Share | 

Action Opening While Carrying CVA Optima with Strap

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
drumsetdrummer

Male Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-12-08

PostSubject: Action Opening While Carrying CVA Optima with Strap   Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:30 pm

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue before.  When walking with my CVA Optima (2011 model with the break action lever in front of the trigger guard) somehow the lever is actuated and my primer falls out while walking with the sling strapped over my shoulder and the muzzle pointed upward.  I have no idea how I am actuating it.  Is there any way to prevent this from happening?  I have missed a couple of decent opportunities because of this.  Grrrr!!!

I will add, when traveling from my vehicle to where I am going to hunt I will usually just load the powder and projectile, but leave the primer out since I don't know if the gun is drop safe, especially if I know I will be going over a fence.  However, there are times when I need to sling the gun over my shoulder to get through brush while stalking, etc.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  I'm considering trading for a T/C Triumph or saving up for a Redemption.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ericcosh

Male Number of posts : 427
Registration date : 2013-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Action Opening While Carrying CVA Optima with Strap   Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:44 pm

Optima Version 2. I never did like the latch on the front like that but the version 2 addresses that. The Triumph is a good gun but I did not like how you have to push the trigger guard lever forward to lock it in place. The version 2 Optima is just like the lever on the Accuras and Apex.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9492
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Action Opening While Carrying CVA Optima with Strap   Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:44 pm

I've never had that problem, but I carry with barrel pointed down. You could try that.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Action Opening While Carrying CVA Optima with Strap   Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:45 pm

@ericcosh wrote:
Optima Version 2. I never did like the latch on the front like that but the version 2 addresses that. The Triumph is a good gun but I did not like how you have to push the trigger guard lever forward to lock it in place. The version 2 Optima is just like the lever on the Accuras and Apex.
You pull the Triumph rearward to lock it.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ericcosh

Male Number of posts : 427
Registration date : 2013-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Action Opening While Carrying CVA Optima with Strap   Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:49 pm

Yes sorry, rearward to lock it. I was thinking forward to open it and saying something else. I didn't like it but some don't seem to mind. I was used to the Accura V2, Encore Pro Hunter, and Apex before buying the Triumph so that could be why.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Action Opening While Carrying CVA Optima with Strap   Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:53 pm

It was weird at first, but I got used to it. Although the MR is much nicer, and less thought has to go into using it. Pushing forward to open the Triumph is what felt wrong.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
pilsbury38

Male Number of posts : 251
Registration date : 2011-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Action Opening While Carrying CVA Optima with Strap   Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:56 pm

This was the very reason i got rid of my v1 optima, i hated how it would come open while slung over my shoulder.........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
drummy

Male Number of posts : 639
Registration date : 2011-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Action Opening While Carrying CVA Optima with Strap   Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:00 pm

Yes I had the same problem with the V1. I too am now the proud owner of the V2. A great gun

T/C Big Boar .58 Cal 
T/C Hawken .54, .50, .45, .40,
T/C New Englander 12 Ga. ?
Lyman GPH .54 Cal
Pedersoli Kentucky .32 Cal
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Action Opening While Carrying CVA Optima with Strap   Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:03 pm

Do you wear backpacks that it's catching on?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
pilsbury38

PostSubject: Re: Action Opening While Carrying CVA Optima with Strap   Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:42 pm

I never wore a backpack, it would just hit my coat or something and pop open.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
drummy

Male Number of posts : 639
Registration date : 2011-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Action Opening While Carrying CVA Optima with Strap   Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:04 pm

Never wore a backpack either. After awhile I did as Pete suggested and carried with the barrel down

T/C Big Boar .58 Cal 
T/C Hawken .54, .50, .45, .40,
T/C New Englander 12 Ga. ?
Lyman GPH .54 Cal
Pedersoli Kentucky .32 Cal
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pilsbury38

PostSubject: Re: Action Opening While Carrying CVA Optima with Strap   Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:10 pm

I did to it just didnt feel right........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14398
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Action Opening While Carrying CVA Optima with Strap   Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:13 pm

Bulky clothing can get caught into the release lever and open it. I tend to wear my shoulder strap loose on all my guns, so this is something ive never had an issue with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Action Opening While Carrying CVA Optima with Strap   Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:53 pm

I can shoulder a gun twice as fast when carrying barrel down. You have to carry on the opposite side you shoot from. So, I carry on my right shoulder. My hand rides on the forearm. When I want to shoulder, I slide my hand up to the middle of the forearm, and lift the gun forward while giving it a twist at the same time. That slides the sling off the shoulder, and puts the gun out in front of you. Just grab it with your other hand at pistol grip, and pull it into your shoulder.

It's a smooth easy move, and very fast to shoulder.

Another perk is if you shoot a bolt action. It keeps the bolt on the outside, so it doesn't dig into you. It also keeps the muzzle out of the rain and snow if you don't cover it.

There's probably a video demonstrating this somewhere. I came up with it on my own, but i'm sure it's a proven way to carry a gun.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5096
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Action Opening While Carrying CVA Optima with Strap   Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:52 pm

I carry short-barreled guns on my left, barrel down like Muley but the longer ones scrape brush, palmettos, etc. and hang up on the front sight sometimes.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
drumsetdrummer

PostSubject: Re: Action Opening While Carrying CVA Optima with Strap   Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:47 am

Thanks for all the great ideas everyone.  I'll try carrying with the barrel down since that's the cheapest option.  Especially considering the time and bit of $$ I spent getting the muzzy to shoot well for me.  And it's hunting season now and not much time to site in a new gun and figure out which loads are best.

I also understand how easy it is to shoulder if strung from the weak side with weak hand on the forearm I just didn't like the muzzle scraping on debris.  However, with the hand on the forearm I can train myself to watch for oncoming debris and pull the muzzle up proactively.

Thanks again.  This is my first post and I am pleasantly surprised with all the timely and pertinent replies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MLN1963

Male Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Action Opening While Carrying CVA Optima with Strap   Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:55 am

I haven't had any problems yet. 

I recently started using a "safari" sling which carries the gun in front of you for quick shouldering. You can carry muzzle up, down or horizontal. It takes a little to get used to but I am starting to really like it. 

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_220723_003_01

I have more muzzleloaders than centerfires! How did that happen?

T/C Omega Dream Season
CVA Optima V1 rifle with WP BH209 breech plug
CVA Optima V2 pistol with WP BH209 breech plug
CVA Electra No breech plug, it has a spark plug
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Action Opening While Carrying CVA Optima with Strap   Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:59 am

@drumsetdrummer wrote:
Thanks for all the great ideas everyone.  I'll try carrying with the barrel down since that's the cheapest option.  Especially considering the time and bit of $$ I spent getting the muzzy to shoot well for me.  And it's hunting season now and not much time to site in a new gun and figure out which loads are best.

I also understand how easy it is to shoulder if strung from the weak side with weak hand on the forearm I just didn't like the muzzle scraping on debris.  However, with the hand on the forearm I can train myself to watch for oncoming debris and pull the muzzle up proactively.

Thanks again.  This is my first post and I am pleasantly surprised with all the timely and pertinent replies.
Don't forget to turn the sling around. Wink

Back to top Go down
View user profile
drumsetdrummer

PostSubject: Re: Action Opening While Carrying CVA Optima with Strap   Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:59 am

@drummy wrote:
Yes I had the same problem with the V1. I too am now the proud owner of the V2. A great gun
So this issue does not happen with the V2?  Since I don't know what's catching the latch on my V1, I wondered about the V2 since in theory the trigger guard could also be pushed back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
drumsetdrummer

PostSubject: Re: Action Opening While Carrying CVA Optima with Strap   Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:02 am

Muley wrote:
@drumsetdrummer wrote:

Don't forget to turn the sling around. Wink
I already thought of that.  It might look weird, but certainly would be more comfortable!  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Action Opening While Carrying CVA Optima with Strap   Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:09 am

I went looking for a video to demonstrate what i'm talking about. I knew I couldn't be the only one doing this. This guy is a bit goofy, but he shows what I want. He shoots left handed like me, so we carry the gun on the right side. Reverse that if you're  a right handed shooter.

Have a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_QDj-naT7c

Back to top Go down
View user profile
drumsetdrummer

PostSubject: Re: Action Opening While Carrying CVA Optima with Strap   Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:39 am

Muley,

That guy is a bit goofy, but has some good tips.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AMRE2ME2

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2013-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Action Opening While Carrying CVA Optima with Strap   Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:56 am

Oh Come on Muley, that's really you that made that video isn't it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rmwildlifestudios.com
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Action Opening While Carrying CVA Optima with Strap   Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:18 am

I've never been fat, and never will be.   clown

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14398
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Action Opening While Carrying CVA Optima with Strap   Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:04 pm

naaah that dude has both eyes as well  lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Action Opening While Carrying CVA Optima with Strap   

Back to top Go down

Action Opening While Carrying CVA Optima with Strap
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: