610 GPS Device REVIEW   Sun 17 Apr - 13:03

A hand-held GPS device is my most important tool when it comes to planning my hunting trips and following through with my strategies for the upcoming deer season. I’ve found a multi-function GPS unit great for mapping deer signs, hiking trails, bush-whacking, tracking/recovery efforts, or whatever point or track in the field is worthy of saving for future reference. A GPS tells me where I am physically located on a map at any given time, and the distance to any particular Waypoint in the field I choose to identify. With today’s advances in technology, GPS devices have more accurate receivers

with improved or added features to accommodate the needs of the user. If you are looking for a new hand-held GPS unit that does-it-all, or want to upgrade from what you now have, check-out Magellan’s newest generation of outdoor GPS devices… the Magellan eXplorist Series. The eXplorist Series comes in 6 models for 2011…the eXplorist 710; 610(United States); 610 (Canada -NEW); 510; 310 (NEW) ; and the GC (GeoCaching). My Review here will be on the eXplorist 610 (United States).

The MAGELLAN eXplorist 610 model comes equipped with many quality features and pre-loaded maps that will go to task for me right out of the box. From a purely hunting perspective, some of the key features I found particularly attractive on this model include: waterproof construction ( IPX-7 Standard ); a high sensitivity GPS receiver; pre-installed 1:24,000 scale topographic mapping; a 3-Axis Electronic Compass; a 3.2 mega-pixel auto-focus Camera; a large 3.0-inch OneTouch colored screen; and two customizable Hard Buttons for quick access to user-preferred functions or tools (i.e.,

As with any new electronic device I put in my hands I’m always too anxious to read the instructions, so I usually go right to pushing buttons and scanning menus. How the main menu is laid-out and the ease in which to navigate through the sub-menus and back tells me how well the GPS is organized. Since most GPS units have a multitude of generic features and functions, the ability to simplify and customize the screens and settings in an efficient, user-friendly manner is something I look for. The learning-curve on how-to-operate a GPS is really no different from that which you would expect when toying around with a new cell phone. You basically search for the features/functions you use most often and forget about all the others. As far as ease-of-use goes, without ever reading the User Guide/Manual it took me only a day of playing around with the 610 to get very comfortable bouncing around from menu to menu. The 610 is packed with every feature I would ever need for hunting, and every feature I would ever want… and then some. To give you an idea of how versatile the 610 can be, it’s set-up for typical user “Profiles” in categories such as HIKING, GEOCACHING, MARINE, VEHICLE, PEDESTRIAN and BIKE. For this Review I will focus on a few of the main features and functions I’ve personally found useful as a hunter and hiker… keeping in mind that no attempt is made here to possibly cover all the settings offered on this device.

When the device is first powered-up, it defaults to a zoom-able (+, -) Map Screen with an arrow

pointing to your present location on a topo with a roadway atlas overlay. (NOTE: The Magellan 610 comes pre-installed with their World Edition Map and Summit Series Map. Summit Series topographic maps are based on a 1:24,000 scale source date which contain high resolution digital terrain information and contour lines depicting approximate elevations above sea level.) The touch screens contain scroll-able menus which make it easy to bookmark and find features, and the colored screen

has sharp imaging and readable text size (great for us senior citizens). There are two User-Defined Buttons

on the left side of the GPS which can be customized to perform a variety of functions. The device has a Night Mode setting that activates an alternative display

when viewing in the dark. The user has the option to display color-coded Navigation Lines

(Note: The above picture was taken taken using the 610's built-in camera)

showing you where you’ve meandered and which direction you need to go to your destination.

From the start-up Map Screen you are only a ‘nail tap away in launching their “4-Corner”

Menu Screen. From the 4-Corner Screen you are able to tap your way to other submenus for customizing screens and selecting features/functions. The 4-corner top left button defaults to a “Dashboard”

which displays a compass and up to eight (of 38) viewing fields of your choice. The 4-corner top right button, the “OneTouch Menu”

allows you to create a personalized menu with 12 customizable icons. The 4-corner lower left button displays the Main Menu

, and the 4-corner lower right button is an Options Menu

which provides quick access to the most commonly used functions associated with each screen. The menu schematics of the Magellan 610 have been thoughtfully coordinated with one another making browsing through the GPS a logical task with minimal steps. I like the split-keyboard display

for entering text and numeric data since the key pads are large enough to press even with gloves on.

For those of you that are weather trackers or find yourself climbing more vertical terrain than hiking horizontal, the Magellan 610 has a barometer pressure sensor with Barometric Screen display

, as well as an altimeter sensor with an Altimeter Screen display.

Since the 610 features a 3-Axis electronic compass, there’s no need to be concerned about holding the compass face horizontal in order to get the most accurate reading. (i.e., you will still get an accurate reading if the compass is tilted towards you.) Besides your standard 2D

map viewing, the 610 gives you the option to select 3D

viewing angles from different directions. The 3D can be helpful with viewing your hunting area’s juxtaposition to roads and other major land-use designations. If you like to plot your Waypoints on a Google Earth aerial

, simply connect the supplied USB from your Magellan eXplorist to your computer and you are ready to view and print-out your Magellan GPS field reconnaissance work .

We all know that pictures are worth 1,000 words. For the ultimate in outdoor experience the Magellan 610 is equipped with media hardware to document and share your adventure or re-cap your hunting trip. The 610 includes a recessed

, auto-focus, 3.2 mega-pixel camera…as well as video and voice recording capabilities. Having a built-in camera is a really nice feature to have… especially when it comes to scouting. You can mark a Waypoint in the field, take a picture, then attach (i.e., save) the photo to that track location to later refresh your memory. I should mention here that storage

of media data should not be a problem as the 610 has an easily accessible, expandable MicroSD Card memory slot located under the battery compartment.

Here are a few 2011 pictures I took while scouting on a partly-cloudy day in April using the Magellan 610 camera:

To sum it all up, I found the Magellan eXplorist 610 very consistent and reliable in operation (i.e., no freeze-ups or lost signals ); able to quickly acquire a signal and position; and designed for the serious as well as the casual outdoors enthusiast.

The Magellan eXplorist 610 is a GPS unit you can get a lot of year-round use out-of as well. The 610 can be mounted in your vehicle to help you navigate when traveling or on vacation… with pre-loaded Points of Interest ( POI )

of commonly needed destinations. (Note: For a test I queried the 610’s POI’s in my neck-of-the-woods and was impressed with its ability to locate popular and up-to-date places ). Magellan’s website provides free software downloads (Content Manager, VantagePoint, Magellan Communicator) for your computer to enable you to view/organize your GPS eXplorist data, communicate with www.Geocaching.com, upload your GPS data, and receive product software update alerts. Accessories such as AC Adapters, vehicle Power Adapters, and mounting kits are also available from Magellan for the 610 and other eXplorist series models.

For more information on the Magellan eXplorist 610 and other Magellan products, you can visit their website at http://www.magellangps.com/Products/eXploristseries

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MANUFACTURER’S SPECIFICATIONS:
• Product Number TX0610SGXUS
Device
• Dimensions (English) 2.57" x 5.04" x 1.45"
• Dimensions (Metric) 65.3mm x 128mm x 36.8mm
• Weight (English) 6.87oz
• Weight (Metric) 195g
• Battery Type 2xAA
• Battery Life 16 Hours
• Camera Yes
• Microphone Yes
• Waterproof IPX-7
• Speaker Yes
• Available User Storage 500 MB
• CPU 400MHz
• Expandable Memory microSD
• Temperature Range (F) 14F to 140F
• Temperature Range (C) -10C to 60C
• Suspend Mode Yes
• Internal Memory 4 GB

Screen
• Display Resolution, WxH WQVGA, 240 x 400
• Screen Size 3.0"
• Display Type Color, Transflective
• Touch Screen Yes
GPS & Sensors
• GPS Accuracy Up to 3-5 meters
• High-Sensitivity GPS SiRFstarIII™
• Antenna Type Multidirectional Patch
• 3-Axis Electronic Compass Yes
• Barometric Altimeter Yes
• WAAS/EGNOS/MSAS Yes

Mapping & Navigation
• Preloaded Maps World Edition + Summit Series USA
• Uploadable Maps Yes
• Points of Interest T
• Turn-by-Turn Routing Yes
• Vertical Profile Yes
• Area Calculation Yes
• Hunt & Fish Calendar Yes
• Sun & Moon Information Yes
• Coordinates Systems & Datums Yes
• User Grid Yes
• OneTouch Favorites Menu Yes
• Audible Proximity Alarms Yes
• Silent Proximity Alarms Yes
User Generated Content
• Accepts GPX Files Yes
• Waypoints 2000
• Routes 200
• Geocaches 10000
• Legs Per Route 500
• Paperless Geocaching Yes
• Picture Viewer Yes
• Tracks 200
• Points Per Track 10000
Interface & Communications
• Communication Protocol USB Mass Storage
• USB Port Yes
• NMEA Output Yes
• PC Compatible Yes

Last edited by Marty on Sun 17 Apr - 19:22; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Revised link/sp.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Muley
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 8665
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: MAGELLAN eXplorist Series 610 GPS Device REVIEW   Sun 17 Apr - 13:26

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, WWI fighter pilot

"Contented ignorance is better than presumptuous wisdom."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: MAGELLAN eXplorist Series 610 GPS Device REVIEW   Sun 17 Apr - 13:40

Colorado wrote:
Link didn't work. Try this one.

http://www.magellangps.com/Products/Outdoor-Navigation

Thanks Old Timer. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 13428
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: MAGELLAN eXplorist Series 610 GPS Device REVIEW   Sun 17 Apr - 13:44

Now that looks bad ass! They certainly have come a long way over the years.

Excuse me if i over looked it, but can you upload Topo maps to it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: MAGELLAN eXplorist Series 610 GPS Device REVIEW   Sun 17 Apr - 14:41

@FrontierGander wrote:
Now that looks bad ass! They certainly have come a long way over the years.

Excuse me if i over looked it, but can you upload Topo maps to it?

You can purchase additional FULL topo maps and others at:

http://www.magellangps.com/Maps/Other-Maps
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Muley
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 8665
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: MAGELLAN eXplorist Series 610 GPS Device REVIEW   Sun 17 Apr - 16:35

No doubt it's nice, but $500? I'll have to stick to my compass and maps.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, WWI fighter pilot

"Contented ignorance is better than presumptuous wisdom."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 13428
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: MAGELLAN eXplorist Series 610 GPS Device REVIEW   Sun 17 Apr - 17:02

Almost forgot marty, beautiful hunting area as well!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
robm1093

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2010-10-04

PostSubject: Re: MAGELLAN eXplorist Series 610 GPS Device REVIEW   Sat 11 Aug - 0:04

Thanks for the review; did you test it under thick cover yet?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: MAGELLAN eXplorist Series 610 GPS Device REVIEW   Sat 11 Aug - 12:30

@robm1093 wrote:
Thanks for the review; did you test it under thick cover yet?

With your question I thought this might be a good time to follow-up on how this GPS performs "on-demand" compared to when I first tested it awhile back new. This morning I simply threw a pair of fully-charged, rechargable batteries in it and off to my neighbor's tick/mosquito-infested woods I went. I had last used this GPS a few months ago while post-season scouting. This morning provided great conditions to test for reception... 75 degrees with overcast cloud-cover.

While stationary under the full canopy of a harwoods forest, I powered-up the GPS and it captured a signal in about two minutes. Accurracy was in the 38-41 foot range. When I hunted with it mid-October last year I had no problem capturing a signal under tree canopies. Accuracy is usually improved too it you are moving through the canopy. Unlike other hand-held GPS units I've used, this one works under cover.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
robm1093

PostSubject: Re: MAGELLAN eXplorist Series 610 GPS Device REVIEW   Sat 11 Aug - 12:51

Recently I seen some Good and bade review on this model, papule are saying it eats up the battery power extremely fast and the 610 series has sum bugs that need to be work out. http://www.amazon.com/Magellan-eXplorist-610-Waterproof-Hiking/product-reviews/B003XU78OU
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: MAGELLAN eXplorist Series 610 GPS Device REVIEW   Sat 11 Aug - 15:06

@robm1093 wrote:
Recently I seen some Good and bade review on this model, papule are saying it eats up the battery power extremely fast and the 610 series has sum bugs that need to be work out. http://www.amazon.com/Magellan-eXplorist-610-Waterproof-Hiking/product-reviews/B003XU78OU

When it comes to anything eletronic there will always be bugs, but I have not encountered any hardware or software problems with the Magellan 610. The only mechanical, touch-screen "annoyance" I have with the 610 is when selecting a Waypoint ICON. (The right-side scroll-down bar on the ICON Menu screen is too narrow for any finger.)

Just like a laptop, GPS owners need to keep their software version updated which usually provides a FIX for some identified glitch. [ NOTE: A software update {Version 6.52 ) and NMEA Driver is now avaialble for the 610, and users should download this and install it on their device. ] If someone is having a command problem with a small touch screen, it's usually because they are not able to accurately press the desired command button, or are pressing more than one button at the same time with big fingers. Here's a little trick I found to solve that problem. I'll take a cheap, plastic ballpoint pen and remove all of its metal hardware... and use the tip to tap and select commands. Works great every time.

As far as battery life goes, with any GPS if you run all the features and programs at once all the time then your battery life will be shortened. I happen to like the adjustable Power Saver modes on the 610 which will extends battery life in the field.

Hope this helps and good luck searching for a GPS.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
robm1093

PostSubject: Re: MAGELLAN eXplorist Series 610 GPS Device REVIEW   Sat 11 Aug - 15:48

I’m thinking I don’t need all the bells and whistles, just a basic simple Gps that works grate under heavy cover.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MAGELLAN eXplorist Series 610 GPS Device REVIEW   Today at 0:33

Back to top Go down

MAGELLAN eXplorist Series 610 GPS Device REVIEW
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1