hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Number of posts : 3711
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: CVA Hawken build   January 14th 2014, 10:51 am

Very Happy 

Spitfire,

No doubt in my mind that the .54 is a good round for elk and bear. I also feel that a well placed .50 with a good bullet say Parker 275 grain Ballistic Extreme or a Barnes 295 grain SPIT FIRE TMZ or the PT Gold 300 grainer will bring down an elk and bear. Well placed shots are more crucial then the calibers. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying a well placed 22 will drop and elephant if you shot it in the brain or heart. ( The 22 will never get thru the hide much less kill the beast). 
A good cal for the game your hunting an a well placed shot will do the trick. IMHO

Ray............. Wink

w/ Redfield Revolution 4x12 Scope
CVA Accura V2 SS/TH with Black Stock
w/ Redfield Revolution 4 x12 Scope.
KEEPEM IN THE "X" RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5324
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: CVA Hawken build   January 14th 2014, 11:01 am

You're right Ray but the big boys really start shining when you use PRB...like they say .."if it ain't a ball it ain't a bullet"

Last edited by Spitfire on January 14th 2014, 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Admin

Male Number of posts : 14277
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: CVA Hawken build   January 14th 2014, 11:26 am

its better to have to much gun than to little! The 58cal IMO is the best muzzleloading caliber to own when you live in the states. Its going to put down pretty much all big game we have to offer, especially with PRB!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
ericcosh

Male Number of posts : 427
Registration date : 2013-03-12

PostSubject: Re: CVA Hawken build   January 14th 2014, 11:50 am

Muley wrote:
Just telling you a .54 round ball will kill an elk. A much harder kill than any whitetail.

Your choice, but you didn't need to go to a .58. I was going to have Jon build that gun in .58, and I was using it for bear and elk.. Otherwise I like the performance of the .54 for hunting. It shoots flatter, and retains as much power as the .58 at distance.

Are you saying a .58 is too much for a deer but it's more suited for a bear? If so, are we talking a Grizzly bear or what here?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5324
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: CVA Hawken build   January 14th 2014, 12:06 pm

I agree Jon , some of our critters demands a .58 or much bigger as well  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9488
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: CVA Hawken build   January 14th 2014, 12:18 pm

@ericcosh wrote:
Muley wrote:
Just telling you a .54 round ball will kill an elk. A much harder kill than any whitetail.

Your choice, but you didn't need to go to a .58. I was going to have Jon build that gun in .58, and I was using it for bear and elk.. Otherwise I like the performance of the .54 for hunting. It shoots flatter, and retains as much power as the .58 at distance.

Are you saying a .58 is too much for a deer but it's more suited for a bear? If so, are we talking a Grizzly bear or what here?

Some black bears get to 500-700 lbs. That's a lot of fat to get through with a .54 PRB.

Also, the last time I checked. Deer don't eat you.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Admin

PostSubject: Re: CVA Hawken build   January 14th 2014, 12:31 pm

they can run you down and gore you.
Back to top Go down
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: CVA Hawken build   January 14th 2014, 12:38 pm

Better than a bear eaten off your arm while you watch him.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Admin

PostSubject: Re: CVA Hawken build   January 14th 2014, 12:58 pm

maybe but its a lot more mountain man style hunting, always carry a pig sticker! I dont see colorado having any 600-700lb black bears though. I don't feel a 54 is under gunned for them.
Back to top Go down
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: CVA Hawken build   January 14th 2014, 1:56 pm

We have 500lb bears. Still a lot of bear when i'm on the ground face to face with one shot.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Admin

PostSubject: Re: CVA Hawken build   January 14th 2014, 2:34 pm

ive yet to see a 500lb bear in colorado. I've had some huge bears but nothing close to 500lbs.
Back to top Go down
ericcosh

PostSubject: Re: CVA Hawken build   January 14th 2014, 2:35 pm

I have seen some pretty big bears dressed and skinned out and they are fairly thinned skinned. Many are killed with archery equipment every year and "black" bears are not typically known to be aggressive like the Brown bear unless it is a mother with cubs. I would not be afraid to hunt one with my bow let alone a muzzleloader. Brown bear is another story and I wouldn't go without packing some "back up".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: CVA Hawken build   January 14th 2014, 2:55 pm

Not sure you know this, but black bears have more attacks then grizzly's. Anybody who thinks a black bear is docile is kidding themselves.

I'm not worried about it, but I also know enough to be cautious.

Chad..In the fall when they're fattening up for winter. There's a pretty good layer of fat to go through. They also have pretty stout bones in the shoulder if you hit them. An arrow cuts it's way in. It can penetrate better than some bullets.

A .54 PRB hitting a good bear in the shoulder its going to flatten out pretty good. Not sure how much penetration it will get after that.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: CVA Hawken build   January 14th 2014, 2:57 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: CVA Hawken build   January 14th 2014, 3:00 pm

Black bears can be found all over Colorado and their estimated population is 16,000 to 18,000 of them.....Black bears are omnivorous and can be found wherever there is food. In Colorado, this typically occurs around oak and aspen or open areas with chokeberry and serviceberry bushes. A diet for black bears will consist of grasses, berries, fruits, acorns, insects and nuts. Depending on the availability of food, their home range can be anywhere from 10 to 250 square miles...Other favorite foods are fish.
 An average black bear in Colorado will usually weigh around 250 to 350 pounds with some getting up to 600 every once in awhile..

This bear was taken in the unit right next to mine.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Admin

PostSubject: Re: CVA Hawken build   January 14th 2014, 3:15 pm

And I don't see myself having a problem taking that one down with a 54cal patched ball.
Back to top Go down
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: CVA Hawken build   January 14th 2014, 3:28 pm

From your tree stand?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Admin

PostSubject: Re: CVA Hawken build   January 14th 2014, 3:37 pm

yeah pete from my tree stand because i get so many hunting tags for my unit, its soooo much easier than sticking my head into a cave where a bear is trapped and then shooting it from 6 feet like the guy in the link did  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: CVA Hawken build   January 14th 2014, 3:50 pm

No doubt your unit is harder to get a tag than mine. Your unit had the highest number of bears taken last year.

Mine was the lowest.  Crying or Very sad  I'll have to work my ass off to even see a bear. Let alone kill one.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Admin

PostSubject: Re: CVA Hawken build   January 14th 2014, 3:55 pm

shoot after all the rain we had last year, those bears dried up big time. I think i only saw 2 bears total last year. Crazy how rain will change their routes. Going full New Mexico this year, tired of wasting money to just go sight seeing LOL.
Back to top Go down
ericcosh

PostSubject: Re: CVA Hawken build   January 14th 2014, 4:49 pm

Muley wrote:
Not sure you know this, but black bears have more attacks then grizzly's. Anybody who thinks a black bear is docile is kidding themselves.

I'm not worried about it, but I also know enough to be cautious.

Chad..In the fall when they're fattening up for winter. There's a pretty good layer of fat to go through. They also have pretty stout bones in the shoulder if you hit them. An arrow cuts it's way in. It can penetrate better than some bullets.

A .54 PRB hitting a good bear in the shoulder its going to flatten out pretty good. Not sure how much penetration it will get after that.

Yes but what are the rest of the statistics on that? That is pretty vague. How many black bears are there verses brown bears? What are the severity of injuries of black bears vs. brown bears? What was the situations verses the two? Were people feeding them? Hunting them? Again pretty vague. I'm not saying black bears will not attack but that it is not likely. Black bears usually will not attack over territory or anything like that either, a brown bear will come after you over more things then a black bear. I live right on the OH/PA line and have two brother in laws in PA, I have seen black bears dressed and skinned and they are not hard to kill. A bullet whether it be a roundball or anything else will have a better chance of going through a thick bone then an arrow will. It's next to impossible to even get an arrow through really hard bone on a deer let alone anything else. Again, I would not hesitate to hunt black bear with a .54 or anything else really.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: CVA Hawken build   January 14th 2014, 5:59 pm

I wouldn't either, but this all started with Ray's choice of caliber. I was planning on buying the gun in this thread, and at the time Jon didn't think the .58 barrels were still available. I was going to use the .54 for bear and elk. Nothing wrong with have a little more hitting power of the .58 if you have the choice.

We can't use dogs or bait here. My chosen method of still hunting doesn't work that well for bears. That leaves spot and stalk, or calling them in. I would probably chose calling them in. After talking to some bear hunters that I know. They told me to not call in bears alone they come charging in so fast in the fall when they're bulking up. Well, I always hunt alone, so that means I might not get the perfect shot I like to take all the time. It might be a quick shot that has to bust through some bone. I'd be more comfortable using a bullet that I know will do that. I'll have no backup, and i'm a bit old to be rassling a bar.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ericcosh

PostSubject: Re: CVA Hawken build   January 14th 2014, 7:02 pm

Do you think if you shot the gun into a tree or something it would maybe scare the bear off if it was getting frisky? I've never done it but just curious what would happen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: CVA Hawken build   January 14th 2014, 7:04 pm

I guess it would depend on the bear.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Admin

PostSubject: Re: CVA Hawken build   January 14th 2014, 7:32 pm

Okay, Gettin back on TOPIC, I buffed and blued the under rib and then antiqued the brass ram rod thimbles and buffed it back down for a matte finish. This rifle is going to be dark, so I didn't want the bright shiny brass as it gives the overall product a cheap look IMO.  Wish the parts would get here already! I am dying to get this thing together and see how she looks! Oh well. patience patience patience  lol!

Hammer is beautifully center with the nipple.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CVA Hawken build   

Back to top Go down

CVA Hawken build
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: