HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Share | 

BH 209 and CVA HunterBolt, Breech Plug blow back

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
KNLG1

Number of posts: 4
Registration date: 2012-06-06

PostSubject: BH 209 and CVA HunterBolt, Breech Plug blow back   June 26th 2012, 5:47 pm

First time poster,

My HunterBolt has a lot of blow back from the primer and I'm sure you can guess I can't get BH 209 to ignite. I would really like to use it because I'm sure it will help with accuracy compared to my third shot with other powders, or I should say pellets.

I emailed CVA and they said "Blackhorn 209 is not recommended for use in the bolt action or conventional inline style of muzzleloaders."

I really don't want to spend money on a new gun, but I don't think I have much choice unless someone has a suggestion. I have cleaned the breech plug like they recommend on the BH website. From what I read so far I could maybe try a foreign primer as they have a larger diameter. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts: 10595
Registration date: 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: BH 209 and CVA HunterBolt, Breech Plug blow back   June 26th 2012, 6:01 pm

order the hex head cva breech plug, along with these o rings,
you need the hex head breech plug thats fully enclosed and then you will have to shim the 2 piece bolt to make for a snug fit against the primer to prevent blow by.

You can also install one of these o rings into the breech plugs primer pocket to close up the "head space".
9262K611
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/3490/=i5gcr4

CVA Hawken .58cal
Traditions Kentucky .50cal Flinter
CVA Wolf .50cal
M44 Mosin Nagant

Patch N Ball Muzzleloading
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
KNLG1

PostSubject: Re: BH 209 and CVA HunterBolt, Breech Plug blow back   June 26th 2012, 8:51 pm

Fantastic, thanks for the help and great picture with instructions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KNLG1

PostSubject: Re: BH 209 and CVA HunterBolt, Breech Plug blow back   November 14th 2012, 7:00 pm

So I took the breech plug out of my son's Optima to try in my Hunterbolt. I added a size 006 Oring that has an I.D 1/8 inch and O.D. 1/4 inch to the primer pocket. It seals the primer pocket so I don't have any blowback and the primer rests against the bolt.
I didn't add any shims. The gun has fired perfectly and the accuracy is great. I could never get consistent groups with pellets because of the crud ring. The trajectory is great, about 3 inches high at 60 yards, so I backed off to 100 yards and it was still 3 inches high. At 150 yards it is still 3 inches high. Bullet is 250 grain Hornady SST-ML with a weighed charge of 70 grains of Blackhorn 209 and CCI M 209 primer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OLDBOB

Number of posts: 101
Registration date: 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: BH 209 and CVA HunterBolt, Breech Plug blow back   November 14th 2012, 7:58 pm

KNLG1 wrote:
So I took the breech plug out of my son's Optima to try in my Hunterbolt. I added a size 006 Oring that has an I.D 1/8 inch and O.D. 1/4 inch to the primer pocket. It seals the primer pocket so I don't have any blowback and the primer rests against the bolt.
I didn't add any shims. The gun has fired perfectly and the accuracy is great. I could never get consistent groups with pellets because of the crud ring. The trajectory is great, about 3 inches high at 60 yards, so I backed off to 100 yards and it was still 3 inches high. At 150 yards it is still 3 inches high. Bullet is 250 grain Hornady SST-ML with a weighed charge of 70 grains of Blackhorn 209 and CCI M 209 primer.

Sounds like that was an easy fix. Your all set to go.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: BH 209 and CVA HunterBolt, Breech Plug blow back   November 14th 2012, 8:29 pm

yep! A very simple fix indeed.

Make sure you keep that plugs flash channel clean with a 3mm or #32 drill bit!

CVA Hawken .58cal
CVA Wolf .50cal
M44 Mosin Nagant

Back to top Go down
OLDBOB

Number of posts: 101
Registration date: 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: BH 209 and CVA HunterBolt, Breech Plug blow back   November 15th 2012, 7:10 am

FrontierGander wrote:
yep! A very simple fix indeed.

Make sure you keep that plugs flash channel clean with a 3mm or #32 drill bit!

Your fixes for breech plugs problems, and head space problems have helped many and continue to do so.
You must wonder why the manufacuters don't include the tools and instructions when they sell a gun?
I think that many more would get into the muzzleloader scene if they didn't think that it was so much trouble.
The fun is in the challenges.
Thanks for what you do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: BH 209 and CVA HunterBolt, Breech Plug blow back   November 15th 2012, 10:34 am

Basically they dont want to touch this because they are afraid someone will adjust to much and set the primer off when closing it up. They do need to take a serious look at what ive done for their guns to make them a lot better, and more importantly, what i've done for their customers in making them happier with a cleaner, more accuracy shooting muzzy.

CVA Hawken .58cal
CVA Wolf .50cal
M44 Mosin Nagant

Back to top Go down
biddler2

Male Number of posts: 340
Registration date: 2011-11-14

PostSubject: Re: BH 209 and CVA HunterBolt, Breech Plug blow back   November 19th 2012, 2:28 pm

I too made the mods to use BH209 in my Magbolt and noticed with the oring in the plug there is no blow by. Information like this is why I love this forum. Good luck shooting with BH209 it has been a great for me and is super easy to clean. Plus with the mod it doesn't take forever to clean the area outside of the breech plug.

View user profile
KNLG1

PostSubject: Re: BH 209 and CVA HunterBolt, Breech Plug blow back   November 19th 2012, 8:08 pm

Yes, now the bolt and the outside of the breech plug stay clean when the blowback isn't happening. And I forgot to mention I don't scorch my scope anymore which is really great too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

BH 209 and CVA HunterBolt, Breech Plug blow back

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading ::  ::  :: -