Share | 

45 cal loads

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BAMA J

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-10-27

PostSubject: 45 cal loads   October 31st 2013, 7:29 am

Good morning. I shoot a 45 CVA Kodiak Magnum with 195 Barnes Xpanders  and 95 gr BH209. My 100yd groups are not up to par, maybe 3 to 5 inches. Any tips or suggestions?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Number of posts : 3704
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: 45 cal loads   October 31st 2013, 9:10 am

Very Happy 

First off, WELCOME to the forum Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation You have come to the right place to hang out. There are members with a lot of info to share free for the asking. I'm sure that you'll get answer to you question soon. Wish I could help but I shoot a .50.
I can tell this though. I use BH 209 but I have found that 110 grains works best for me. You can see by my signature what I use and my groups are usually touching at 100 or close to it. Good luck and good hunting Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation 

Ray.............Wink

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14398
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: 45 cal loads   October 31st 2013, 10:51 am

I'd increase powder charge to 100 and go up to 110 grains. 110 grains really seems like the sweet spot for muzzys shooting sabots.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9492
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: 45 cal loads   October 31st 2013, 10:55 am

Even .45's?

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14398
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: 45 cal loads   October 31st 2013, 10:58 am

even 45s for darn sure!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
muzzlenut

Male Number of posts : 279
Registration date : 2010-02-11

PostSubject: Re: 45 cal loads   October 31st 2013, 11:10 am

I shoot a CVA Apex .45cal with the same bullet except I don't use the sabot that is supplied with them.
If you set the bullet in the supplied sabot on a flat surface and push the bullet down, then let go, you'll see the bullet rise up on it's own. It does not fit to the bottom of the sabot. This may not be a problem, but it bothered me. Harvester sabots don't have this problem as the bullet rests at the bottom of the sabot. I tried the Harvester Crushed Rib and the Harvester Blue. I ended up using the Harvester Blue because it seemed to give me tighter groups and it seemed to have a tighter fit going down the barrel.
I now buy the 195g Barnes Expander in bulk because they don't come with the supplied sabot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BAMA J

PostSubject: Re: 45 cal loads   October 31st 2013, 11:32 am

Thanks for the tips guys, gonna try increasing powder first and see what happens and go from there.May be a day or 2 before I can get around to doing it but I will let you know the results.Again thanks for the tips and I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future,seems like a fine place to find answers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3257
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: 45 cal loads   October 31st 2013, 11:35 am

Welcome… and it’s great to see another .45er Exclamation 

I own a CVA .45 Kodiak as well as a CVA .45 Kodiak Pro. They are both great shooters and I will not part with them.  Like every other muzzleloader out there experimenting with loads is pretty much mandatory, but if you flip back into The Shooting Range forum here you will find some detailed load combinations for the .45, both sabot and sabot-less.

For starters, I would check your trigger poundage.  Kodiaks typically are notorious for having a heavy trigger pull out of the factory.   While you can attempt to adjust it yourself, I was unsuccessful, to my satisfaction, so I sent both of mine to CVA and they lightened-them-up FREE of charge.  Only negative is you may need to wait a few weeks to get it back.  You may also want to try adding a little dry-powder graphite to the trigger mechanism.  That may be enough to smooth it out without any adjustment.

You might want to also try a bigger BH209 charge.  Both of my Kodiaks  seem to prefer  100 or 110 grains of BH209 using lighter sabot bullets like a 195 grain/ 200 grainer ( my Kodiak Pro also shoots lighter bullets well behind 120 grains of BH209 with it’s 29” barrel ).   You may also want to pay very close attention to your breech plug by keeping both the flash hole and the flash channel clean and up to spec.  Also worth checking your scope mount to make sure it is solid, and I free-floated the barrels on both my Kodiaks.  My Kodiaks prefer the smooth blue sabots (and the MMP sabots when they are  trimmed on the bottom ), so you might want to experiment with different sabots.   I use Federal 209A, CCI 209M and Remington STS primers exclusively with BH209 in my Kodiaks using the stock breech plug.   I’ve also had some luck with Fiocchi 616 primers, but only with a breech plug having an enlarged  flash hole.

Those are just a few of my suggestions, and let us know what works or doesn’t and we’ll take it from there. Smile 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ericcosh

Male Number of posts : 427
Registration date : 2013-03-12

PostSubject: Re: 45 cal loads   October 31st 2013, 12:17 pm

FrontierMuzzleloading wrote:
I'd increase powder charge to 100 and go up to 110 grains. 110 grains really seems like the sweet spot for muzzys shooting sabots.
My .45's always settled right in there at 100 or 110 grains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GregK

Male Number of posts : 3056
Registration date : 2012-01-22

PostSubject: Re: 45 cal loads   October 31st 2013, 2:29 pm

Welcome to the forum. You will find what you need here. All the info given so far is correct. Make the switch to the Harvester EZ load smooth blue sabots & your group should tighten right up. You can try 100 grains & see what you get, but those of us that tend to burn up a LOT of powder have found 110 grains of BH209 to be the most accurate charge time after time.

You can order the sabots from Carlos at Ed's Gun shop cheaper than anywhere else. 910-692-7936

Keep us posted as to how you make out & if you have any questions be sure to ask.

McRem 40cal SML

LEUPOLD 4-12X40 VX-R 30mm, CDS, FIRE DOT
CEB 40/240, 76gr IMR 4895
2600 ft/s

CVA APEX .358 SML & .45 ML
LUEPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R CDS, FIRE DOT, WIND PLEX

Knight Mountainer LTD
45cal / 1-20 twist
LEUPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R 30mm WIND PLEX CDS FIREDOT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cvilorio
FML's
FML's

Number of posts : 1572
Registration date : 2010-03-12

PostSubject: Re: 45 cal loads   October 31st 2013, 6:51 pm

@BAMA J wrote:
Good morning. I shoot a 45 CVA Kodiak Magnum with 195 Barnes Xpanders  and 95 gr BH209. My 100yd groups are not up to par, maybe 3 to 5 inches. Any tips or suggestions?
Since I'm the one that has most likely shot more 45 cal. ML than any one else her is what you need to do. Get rid of the of the sabots that come with those bullets. Buy some Harvester blue smooth, not the crush rib, and use those, and you do not need to increase the charge at all, 100 gr. will be fine unless you want to use 110 gr. which is fine also, and your groups will surely tighten up. Have your trigger pull checked, and will most likely be around 6 to 7, if it is contact CVA and have them do a trigger job. If you need any more info just contact me.
Carlos
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BAMA J

PostSubject: Re: 45 cal loads   November 1st 2013, 7:22 am

Marty, thanks for the tip on the graphite in the trigger mechanism. A trigger job is in the near future, our mz season here opens on the 18th so I'm a little pressed for time now. Did not realize CVA would do one free of charge.      Carlos, will be giving you a call later today maybe about those Harvester sabots.       If the winds don't pick up here the way the weatherman says it will,gonna try to burn some powder after while. Again thanks for the tips.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oneshot 1

Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2012-04-23

PostSubject: Re: 45 cal loads   November 3rd 2013, 8:50 pm

Interesting in my 45Cal. I'm using 80gr. of Pyrodex RS, pushing 180gr. XTP Crushed Blue Sabot.

But because of trouble finding Pistol Bullets I went to 240gr. Maxi Balls. They shoot just fine.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3257
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: 45 cal loads   November 3rd 2013, 9:08 pm

@oneshot 1 wrote:
Interesting in my 45Cal. I'm using 80gr. of Pyrodex RS, pushing 180gr. XTP Crushed Blue Sabot.

But because of trouble finding Pistol Bullets I went to 240gr. Maxi Balls. They shoot just fine.

oneshot
oneshot, I can't remember  scratch  what .45 smokegun you have Question 

-----------------------------------------------------
p.s.  Similarly, my traded .45 caliber CVA Hunterbolt with its short barrel also shot great groups with 80 grains of RS and 223 grain Platinum Powerbelts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oneshot 1

Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2012-04-23

PostSubject: Re: 45 cal loads   November 4th 2013, 12:45 pm

@Marty wrote:
@oneshot 1 wrote:

oneshot
oneshot, I can't remember  scratch  what .45 smokegun you have Question 

-----------------------------------------------------
p.s.  Similarly, my traded .45 caliber CVA Hunterbolt with its short barrel also shot great groups with 80 grains of RS and 223 grain Platinum Powerbelts.
I have an older APEX.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5321
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: 45 cal loads   November 4th 2013, 10:19 pm

Been thinking of getting a .45 calibre gun myself , something like a Mortimer Whitworth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 45 cal loads   

Back to top Go down

45 cal loads
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: