Flintlock?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
lnh223

Male Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2010-04-23

PostSubject: Flintlock?   June 23rd 2011, 10:30 am

Hi everyone,

I have a question about traditional flintlocks. (long story) My Uncle has recently inherited about 100 acres in Pennsylvania and I've been helping him get set up to hunt. Anyway I've been invited to hunt there this coming season, cheers Unfortunately the only time i would be available to is during the late flintlock season. First if anyone in Pa. could tell me if the hunting is any good at that time, and second if anyone could recommend a halfway decent flintlock with a reasonable price that would be great. I've been looking at, the traditions Kentucky and Shenandoah rifles, what do you guys think?
http://www.possibleshop.com/rifle-pennsylvinia.html

Thanks,

Luke
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chaded

Male Number of posts : 1196
Registration date : 2011-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Flintlock?   June 23rd 2011, 10:45 am

FG, Colorado, or someone else will probably be able to help you out on the flintlocks. And as far as PA its going to depend on the area but id say you would have as good as chance as any being that you'll have 100 acres to yourselfs. Be sure to put up posted signs or you'll have people hunting it in PA.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9437
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Flintlock?   June 23rd 2011, 11:41 am

I'm not a fan of Tradition guns. I'd look around for a TC Hawken flintlock used. A real solid gun that's USA made. It will last you forever. You should get a nice one for around $300.

Another option is a Lyman GPR. Nice shooting gun, but a bit heavy.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Admin

Male Number of posts : 14267
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Flintlock?   June 23rd 2011, 1:07 pm

INH, do it right the first time! Check out the lyman great plains rifle, i'd highly suggest the .54 cal and the simple round balls. Its a darn good rifle.

Another would be the lyman trade rifle in 54cal flinter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
lnh223

PostSubject: Re: Flintlock?   June 23rd 2011, 2:11 pm

Thanks, guys

I think i saw a TC 54 cal and CVA 50 cal Hawken at the local flea market. Both unfortunately were precussion, is it fesable to convert them or is it a pain? If not i'll probably check them out next time. The CVA was only 150 but was missing the patch/capbox lid and was kinda rusty in the bore. What do you think their worth, both are used? The only thing is that for some reason I just don't really like the looks of the hawken style rifles. Embarassed

Thanks again
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Flintlock?   June 23rd 2011, 2:27 pm

@lnh223 wrote:
Thanks, guys

I think i saw a TC 54 cal and CVA 50 cal Hawken at the local flea market. Both unfortunately were precussion, is it fesable to convert them or is it a pain? If not i'll probably check them out next time. The CVA was only 150 but was missing the patch/capbox lid and was kinda rusty in the bore. What do you think their worth, both are used? The only thing is that for some reason I just don't really like the looks of the hawken style rifles. Embarassed

Thanks again

Look for a TC. Much better gun. It's not practical to convert to a flint. Much easier to find a factory flint. Keep looking.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lnh223

PostSubject: Re: Flintlock?   June 23rd 2011, 4:40 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Flintlock?   June 23rd 2011, 5:24 pm

I like the last one on the list. The Renegade. I have the same gun in a caplock. Very good shooter and never gave me a lick of trouble. I picked the last one on the list, because it mentions a nice shiny bore. Much more important than some handling marks. It's a hunting gun, and they get marks. easy to fix, but a pitted bore isn't.

It's priced a bit high, but not too bad for a flintlock.

I would have suggested the .54 if you were hunting elk, but the .50 is fine for deer.

It has a 1-48 twist, so it works great with a PRB, and some conicals. I think your flintlock season is PRB only?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
lnh223

PostSubject: Re: Flintlock?   June 23rd 2011, 5:49 pm

I'm not sure about what projectiles are allowed the Pa. rules don't really say.

"Flintlock Muzzleloader Season: Flintlock ignition, single-barrel
long gun, 44 caliber or larger, or 50 caliber or larger handgun, using
single projectile ammunition. It is unlawful to use telescopic sights.
Peep sights are permitted."

Its gets to be really difficult to figure out the rules in a state you've never hunted in before. scratch
I've only ever hunted in Ohio.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chaded

Male Number of posts : 1196
Registration date : 2011-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Flintlock?   June 23rd 2011, 5:51 pm

Well PA is just...a little strange with some of there ways.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Flintlock?   June 23rd 2011, 6:01 pm

@lnh223 wrote:
I'm not sure about what projectiles are allowed the Pa. rules don't really say.

"Flintlock Muzzleloader Season: Flintlock ignition, single-barrel
long gun, 44 caliber or larger, or 50 caliber or larger handgun, using
single projectile ammunition. It is unlawful to use telescopic sights.
Peep sights are permitted."

Its gets to be really difficult to figure out the rules in a state you've never hunted in before. scratch
I've only ever hunted in Ohio.

If that's the whole thing. It looks like you can use any bullet. The PRB will do fine for whitetails.

Keep one thing in mind. Flintlocks should be using real black powder to be reliable.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
lnh223

PostSubject: Re: Flintlock?   June 24th 2011, 6:26 am

Ok, more questions confused

The more I look into it the better I like the Lyman great plains rifle. I just can't seem to make up my mind on what caliber. FG suggested 54 and I kinda like that idea, however I already have a cva accura, kodiak and my dad's optima in 50. I was wondering will powerbelts and sabots work well in a 1-60 twist if so it would limit the amount of different bullets etc. I would have to buy.

Thanks again guys,
Its nice to be able to get info from people who have experience with the rifles rather than just taking a shot in the dark.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Flintlock?   June 24th 2011, 9:40 am

@lnh223 wrote:
Ok, more questions confused

The more I look into it the better I like the Lyman great plains rifle. I just can't seem to make up my mind on what caliber. FG suggested 54 and I kinda like that idea, however I already have a cva accura, kodiak and my dad's optima in 50. I was wondering will powerbelts and sabots work well in a 1-60 twist if so it would limit the amount of different bullets etc. I would have to buy.

Thanks again guys,
Its nice to be able to get info from people who have experience with the rifles rather than just taking a shot in the dark.

You can get the GPH. (Great Plains Hunter) It's the same exact gun, but has a 1-32 twist barrel. It will do as good with conicals as your inlines.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
lnh223

PostSubject: Re: Flintlock?   June 26th 2011, 2:58 pm

So, I finally just broke down and ordered a new Lyman great plains rifle.
I ended up ordering the 50 cal.(1-60 twist) because the 54 was on back order Crying or Very sad.

I'll be sure to let you guys know how it shoots but don't expect too great of groups just yet,
This is the first flintlock I've ever owned.

I plan on starting out with .490 roundballs, .018 pillow ticking and 2f Goex. (not sure how much yet)

We'll see how it turns out. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flintlock?   

Back to top Go down

Flintlock?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: