HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

I have a theory about preping an sidelock before hunting

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
corey012778

Male Number of posts : 2309
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: I have a theory about preping an sidelock before hunting   December 21st 2011, 12:58 am

I know popping an cap before loading an sidelock for an range session or an hunt is the norm. I pop two or three before I load. but I worked up an theory about using an air compressor to blow the oil out.

first: run an alcohol patch down the barrel to remove the oil.
second: take an qtip soaked in alcohol and clean out the booster (powder drum) (if possible)
third: place an patch at the end of the range rod, either from the nipple or the clean out, with proper fitting. blow the air thru the gun.

I won't be able to test this for an few more weeks. just wanted yalls thoughts on this.

bad monkey  :wow
Back to top Go down
View user profile
plateshooter

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-10-11

PostSubject: Re: I have a theory about preping an sidelock before hunting   December 21st 2011, 3:21 am

corey, my system is similar to yours. I store my MLs with RIG grease in the bore. I use brake cleaner to clean my barrels before I leave the house. I wet patch the barrel until it squeaks, then I spray a small amount brake cleaner down the bore until I see it at the nipple, then blow air through the nipple to clean the channel out. Never had a hang for misfire with any of my rifles doing that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5324
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: I have a theory about preping an sidelock before hunting   December 26th 2011, 11:24 am

Been doing that myself but instead of brake cleaner i use carb cleaner, then i'll fire one or two caps at a blade of grass and if it moves i'll load up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I have a theory about preping an sidelock before hunting   

Back to top Go down

I have a theory about preping an sidelock before hunting
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: