View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5094
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Bedding the full stock .. finally.   April 17th 2014, 10:05 am

Well, I struck out for the last time turkey hunting today and the season ends on Sunday. (I don't hunt on weekends due to the crazies.)
Anyway, I bit the bullet and bedded my flintlock about an hour ago. Now I have to wait 10 hours to try to take the barrel out of the stock. I gave it a coating of Johnson's Paste Wax then 2 coats of separating medium and another coat of wax. I had previously dammed off the barrel tenon areas with modeling clay before starting the coatings.

Pinned barrels suck! In trying to seat the barrel all the way, all went smoothly until I tried to place the last pin at the front. It wouldn't go so I tapped the barrel down with a leather hammer and secured it with 3 strong rubber bands. When I tried to tap the pin in, it split the wood slightly on the exit. I backed it out, tapped and squeezed some more and finally got it to find the original hole. I pressed the split place back flush and you can't tell it now and I'm hoping the bedding material will secure it in place. If not, I'll have to back fill it IF I'm successful removing the barrel tonight.

I also found out that maple is nowhere near as hard as walnut .. more like aspen or sycamore.  Evil or Very Mad 

Wish me luck tonight, I may need all I can get.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9492
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Bedding the full stock .. finally.   April 17th 2014, 10:09 am

Yes, maple looks great, but walnut is a better wood for stocks.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Bedding the full stock .. finally.   April 17th 2014, 6:31 pm

It took me over 40 minutes but I finally got the barrel out of the stock with no catastrophe. The bedding job has a few semi-voids where I didn't put quite enough material but is much stronger overall. I was afraid to 'fill er up" because I thought it would lock around the edges of the barrel and get into the grooves for the pinned tenons. If I had put more in, I feel I would never get it loose since it was so difficult the way I did it. I had to bang on the barrel with a rubber mallet followed by a leather mallet. Then I had to remove the trigger assembly and get a slightly oversized drift punch to contact the tang area and bang on it. That finally broke the rear free but the front was still tight as hell. I inserted an aluminum shotgun cleaning rod in the barrel and lifted while working the tang portion up and down. After 15 minutes of that it popped free.

It's very stressful. I doubt I'll fill in the minor voids.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9492
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Bedding the full stock .. finally.   April 17th 2014, 6:58 pm

I'm not a woodworker, but aren't you suppose to use a release agent on the parts you don't want to stick to?

Or, was it just a tight fit?

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5321
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Bedding the full stock .. finally.   April 18th 2014, 12:30 am

Pato I spoke to a guy here that does a lot of stock work and he recons a uses a few coats of 'Spray and Cook' as a release agent.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14395
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Bedding the full stock .. finally.   April 18th 2014, 10:38 am

he used the johnsons paste wax which is a good release agent. If you have a hard time removing it, thats a good thing! It got into all the nooks and crannies where it needed to be and made for a tight snug fit between wood/metal.

Pato, I don't think I'd bother with filling in the voids to be honest. It mainly would be a waste of time going back and filling in those small voids.

Sounds like you got it real good! Sucks about that split but if shes all sealed up now, don't mess around with that area to much.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Bedding the full stock .. finally.   April 18th 2014, 1:11 pm

Too late Jon. I already did some backfilling in the split area with dental cold-cure acrylic (poly-methyl- methacrylate). It's tooth-colored so didn't fill it all the way. I'll top it off with a small glob of Acraglas.

I used both Johnson's Paste Wax and their release agent (2 coats of each) but I'm having fits trying to get that blue film off the barrel and stock edges. I called Brownell's yesterday but they were closed already. The tech guy called me back this morning.  t up  He said to use Windex with vinegar. I asked if the vinegar would harm the metal of the barrel and he said, "No, just leave it on for a couple of minutes and it will be fine." I had to buff the rust coating off, polish, and oil. So much for tech men.  crazy 

The blue film is still there and the only thing that seems to work at all is a fingernail and a soft toothbrush. Now I know why I used PAM years ago when I did this last.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
fdf

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2014-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Bedding the full stock .. finally.   April 29th 2014, 6:44 am

If you have trouble getting a barrel out after bedding in the future, put in the rifle in your chest freezer or an hour or so, remove from the freezer and tap the barrel with  rubber hammer.  It will pop right out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Bedding the full stock .. finally.   April 29th 2014, 8:37 am

I thought about that when I was tapping and levering the barrel. Metal shrinks in the cold much more than wood or plastic. It should break the seal.

Trouble is, the gun is longer than my freezer is wide. A 42" barrel has limitations.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5321
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Bedding the full stock .. finally.   April 29th 2014, 8:45 am

Very good excuse to get a bigger freezer  Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bedding the full stock .. finally.   

Back to top Go down

Bedding the full stock .. finally.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: