Share | 

STUCK CLEANING JAG

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bubbac

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2014-01-15

PostSubject: STUCK CLEANING JAG   March 10th 2014, 6:51 am

After not shooting my muzzleloader for a couple of months I tried to remove the cleaning jag off my cva range rod.  Its pretty
much frozen.  I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for removing it without damaging the jag or rod. I tried oiling it and letting it sit over night with no luck.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5108
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: STUCK CLEANING JAG   March 10th 2014, 7:00 am

Unscrew the rod leaving the jag in the barrel. Then trickle some bp into the nipple hole, turn the gun sideways with the nipple side up and hit it a few times, repeat, reinsert the nipple and fire into a old blanket or cushion. The jag should shoot out.

If it's an inline just remove breech and poke it out.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoHiCntry

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2013-10-01

PostSubject: Re: STUCK CLEANING JAG   March 10th 2014, 7:55 am

Your not saying the jag is stuck in the barrel right? It's just stuck on your ram rod? Wrap the rod with something so it doesn't get marred and stick it in a vise. Use a pair of soft jaw channel locks if you've got them. If not try to wrap the jag with something too and use regular channel locks or something similar. Apply plenty of elbow grease. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9492
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: STUCK CLEANING JAG   March 10th 2014, 8:20 am

The extendable ramrod was never a good idea, and CVA doesn't use it anymore. I would leave it stuck, and put an extension on the rod for cleaning. You don't need to extend it to load.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BlueMax

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2012-12-31

PostSubject: Re: STUCK CLEANING JAG   March 10th 2014, 11:21 am

If CoHiCntry is right regarding how your jag is stuck, I had the EXACT same thing occur with mine. I tried everything I could literally think of to get it unstuck to no avail. I even tried using pliers. Then I realized that would booger-up the jag, so the solution was to apply a rag around the brass section of the rag, before applying to pliers. Still didn't work! Out of shear frustration I banged the rod on my work table and it broke free?!  Shocked  I was then able to unscrew the extension and clean my rifle.

Sound crazy I know, but when all else seems to fail...  Wink

Spitfire

Number of posts : 5321
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: STUCK CLEANING JAG   March 10th 2014, 12:10 pm

Yeah sometimes you need to use force  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5108
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: STUCK CLEANING JAG   March 10th 2014, 12:40 pm

I misread the post. I thought it was stuck in the barrel. The part about not shooting the gun for a while made me think gun not rod.
If it's stuck on the rod, no worries. A pair of curved jaw vice grips, a leather pad, and a vice do the trick.

Use the same grease that you use on your breech plug to keep it from happening again.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: STUCK CLEANING JAG   

Back to top Go down

STUCK CLEANING JAG
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: