Share | 

CVA MAGBOLT HUNTER 50 CAL. QUESTION/PROBLEM

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
whitetailsniper

Male Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2012-09-18

PostSubject: CVA MAGBOLT HUNTER 50 CAL. QUESTION/PROBLEM   September 18th 2012, 10:28 am

HELLO ALL, IM LOOKING TO BUY A 50 CAL. CVA MAGBOLT HUNTER IN LINE. A WOMAN SENT ME PICS OF ONE SHE HAS FOR SALE.
PROBLEM IS THE BREACHPLUG is totally messed up. from the pics she sent me of this area,it looks as if someone used a screwdriver to try to remove and hacked it up pretty badly. were the slit is,i call them ears,but there nothing there anymore. i have some kroil to penatrate the threads to unfreeze the plug,but im concerned that the threads are stripted on the barrel,,it it easy to replace the barrel with a bergara barrel?
my other concern is that the gun was fired,and being the breach plug was not able to be removed ,that the barrel is now pitted. thoughts anyone??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chaded

Male Number of posts : 1193
Registration date : 2011-05-08

PostSubject: Re: CVA MAGBOLT HUNTER 50 CAL. QUESTION/PROBLEM   September 18th 2012, 10:38 am

Welcome to the forum. I would have all of them concerns also. I don't believe Bergara makes a barrel for that gun that I know of.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14398
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: CVA MAGBOLT HUNTER 50 CAL. QUESTION/PROBLEM   September 18th 2012, 11:19 am

Welcome to the forum as well. It sounds like someone broke the ears off the plug due to it freezing up.

I'd give a call and see if one of the gunsmiths could take a look at it and get that plug removed. I think that would be your best bet to getting it fixed and checked out properly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5321
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: CVA MAGBOLT HUNTER 50 CAL. QUESTION/PROBLEM   September 18th 2012, 12:05 pm

As for the pitted barrel just drop a bore light down the barrel and make sure the barrel is ok.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sqezer

Male Number of posts : 1736
Registration date : 2009-11-06

PostSubject: Re: CVA MAGBOLT HUNTER 50 CAL. QUESTION/PROBLEM   September 18th 2012, 12:05 pm

I've had that happen to me, first off make sure the gun is unloaded. Next remove the bolt system and drill out the breech plug so you can turn a large easy out into the plug. Take and heat up the end of the barrel around the plug, then tap in the easy out and the plug should come out. THE BIGGER THE EASY OUT THE MORE PRESURE YOU CAN APPLY TO THE PLUG.

.45 Knight Disc Extreme MHSDE SS composit stock
.50 Knight Mountaineer Laminated stock
.50 Knight Disc Elite
.50 Knight Disc Extreme X 3
.50 Knight Long Range Hunter
.52 Knight Disc Extreme Winter Camo stock
.45 CVA Apex & 7mm-08
.50 CVA APEX
.45 CVA MagHunter X 5
.50 CVA Buckhorn Mag X 4
.50 CVA Wolf Shorty
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sqezer@yahoo.com
muznut

Number of posts : 704
Registration date : 2012-01-24

PostSubject: Re: CVA MAGBOLT HUNTER 50 CAL. QUESTION/PROBLEM   September 18th 2012, 1:48 pm

I'm not completely sure but I think CVA sold the Magbolt with a 50 and 45cal combo barrel/receiver at one time. Maybe you can find someone that wants to sell one of his barrel/receiver's.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sqezer

PostSubject: Re: CVA MAGBOLT HUNTER 50 CAL. QUESTION/PROBLEM   September 18th 2012, 6:06 pm

I've got 4 in .45 but not for sale. If you pay shipping I'll try to fix the plug problem.

.50 Knight Disc Elite
.45 CVA Apex & 7mm-08
.50 CVA APEX
.45 CVA MagHunter X 5
.50 CVA Buckhorn Mag X 4
.50 CVA Wolf Shorty
Back to top Go down
whitetailsniper

PostSubject: Re: CVA MAGBOLT HUNTER 50 CAL. QUESTION/PROBLEM   September 18th 2012, 6:12 pm

hi guys,and thank you for your advice. here what ive found out so far,,the pics that were sent to me today,were fuzzy and not very clear on the ears of the plug. but from what i could make out,it was pretty messed up. her husband told me that, when the plug was being removed,they didnt have the proper tool to remove the plug,and its buggered up. he says ,,with the proper tool it can be removed. im thinking i can borrow my youngest sons tool to remove,but only after i use kroil arround the threads first,and let set awhile. the seller also says the gun comes with a new breach plug,so thats 15.00 i dnt have to spend. he is asking 75.00 for the in line,however im going to offer 60.00 and go from there. i did call cva today,they reffered me to deer creek,,witch i called,and they told me they have either blued or stainless full barrel replacement with reciever area and all for 95.00 witch means if the barrel is fubar,,,then all i have to do is remove the 1 screw inder the stock,and replace with the new. i started out with this same gun,then advanced to the t/c encore pro 209x50,and even went as far as getting a t/c encore pro 209x50 15 inch pistol as its mate. i gave the cva magbolt to my son.and he just loves it.and has taken a few deer with it. so i was thinking it would make a great choice for my daughter in law for her first. the seller is going to send me better pics tomarrow,so we will see whats what,then.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whitetailsniper

PostSubject: Re: CVA MAGBOLT HUNTER 50 CAL. QUESTION/PROBLEM   September 18th 2012, 6:13 pm

thank you sqezer for that kind offer,,ill keep you posted the more i find out. that offer was truely kind to be sure!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: CVA MAGBOLT HUNTER 50 CAL. QUESTION/PROBLEM   September 18th 2012, 6:14 pm

wow that new barrel price is excellent.
Back to top Go down
sqezer

PostSubject: Re: CVA MAGBOLT HUNTER 50 CAL. QUESTION/PROBLEM   September 18th 2012, 6:21 pm

You bet. the MagHunter is a very good ML, thats coming from a KNIGHT SHOOTER.

.50 Knight Disc Elite
.45 CVA Apex & 7mm-08
.50 CVA APEX
.45 CVA MagHunter X 5
.50 CVA Buckhorn Mag X 4
.50 CVA Wolf Shorty
Back to top Go down
whitetailsniper

PostSubject: Re: CVA MAGBOLT HUNTER 50 CAL. QUESTION/PROBLEM   September 18th 2012, 6:50 pm

it truley is a great gun for the money,,i bought mine new from bass pro for 139.99 back in its day. and i was pleasnatly happy with the price they told me for a new drop in barrel/action. 95.00 for either blue or stainless. my daughter in law has alot of tom boy in her, she loves deer hunting,and shooting. i bought her her first new bow last yr. pse spyder,,and she outshoots my son,her husband. does anyone here know what yr. they brought the magbolt out?? it may help me knowing this when were talking price-lol- if my daughter in law can handle a 12 gauge using 3 inch shells,she can do the magbolt no problem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pilsbury38

Male Number of posts : 251
Registration date : 2011-12-04

PostSubject: Re: CVA MAGBOLT HUNTER 50 CAL. QUESTION/PROBLEM   September 21st 2012, 3:20 pm

Is the mag bolt the same gun as the hunterbolt? If so I could use a new barrel myself. Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
muznut

Number of posts : 704
Registration date : 2012-01-24

PostSubject: Re: CVA MAGBOLT HUNTER 50 CAL. QUESTION/PROBLEM   September 21st 2012, 5:04 pm

You might want to consider putting that $95 towards the Elkhorn? A 209 primer ejector is pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whitetailsniper

PostSubject: Re: CVA MAGBOLT HUNTER 50 CAL. QUESTION/PROBLEM   September 21st 2012, 11:34 pm

im not sure if the magbolt is same as hunterbolt,,ck cva for accurate answer.
well this guy i was buying it from,sold it underneath me.. NICE! so i guess im back looking for something for my daughter in law. i had the guy for this gun at 70.00 then after we exchanged info and mailing adress,,he emails me and tells me he sold it. what a heck of a guy! so im back to looking for a magbolt.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1281
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: CVA MAGBOLT HUNTER 50 CAL. QUESTION/PROBLEM   September 22nd 2012, 8:10 pm

The CVA Mag Bolt, Hunter Bolt and Mag Hunter are almost the same.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pilsbury38

PostSubject: Re: CVA MAGBOLT HUNTER 50 CAL. QUESTION/PROBLEM   September 23rd 2012, 6:45 pm

Mine is actually the hunterbolt mag, would like to get a new barrel for it because my son shot his very first deer with it years ago. One year I forgot to clean it after season and .....well lets just say its not a good idea to leave pyrodex in there for a year Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pilsbury38

PostSubject: Re: CVA MAGBOLT HUNTER 50 CAL. QUESTION/PROBLEM   October 9th 2012, 6:38 pm

Deer creek did have a new barrel for my hunter bolt mag, I ordered today my question is I hear people use bore butter to "season " the barrel. I 've never done this before ...... should I? What does it do? Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ceader savage

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2009-06-06

PostSubject: Re: CVA MAGBOLT HUNTER 50 CAL. QUESTION/PROBLEM   October 9th 2012, 6:50 pm

Well I have a 45 cal. Not 50, in the mag bolt 150 S.S. Nickle I think camo stock ,209
primmer. bases on it .Never Fired for 250.00 sent to u

[IMG]http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif[/IMG

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ceader savage

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2009-06-06

PostSubject: Re: CVA MAGBOLT HUNTER 50 CAL. QUESTION/PROBLEM   October 9th 2012, 6:53 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: CVA MAGBOLT HUNTER 50 CAL. QUESTION/PROBLEM   October 9th 2012, 7:17 pm

@pilsbury38 wrote:
Deer creek did have a new barrel for my hunter bolt mag, I ordered today my question is I hear people use bore butter to "season " the barrel. I 've never done this before ...... should I? What does it do? Thanks

Stay away from bore butter! Its junk unless used for patched ball lube.

No such thing as seasoning a modern day steel barrel, in the old days it might have helped the old iron/poor quality steel barrels but it does nothing for todays barrels.

After cleaning, just follow up with a good quality bore oil. Birchwood Casey Barricade, RIG #2, Montana xtreme gun oil, montana xtreme bore conditioner, those are all good quality oils to use.
Back to top Go down
sqezer

PostSubject: Re: CVA MAGBOLT HUNTER 50 CAL. QUESTION/PROBLEM   October 9th 2012, 9:43 pm

Thanks MD for jumping in there on the bore butter, there's no need to season the new ML's it's a sajes gimmic.

.50 Knight Disc Elite
.45 CVA Apex & 7mm-08
.50 CVA APEX
.45 CVA MagHunter X 5
.50 CVA Buckhorn Mag X 4
.50 CVA Wolf Shorty
Back to top Go down
pilsbury38

PostSubject: Re: CVA MAGBOLT HUNTER 50 CAL. QUESTION/PROBLEM   October 10th 2012, 5:19 am

Thanks FG
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gemihur

Male Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-12-04

PostSubject: Re: CVA MAGBOLT HUNTER 50 CAL. QUESTION/PROBLEM   January 11th 2016, 8:08 am

Hey Sniper,
I can't speak with certainty, but your description of the gun's malady sounds much like one I acquired last summer. It was a CVA Buckhunter .50cal 209 that someone had cross-threaded the breech plug to the rear of the barrel. Luckily the previous owner had secured a replacement plug but abandoned the project. I obtained a thread tap of 5/8"x18 TPI for less than $10 off of Ebay and carefully redressed the back of the barrel. That little rifle shoots like a rocket and will hold it's own to my 700 ML!
I hope you can remedy the gun's condition.
Jimmy in VA
sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dr1445

Male Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2015-05-02

PostSubject: Re: CVA MAGBOLT HUNTER 50 CAL. QUESTION/PROBLEM   January 11th 2016, 10:05 am

look into a tc black diamond, there are good buys on them around if you look. i just got a traditions lightning, it was the only plunger type from spain i could find that has 2 screws holding the action to the stock. makes free floating the barrel possible, not to sure on those 1 screw jobs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CVA MAGBOLT HUNTER 50 CAL. QUESTION/PROBLEM   

Back to top Go down

CVA MAGBOLT HUNTER 50 CAL. QUESTION/PROBLEM
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: