Thoughts On CVA Wolf

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
oneshot 1

Number of posts: 113
Registration date: 2012-04-23

PostSubject: Thoughts On CVA Wolf   October 28th 2012, 6:59 am

Ok took my New CVA Wolf out and shot it.Ok first off it shoots Great.Clean up is Fast unless you are Cleaning the Firing Pin.

I fired several times and plenty of crud around the Firing Pin so I pulled it and cleaned it.Using just a Screwdriver to pull it I see this as a problem down the road if there is any problem getting it out.I did put Breach Plug Greese on it when I put it back.Plus not sure on how often to clean Firing Pin,if it has to be cleaned every time it kind of defeats the ease of cleaning just because of the Breach Plug.

Now while I had it apart getting it back together where the Barrel would Lock down was a Little Tricky,still don't know what I did but finally got it to Lock.

Now get back to the Breach Plug,not sure what Metal is is made of but I tend to think it's softer than Breach Plugs in the past,the reason for the Longer one but it also will have more give leading to easier removal by Hand.

Ram Rod???? Why change from the Old.The one on this Rifle if you have to get ahold of it to push a stuborn Sabot in it's too slick plus I'm not sure I trust its strength.

All in All like I say it shoots Great but I feel CVA has cut corners,if you put this Rifle up against my Old Cheap Staghorn the Staghorn will Win as far as the way it's made,only thing it is Open Breach.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OLDBOB

Number of posts: 101
Registration date: 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On CVA Wolf   October 28th 2012, 1:28 pm

I'm sure FG will get with you about some of these issues, especially the cleadup by the firing pin. It sounds like blowback from the primer. My wolf shoots great especially after the tuneup by FG and now that I shoot BH 209. You'll have the problems cleared up in no time. Good Luck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oneshot 1

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On CVA Wolf   October 28th 2012, 5:04 pm

OLDBOB wrote:
I'm sure FG will get with you about some of these issues, especially the cleadup by the firing pin. It sounds like blowback from the primer. My wolf shoots great especially after the tuneup by FG and now that I shoot BH 209. You'll have the problems cleared up in no time. Good Luck.

I'm going to stick with Pyrodex RS I can find it anywhere and on Fixed Income I have to watch cost.But like I was just telling my wife with using less it may be cost effective as far as clean up I use mix of 50/50 Windsheld Cleaner and Alcohol.

Might add I still like my CVA Sidelock 54Cal. and my CVA 12Ga. Double which I showed to a Guy from CVA that had never seen one.

oneshot

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts: 10839
Registration date: 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On CVA Wolf   October 28th 2012, 7:37 pm

thats the primer blow by, adjust the firing pin bushing by going to the Muzzleloading tune up section and follow the instructions.

Ramrod is a good deal flexy but if you do as you should take take it 4 to 6 inches at a time, no problems.

Patch N Ball Muzzleloading
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
The Butcher

Number of posts: 176
Registration date: 2011-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On CVA Wolf   October 29th 2012, 4:01 am

We must also consider the fact that the Wolf is as about as cheap as it can be. Not a high end model, with all the bells, frills, and whistles. I have the Apex, which is on the high end, and bought the Wolf for Hannah, The Apex shoots a little better, but for $249 for gun scope and case, and 1" groups at 100 Yds, I think it's a great value. I had an original Encore, and a Encore Pro Hunter, and niether shot as well as the wolf, and cost 3 times as much. Just me 2 cts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oneshot 1

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On CVA Wolf   October 30th 2012, 7:02 am

Ok I bought the Wolf being on a Fix Income I can't be spending much and have to watch cost.The Firing Pin is no problem now.

Now Propellants and Bullets like I say I have to watch cost.Pyrodex RS is the cheapest and I can get it anywhere has always worked well in all my Rifles and Shotguns including CVA's which I now have 5.The same with Bullets my CVA 54 and 50 Cal. Sidelocks is a No Brainer Patch and Ball.My Staghorn I've used all Cheap Shot 240Gr. Sabots,killed many animals with these,385Gr. Great Plains Bullets killed one Hog with these,quit using them when I found one day the Bullet had came off the Powder.Went mainly from Cheap Shot Sabots to buying bulk 240Gr. XTP's and tried regular Bulk Sabots but found the Loaded Hard so I just orderd Crush Ribbed Sabots,I have found they don't load that easy in my Wolf.I need a Cheap Bullet that is easy to Load because if I have a Pocket Full of Tags and a Herd of Deer in front of me I want to do my best to fill my Freezer,yes I have killed 3 Deer out of one Herd and you can't do this if you can't get a Bullet shoved in the Barrel,which also brings me to the Wolfs Ram Rod,I'm afraid I get in a hurry it isn't going to hold up so I will have to get another Ram Rod anyway.

I have been using CVA's from the start and have never had a problem.I'll admit I have one 50Cal. Sidelock that needs probably a New Spring but it still fires.I've had two 54Cal. Sidelocks killed many Deer with them,first time out killed two within 5 Minutes of the Season opening.My Staghorn has been on many Hunts and has killed many Deer,Hogs and one Ram.I had it on one hunt it was snowing so Bad,I kept the Action Coverd but found I had an inch of ice on the rear Sight but after setting the day with 2 foot of wet snow it still fired.I have a CVA Double Barrel Shotgun I got from an Amish that didn't know much even how to clean it,once I got the Nipples unfroze and got Left Barrel Firing it has worked Great,killed lots of Small Game and Turkeys with it.

I have been using Muzzleloaders since the '60's and like I say I've been with CVA from the start I'm trying to give the Wolf every oppertunity to work and now you see what your dealing with help me on this.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sqezer

Male Number of posts: 1510
Registration date: 2009-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On CVA Wolf   October 30th 2012, 4:12 pm

oneshot, I like that snowfall photo, some of the best movments for big bucks is in the snow storms.

.45 Knight Disc Extreme MHC Laminated Thumb Hole
.45 Knight Disc Extreme MHSDE SS composit stock
.50 Knight Mountaineer Laminated stock
.50 Knight Disc Elite
.50 Knight Disc Extreme X 2
.52 Knight Disc Extreme Winter Camo stock
.45 CVA Apex & .45 Smokeless
.50 CVA APEX
.45 CVA MagHunter X 4
.50 CVA Buckhorn Mag X 2
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sqezer@yahoo.com
OLDBOB

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On CVA Wolf   October 30th 2012, 5:44 pm

I can only say FANTASIC!! You don't let anything hold you back including a new gun. I been trying to get my wolf up to speed for a month and your already past me in days.
Great job.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Butcher

Number of posts: 176
Registration date: 2011-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On CVA Wolf   October 30th 2012, 6:12 pm

oneshot1,
You may want to try something like this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-POWDER-29-FIBERGLASS-RAMROD-KIT-5-PC-LG-CAL-/150932554258?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2324480212
Should be able to cut to your desired length, and make the way you like. I have replaced some ramrods on some of my muzzleloaders with the tresco rods. Can be found on ebay, some are already proper length. I have a Knight short starter, that is T shaped, and screws on to the end of my ramrod should I need to pull a ball patch out the gun good (which I usually do if I know the animal is dead) I had one here I'll give you if I can find it. I think it may be in the attic. Like I said, they are cheap enough on ebay. I hear you on the powder expense. It kills me to pay what I do for BH209 and it only being 10 oz. container. But I don't practice a lot with the in-line, just use it to hunt an extra season so I pay the price. Actually, I've been thinking of picking up a savage smokeless. Value per shot is in that rifle for sure. I love the Apex, and if I sell the shotgun barrel I "had to have" I'll most likely buy the daughter one. If your shots are close, you may be able to get away with cast 250-300 gr .44 or 45 cal bullets. Finding bargins gets harder and harder in todays world. If I should run across the ramrod, I'll pm you. While typing, I'm thinking I gave it to a buddy, come to think of it, but I'll look. Good luck. Don
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oneshot 1

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On CVA Wolf   October 30th 2012, 6:52 pm

The Butcher wrote:
oneshot1,
You may want to try something like this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-POWDER-29-FIBERGLASS-RAMROD-KIT-5-PC-LG-CAL-/150932554258?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2324480212
Should be able to cut to your desired length, and make the way you like. I have replaced some ramrods on some of my muzzleloaders with the tresco rods. Can be found on ebay, some are already proper length. I have a Knight short starter, that is T shaped, and screws on to the end of my ramrod should I need to pull a ball patch out the gun good (which I usually do if I know the animal is dead) I had one here I'll give you if I can find it. I think it may be in the attic. Like I said, they are cheap enough on ebay. I hear you on the powder expense. It kills me to pay what I do for BH209 and it only being 10 oz. container. But I don't practice a lot with the in-line, just use it to hunt an extra season so I pay the price. Actually, I've been thinking of picking up a savage smokeless. Value per shot is in that rifle for sure. I love the Apex, and if I sell the shotgun barrel I "had to have" I'll most likely buy the daughter one. If your shots are close, you may be able to get away with cast 250-300 gr .44 or 45 cal bullets. Finding bargins gets harder and harder in todays world. If I should run across the ramrod, I'll pm you. While typing, I'm thinking I gave it to a buddy, come to think of it, but I'll look. Good luck. Don

Yes have decided to go ahead and just buy a Fiberglass Rod.Got a couple Short Starters here thing is I'm having to use the Short Starter with Sabots on the Wolf where I never had to with the Staghorn.With Arthritis in my Hands it's hard enough to get ahold of a Ram Rod but the one on the Wolf is close to Fore Get It!What's funny is the one with the Wolf is scaryer than Wooden ones and the only one of them I ever broke was on a Kentucky Long.Got in a Hurry.

Had some Speed Loaders I liked that had Short Starter on them but Cap over the Powder got to where it would come open in my Pocket.

Thanks for the offer.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

Number of posts: 5325
Registration date: 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On CVA Wolf   October 31st 2012, 7:58 am

You will find that the Wolf is a nice little gun Oneshot1 Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ram2

Number of posts: 23
Registration date: 2012-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On CVA Wolf   November 5th 2012, 3:42 am

I also just bought a Wolf. Where is the serial number located so I can send in the warranty card?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
pilsbury38

Male Number of posts: 253
Registration date: 2011-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On CVA Wolf   November 5th 2012, 4:25 am

Under the forearm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ram2

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On CVA Wolf   November 5th 2012, 8:20 am

pilsbury38 wrote:
Under the forearm

Do I need to unscrew the forearm to see the serial number?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On CVA Wolf   November 5th 2012, 8:21 am

yes just remove the single screw and the forearm will pull away and your serial number will be under the barrel.

Back to top Go down
ram2

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On CVA Wolf   November 5th 2012, 5:22 pm

Another thing I noticed on my new Wolf - at the muzzle end of the barrel are 2 parallel gouges or shallow grooves that look like a grinder just touched the barrel. These are not just scratches. Should this barrel be replaced, or is this just a cosmetic issue?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
oneshot 1

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On CVA Wolf   November 6th 2012, 7:02 am

Ok I called CVA on this Rifle and they basically told me the rifle was made for Power Belts.I told them I didn't like how I heard Power Belts preformed and being on fixed income I couldn't afford them.They said Tuff and I told them I would never Buy another Firearm from them. Mad

oneshot
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Docmort

Number of posts: 63
Registration date: 2012-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On CVA Wolf   November 6th 2012, 7:59 am

One shot my brothers wolf shoots everything good. No reason to get mad at a company because they push there product.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On CVA Wolf   November 6th 2012, 8:36 am

the wolf is made to shoot a lot of projectiles, not just powerbelts. Whats the problem you are having? i agree with Doc, they are just trying to push their product and sell you their bullets.

Back to top Go down
oneshot 1

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On CVA Wolf   November 6th 2012, 11:06 am

FrontierGander wrote:
the wolf is made to shoot a lot of projectiles, not just powerbelts. Whats the problem you are having? i agree with Doc, they are just trying to push their product and sell you their bullets.

I'm trying to load 240Gr. 44Cal. Crush Rib Sabots,yes I can Short Start the First one in but follow up shot don't work.My Staghorn I just use my Regular Ram Rod,shove it through my Speed Loader no problem.I explained I couldn't afford Power Belts he says well your no going to be able to use Sabots.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Docmort

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On CVA Wolf   November 6th 2012, 11:10 am

Bs we shoot sabots. The horbady easy load sst 250
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On CVA Wolf   November 6th 2012, 11:14 am

oneshot 1 wrote:
FrontierGander wrote:

I'm trying to load 240Gr. 44Cal. Crush Rib Sabots,yes I can Short Start the First one in but follow up shot don't work.My Staghorn I just use my Regular Ram Rod,shove it through my Speed Loader no problem.I explained I couldn't afford Power Belts he says well your no going to be able to use Sabots.

oneshot

If you are not swabbing the bore clean between shots, I can easily see that being a big problem for you. T7 pellets are filthy and the main problem is the crud build up at the breech BUT it also can give a great amount of crud build up at the muzzle the first 3 to 4 inches.

Your staghorn wont see much of this mainly due to the exposed ignition, it allows a hell of a lot of primer blow by due to the slotted breech plug and it gives a much cooler primer temp to the primer, which helps the keep the crud ring way down.

I am interested in knowing who told you this about not being able to use sabots? Hes giving very bad info that will drive their customers off.

Back to top Go down
Docmort

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On CVA Wolf   November 6th 2012, 11:26 am

Cva giving you a load of stinky manure
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OLDBOB

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On CVA Wolf   November 6th 2012, 2:34 pm

I shoot a Wolf and when I started I was using T7 pellets. I also shot the Hornady SSTs with these pellets and had no problems loading them as long as I ran an alcohol patch down the barrel between shots. If I tried to shoot a second shot witout swabbing It was really difficult and a third shot was impossible. It also wasn't easy to load the powerbelts with a dirty bore. Now I shoot the BH209 and load anything with a dirty bore.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oneshot 1

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On CVA Wolf   November 6th 2012, 4:35 pm

OLDBOB wrote:
I shoot a Wolf and when I started I was using T7 pellets. I also shot the Hornady SSTs with these pellets and had no problems loading them as long as I ran an alcohol patch down the barrel between shots. If I tried to shoot a second shot witout swabbing It was really difficult and a third shot was impossible. It also wasn't easy to load the powerbelts with a dirty bore. Now I shoot the BH209 and load anything with a dirty bore.

Ok I use Pyrodex RS.This is going to be Major Problem because I go into the woods with multable Tags and shoot several Deer before I run out there is no way I can be swabbing the Bore out between shots while Deer are looking at me trying to figure what I am,several times I have shot 3 Deer in one Herd and two almost every time I go out.I use Speed Loaders,fire,dump my Powder in,push Sabot in through Speed Loader with Ram Rod,put Speed Loader in my Pocket,Reprime,Aim Fire again.

No there is no way with tight as this is and the Ram Rod.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Thoughts On CVA Wolf

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading ::  :: -