Muzzleloading Forum

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Noob On the Right Track? Pursuit UL and BH209?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mebits

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2014-03-18

PostSubject: Noob On the Right Track? Pursuit UL and BH209?   March 18th 2014, 4:21 pm

So, I couldn't resist a sale and bought a very nice Traditions Pursuit UL with a scope. I figured it would be more accurate than the slug gun I've been borrowing, at the very least.

As I've been doing research, it seems obvious to me that I'll want to shoot BH209 in it, if only for the consistency and ease of cleanup. Time does have a value to me and the cost of BH209 is pretty comparable to the pelletized powder anyway.

So, given that I went off budget for a gun without Mrs. Mebits' consent, I'm going to want to be somewhat parsimonious with my accessories and equipment. Fortunately, I have some time to figure it all out.

With that in mind here's what I have on my Bass Pro shopping list (that I may well pare down as I find deals online). I'd love any input that will help me save money or get far better outcomes.

So, the list:

Blackhorn 209.
Win. W209 primers
Hornady SST-ML HS LD sabots. 250gr.
Redhead bullet starter
4.5MM o-rings
1/8" drill bit
Redhead 4-in-one loader (this is not ideal. What I'd like is to find several cheap measure/quick loaders, but I didn't see them at BP)
I'm also eying a cheap digital scale that's accurate down to 0.001gm
I have Hoppes #9 on hand.

I need a suggestion on a lube, I suspect.
I'm debating a range rod. I doubt that I'll be shooting that much at the range.
I do suppose that I'll need a good cleaning jag.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

I'm told that these guns, with the right load and bullets, and enough practice are accurate out to nearly 300 yds. That's great, but where I hunt, many of the ridges are less far apart than that! Seriously, it would be exceedingly rare to actually see a deer at more than 200 yards. 100-150 would be a long shot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14398
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Noob On the Right Track? Pursuit UL and BH209?   March 18th 2014, 6:39 pm

Lanes powder tubes under the classifieds, along with Ed's gun shop, they have both great deals of items you will need.

Lube for the O ring on the breech plug, white lithium grease works excellent. For barrel rust protection, Barricade!

This post you may find very helpful, I've hot linked some of the Bold text with live links for pictures so it helps.
http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com/t6453-need-supplies-list

Welcome to the forum as well! We don't have to many Traditions shooters here but you've got a rock solid rifle in your hands.

For your 300 yard shooting, I honestly couldn't help you on that bud! That's a long ways off for a muzzleloader, but yes, it can be done with lots of load development and time spend on the range perfecting it. You'll probably benefit from a heavier 300gr projectile as well. My LDR really REALLY liked the 300gr Harvester Scorpion PT Gold with 100-110gr Blackhorn209. Ed's gun shop sells them for I believe $20 +/- for a pack of 50.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Mebits

PostSubject: Re: Noob On the Right Track? Pursuit UL and BH209?   March 19th 2014, 7:13 am

Thanks!

A couple questions. Will Sil-glyde work as well for the plug grease? I actually have both silicon and lithium grease. Smile

Also, is the only place to look at inventory for Ed's Gunshop on the forum? What's the procedure for ordering? The bullet deal you mention looks great.

M
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mebits

PostSubject: Re: Noob On the Right Track? Pursuit UL and BH209?   March 19th 2014, 7:55 am

One tangential question: is BH209 a smokeless powder? What sabots should I be using if I try Harvester Scorpion PT Gold?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
muzzlenut

Male Number of posts : 279
Registration date : 2010-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Noob On the Right Track? Pursuit UL and BH209?   March 19th 2014, 9:13 am

For a range rod and cleaning jag I would recommend Spin Jag. For most of the rest of your list try calling Ed's Gun Shop, you'll get better prices than Bass Pro Shop.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mebits

PostSubject: Re: Noob On the Right Track? Pursuit UL and BH209?   March 19th 2014, 9:17 am

I'm seeing that Ed's is the place for we Scotsmen to shop!

M
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9492
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Noob On the Right Track? Pursuit UL and BH209?   March 19th 2014, 9:19 am

NO, BH 209 is not a smokeless powder, and never use smokeless in your gun in any amount.

BH 209 is closer to smokeless powder than the other subs, but it has been detuned to black powder power.

Again.......never use smokeless powder!

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Noob On the Right Track? Pursuit UL and BH209?   March 19th 2014, 10:50 am

I've never heard of Sil-glyde. All you need just just a small amount of grease around the o ring to keep it from going flat.

Blackhorn209 is amazing stuff! Its not a true smokeless powder, its powerbelt and clean burning but no where near the power smokeless powder builds up. Power wise its slightly faster than T7 but a hell of a lot cleaner and a ton more consistent.

Ed's gun shop will have you in trouble with the wife if you are not careful  lol! 
Back to top Go down
Mebits

PostSubject: Re: Noob On the Right Track? Pursuit UL and BH209?   March 20th 2014, 7:43 am

Thanks!

One other question: for now I'm leaving the factory grease, etc. sit on the gun while I accumulate the stuff I need to shoot. But when I give it it's first cleaning, do I have to mess with all the soap and water and brushes, or can I just use Hoppes #9, shoot a primer through, and call it "ready to shoot"?

Thanks,
M
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Noob On the Right Track? Pursuit UL and BH209?   March 20th 2014, 8:53 am

You'll need something strong to clean out the factory gunk. After that clean the gun like your CF guns when using BH 209. Soap and water won't work for it.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mebits

PostSubject: Re: Noob On the Right Track? Pursuit UL and BH209?   March 20th 2014, 8:58 am

Maybe "Goof Off" or "Goo Gone" for the factory gunk? Then a quick shot of Hoppes?

M
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Noob On the Right Track? Pursuit UL and BH209?   March 20th 2014, 9:09 am

It depends on the company too. Some gunk is worse than others. I usually use brake cleaner, but others have had success with other cleaners.

Keep working on it until you get snow white patches. If you don't get it all out, and shoot the gun it will bake in, and you'll have a hell of a time getting it out.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mebits

PostSubject: Re: Noob On the Right Track? Pursuit UL and BH209?   June 17th 2014, 9:34 am

Updating:

I filled out my supplies list with orders to Lane (Lane's Tubes), Carlos (Ed's Gunshop), and some Ebay deals (for a field bag and starter). I got the BH209 and the PT GOLD'S 260 bullets

I finally got out to the range after trying to sight in out on a farm without a bench, in the wind, etc. I double checked my sight in at 50 yds. two shots in the same hole 2" above my aim point. Better than I thought. At 100 yds I was a couple inches right and a little high consistently so I made another adjustment. This is where I discovered something: shooting 100 grains of BH209 is a bit hard on the shoulder! I backed it down to 85 and liked the grouping even more. Off the bag or shooting sticks I was making 2 1/2" groups and at that range, that's about as good as I could do (the gun could do better I was just starting to flinch). I'm happy with it!  I took a shot at 150 yds and was a few inches low and a tad to the right and that's likely me. I'm pretty sure I'll never take a shot that long, but it's nice to know that the gun is capable.

Last edited by Mebits on October 12th 2014, 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Noob On the Right Track? Pursuit UL and BH209?   June 17th 2014, 9:39 am

Sounds like good shooting! I know what you mean about 100gr in the traditions, they are light weight and 100gr can kick like a mule!
Back to top Go down
Mebits

PostSubject: Re: Noob On the Right Track? Pursuit UL and BH209?   June 17th 2014, 11:05 am

I was feelin' kinda wimpy but the bruises told me I'm not THAT wimpy!

I'm just glad one doesn't have to shoot a deer 10 times!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Noob On the Right Track? Pursuit UL and BH209?   June 17th 2014, 11:06 am

some times you do! Deer of the modern world have learned to soak up bullets better, therefore, making them harder to kill  :ROFL

Back to top Go down
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5106
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Noob On the Right Track? Pursuit UL and BH209?   June 17th 2014, 12:28 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:
some times you do! Deer of the modern world have learned to soak up bullets better, therefore, making them harder to kill  :ROFL

That's why you need .50 cal. semi-autos with 30 round clips. Otherwise 'Deerzilla' may get you.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mebits

PostSubject: Re: Noob On the Right Track? Pursuit UL and BH209?   June 17th 2014, 12:53 pm

The ZOMBAMBI APOCALYPSE!!!

affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mebits

PostSubject: Re: Noob On the Right Track? Pursuit UL and BH209?   October 20th 2014, 12:07 pm

Whoot. Got first blood with the Pursuit UL. Even with 85gr of Blackhorn 209, and even at 125 yds. that slug left a hellish hole in and out. Hamburger on the way out! Heck of a gun.

Mark
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5106
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Noob On the Right Track? Pursuit UL and BH209?   October 20th 2014, 12:17 pm

OK, you are believed for 48 hours only unless you put up photos to show us. Put them in the Hunting Lodge section.

A tentative congratulations to you. Wink

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mebits

PostSubject: Re: Noob On the Right Track? Pursuit UL and BH209?   October 20th 2014, 12:42 pm

I've got a pic or two on my phone. I'll have to see about getting them off my phone and on my machine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Noob On the Right Track? Pursuit UL and BH209?   October 20th 2014, 5:37 pm

Awesome!! Can't wait to see the pics!
Back to top Go down
Mebits

PostSubject: Re: Noob On the Right Track? Pursuit UL and BH209?   November 2nd 2014, 11:09 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mebits

PostSubject: Re: Noob On the Right Track? Pursuit UL and BH209?   November 4th 2014, 8:28 am

I'm going out again Saturday. I'm rather confident that I can take deer at up to 200 yds. Who needs a modern rifle when you've got an inline with Blackhorn?

Mark
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Noob On the Right Track? Pursuit UL and BH209?   

Back to top Go down

Noob On the Right Track? Pursuit UL and BH209?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: