Anyone using Frog Lube?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
atvgod82

Male Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2012-07-25

PostSubject: Re: Anyone using Frog Lube?   January 23rd 2014, 8:08 am

So I tried the Frog Lube and it did a pretty good job.  I used it on my Bone Collector and did not use it on the kids Wolf.  We sighted in the guns at the range then loaded them up for hunting season with fouled barrels.  At the end of the season my gun did not have any rust in the barrel except for one spot behind the bullet where the fresh powder was sitting (condensation must have got to it).  The wolf had a moderate rust ring around the inside of the muzzle and a light rust throughout the inside of the barrel.  Both guns were using BH209 and both guns sat in the cases in my truck during the entire late season (Dec. 23rd - Jan. 10th).  I did have my gun at the range after the first application of Frog Lube and the accuracy was as good as it was prior to the Frog Lube treatment.  Overall I think this is a good "green" product and I have used it on several guns now and it has proven to be good with my tests so far.  I will update this if anything changes.  I did find one flaw.  The directions state that you should apply the Frog Lube "everywhere".  This became a problem with my handguns when some of the lube made its way into the firing pin channel which is not to be lubed.  At -15 degrees here in Iowa about two weeks ago both my M&P 40 and my LCP failed to fire.  They had worked fine at 17 degrees above but not at -15.  I did clean the channels and I am just waiting to make the range on another really cold day to try them out again.  I am not trying to sell this product to anyone nor am I trying to say it is the best product out there because I do not think it is.  I do not like the smell of gun cleaners and oils, I also do not like the way my skin reacts to them either, which is why I have gone "green".

Winchester W209

Ruger LCP +1 mag. extension - Hogue grip - pocket carry
S&W M&P22
S&W M&P9
S&W M&P Shield 9
S&W M&P40
Marlin Model 60 18 shot with mil-dot scope
Ruger 10/22 Take Down SS/camo Nikon BDC 150
Custom AR308
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5321
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Anyone using Frog Lube?   January 23rd 2014, 9:08 am

Use Ballistol , it is actually good for the skin.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14398
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Anyone using Frog Lube?   January 23rd 2014, 12:42 pm

If the bores are rusting up on a clean bore you really need to check into dyna tek bore coat. Once its applied you NEVER have to oil your bore again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
ericcosh

Male Number of posts : 427
Registration date : 2013-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Anyone using Frog Lube?   January 23rd 2014, 2:12 pm

This is another example of guns rusting when using BH209. My experience has showed me that stainless steel is not affected the same way a blued gun is. When I first started using BH209 I had Stainless steel guns and would leave it loaded for several weeks and months at a time with no issues. Naturally that practice carried over to when I used blued guns and the Triumph I had and the Optima V2 I have which are blued DO rust even with BH209. That is not to say Stainless steel has not had any problems but that I have not experience any issues with it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
atvgod82

Male Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2012-07-25

PostSubject: Re: Anyone using Frog Lube?   January 23rd 2014, 9:26 pm

Bores are fine when clean but the when fouled they get a bit rusty.  Last day of the season it was cold and raining and the wolf got cleaned about two days later and my BC got cleaned about two weeks later.

Winchester W209

Ruger LCP +1 mag. extension - Hogue grip - pocket carry
S&W M&P22
S&W M&P9
S&W M&P Shield 9
S&W M&P40
Marlin Model 60 18 shot with mil-dot scope
Ruger 10/22 Take Down SS/camo Nikon BDC 150
Custom AR308
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone using Frog Lube?   

Back to top Go down

Anyone using Frog Lube?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: