Share | 

MUSKET CAPS?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dbowling

Male Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2014-01-22

PostSubject: MUSKET CAPS?   March 19th 2014, 10:44 am

Anybody know where to pick up some musket caps, everyone around me just sold the last of theirs and not sure when they will be getting them back in... have a p.m. in to Carlos to see if he has them or can get them..I use these in at least 3 of my muzzleloaders and really dont want to go back to #11`s, plus everyone is out of those also..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14399
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: MUSKET CAPS?   March 19th 2014, 10:53 am

If you have a bass pro or cabelas near by, i'd check them out. Maybe do a search for gun stores in your area online and find some new ones you may not have known about and go to them, they can be little hoarders of good stuff!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
dbowling

PostSubject: Re: MUSKET CAPS?   March 19th 2014, 12:05 pm

yeah not many gunshops around me anymore most have went belly up... no Cabelas or Bass Pro only Gander Mnt. and I wont buy anything from them due to rediculous pricing and poor customer service..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1285
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: MUSKET CAPS?   March 19th 2014, 1:26 pm

Musket caps at reasonable prices are hard to find.  The only place within reasonable driving distance wants $12.99 per can of a hundred caps.   Switched my guns to #11 caps.   Bought Remington #11 caps for $3.00 per hundred at Gene Sears in El Reno.  They work fine with Black MZ, BP and Goex Pinnacle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dbowling

PostSubject: Re: MUSKET CAPS?   March 19th 2014, 2:18 pm

@falcon wrote:
Musket caps at reasonable prices are hard to find.  The only place within reasonable driving distance wants $12.99 per can of a hundred caps.   Switched my guns to #11 caps.   Bought Remington #11 caps for $3.00 per hundred at Gene Sears in El Reno.  They work fine with Black MZ, BP and Goex Pinnacle.

I used #11`s for years but my fingers are so stove up that in cold weather I have a hard time messing with them even when in a capper... musket caps are no problem.. Ive been getting musket caps( CCI) at my local shop for like 5.97 per 100 until he ran out.. if I have to I will start using them again but prefer not to... Carlos p.m ed me back and said he has some ordered.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: MUSKET CAPS?   March 19th 2014, 2:26 pm

Ever try a leather capper? I make them into the shape of a big 2 - 3" circle, punch holes that hold the caps, cock the hammer to either half or full, slip the cap onto the nipple and shes ready.
Back to top Go down
dbowling

PostSubject: Re: MUSKET CAPS?   March 19th 2014, 7:38 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:
Ever try a leather capper? I make them into the shape of a big 2 - 3" circle, punch holes that hold the caps, cock the hammer to either half or full, slip the cap onto the nipple and shes ready.
No but seen you using one in one of your pics... that will work great on my side hammers but not so great on my inlines I use musket caps(or #11`s) on..dont really want to switch them to 209`s either..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9492
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: MUSKET CAPS?   March 19th 2014, 7:42 pm

I can't imagine anything easier than using a capper. Even when my hands are frozen I can still use one.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: MUSKET CAPS?   March 19th 2014, 7:56 pm

sometimes the inline capper has to be pushed on tighter and often causes the cap holder to bend, had one like that before and just real annoying.

Which rifle you shooting?
Back to top Go down
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9492
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: MUSKET CAPS?   March 19th 2014, 7:59 pm

I'll bet it wasn't a Ted Cash capper Jon. Lots of cheap copies sold. They don't work for beans.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dbowling

PostSubject: Re: MUSKET CAPS?   March 20th 2014, 9:37 am

@FrontierGander wrote:
sometimes the inline capper has to be pushed on tighter and often causes the cap holder to bend, had one like that before and just real annoying.

Which rifle you shooting?
Ive got 2 Knight Black Knights one in .50 another in .54, also gave my step-daughter my LK-93 .50..
your right on a inline like the Knights its a real pain sometimes to get the cap on nipple tight enough...reason I dont care for #11`s much is because I load them in capper with my left hand and Ive got nerve damage to my left thumb from running a 125 gr. Snuffer broadhead into my hand and cutting the nerves/tendons, so dont have much tactile feel when picking up small stuff, my right hand I just suck trying to manipulate tiny things into a tiny hole:)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5118
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: MUSKET CAPS?   March 20th 2014, 10:06 am

I know almost nothing about musket caps but have read threads that almost all of them are now underpowered for use in re-enactments. It seems I remember someone saying that a foreign brand is the only one to get now that has the full amount of priming compound .. RWS maybe?

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5321
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: MUSKET CAPS?   March 20th 2014, 10:22 am

Most of the Musket caps we got here were nearly as strong as 209's , luckily only have one gun that uses them as they are quite scarce over here as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dbowling

PostSubject: Re: MUSKET CAPS?   March 20th 2014, 11:29 am

@patocazador wrote:
I know almost nothing about musket caps but have read threads that almost all of them are now underpowered for use in re-enactments. It seems I remember someone saying that a foreign brand is the only one to get now that has the full amount of priming compound .. RWS maybe?
Not sure if the CCI`s are underpowered or not but I get very reliable ignition with them, but with the Knights Ive never had any problems with #11`s either and I know the musket caps are alot hotter then the 11`s...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
biddler2

Male Number of posts : 609
Registration date : 2011-11-14

PostSubject: Re: MUSKET CAPS?   March 25th 2014, 8:46 pm

Are you still looking for musket caps? I was in a local gun shop in Kansas and they had the CCI version for $8.50 a tin. They had plenty. 
Are there regulations or restrictions on shipping primers?  If there are no restrictions send me a PM and we can see if we can work something out.  Carlos normally can help out and they have great prices but it looks like they are struggling too with primers.

dbowling

PostSubject: Re: MUSKET CAPS?   March 25th 2014, 10:52 pm

I believe there are restrictions of some sort as they are considered a type of explosive but not sure what they are....Ive got some #11`s so Ill just switch my nipples and use them until I can get some musket caps for hunting season... appreciate the offer though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MUSKET CAPS?   

Back to top Go down

MUSKET CAPS?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: