Share | 

Newbie with new old one...???

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Chadster73

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-12-15

PostSubject: Newbie with new old one...???   January 20th 2014, 5:00 pm

Hi folks, great forum and great info... awesome resource!  I've got a "new" CVA Accura V1 that has been tucked away in the back of the closet downstairs that I kinda' forgot about.  Anyhow, I'm getting her ready for break-in now and have a few questions.
1.  What are the most important adjustments/mods that should be made to this thing?

2.  I've already got some/made the decision to go w/BH209.  I'd like to go with hornady SST-ML's  and or crush rib sabots w/harverster product sabots.  What recommendations do you all have?  Proper diameter sabots and all?  It's a .50 cal model.

I'm planning on hunting mulies here in Utah with it this year so I don't know if I have to shoot a full 300 grain/pull magnum load for that?  Thanks in advance for all help... oh yeah, primer recommendations???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14398
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Newbie with new old one...???   January 20th 2014, 6:53 pm

breech plug mod and head space will be about the only mods needed to fire bh209 and keep the rifle clean from blow by.

harvester crush rib and 110 grains blackhorn209 with that sst should do real darn good. 260 and 300gr PT Gold are also highly recommended.

No need for a mag load, it just adds a ton more recoil for a shooter and typically makes that shooter develop a flinch. 100-110 normally is the sweet spot for cva rifles and sabots.

CCI 209 Magnum, Winchester W209 and Federal 209a primers are great to use with bh209.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
VAPumpgun

Male Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2012-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Newbie with new old one...???   March 6th 2014, 12:30 pm

You can have loads of fun "literally" Take your time and see what your gun and you prefer. In my CVA Optima I use 100 grains or BH209 and a .501dia 250 gr THOR bullet. I had to play with the powder load for a bit to dial it in but settled on the 100 grains. Have fun

Proud Owner and Shooter of:

CVA Optima .50 Cal
Traditions Syn Flintlock DeerHunter .50 Cal
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie with new old one...???   

Back to top Go down

Newbie with new old one...???
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: