777 or Pyrodex Select for Traditional?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
CoHiCntry

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2013-10-01

PostSubject: 777 or Pyrodex Select for Traditional?   April 17th 2014, 7:34 pm

I'm out of T7 and gonna switch the Omega over to BH209. I need some powder for the new sidelock though. I wouldn't mind sticking with T7 for the ease of cleaning but am concerned with having ignition problems. I'm not against switching over to Pyrodex, but would be nice to stick with T7. So what's everyones opinion/ experiences using T7 in a sidelock? If powder wasn't so expensive I'd just try both, but I don't wanna buy an expensive jug of powder and not be able to use it. Thanks...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9492
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: 777 or Pyrodex Select for Traditional?   April 17th 2014, 7:40 pm

Personally, I don't like any of the subs in sidelocks, but a lot of guys do.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5321
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: 777 or Pyrodex Select for Traditional?   April 18th 2014, 12:26 am

I agree with Pete , use real black .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoHiCntry

PostSubject: Re: 777 or Pyrodex Select for Traditional?   April 18th 2014, 7:23 am

@Spitfire wrote:
I agree with Pete , use real black .

Why is that? Advantages, disadvantages???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: 777 or Pyrodex Select for Traditional?   April 18th 2014, 7:53 am

No advantages , more dirty than the subs .....but it creates a lot of smoke !  To me that is the way a muzzleloader should be used.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoHiCntry

PostSubject: Re: 777 or Pyrodex Select for Traditional?   April 18th 2014, 7:57 am

@Spitfire wrote:
No advantages , more dirty than the subs .....but it creates a lot of smoke !  To me that is the way a muzzleloader should be used.

OK, gotcha. So just more of a personal choice. Anybody else out there have experience trying T7 in a traditional and the outcome?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: 777 or Pyrodex Select for Traditional?   April 18th 2014, 8:54 am

With some subs you might have trouble igniting the main charge with a #11 cap.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: 777 or Pyrodex Select for Traditional?   April 18th 2014, 8:56 am

Black powder has a lower ignition temp. Which translates to more reliable, quicker ignition in sidelocks.

I feel if you're going to use a traditional gun. use the powder it was designed to use.

Otherwise just use modern powders in modern inlines.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14399
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: 777 or Pyrodex Select for Traditional?   April 18th 2014, 10:32 am

if you have to use a sub, 3f is better as the 2f versions are very chunky in size and often cause misfires.

Blackpowder is a hell of a lot better, easier to ignite in all weather conditions and typically is more consistent in velocity and does not go bad. Dirtier? Not really, it does not leave that nasty thick crust build up like t7 does in the bore.

Select is VERY thick and I honestly dont know if it will flow into the patent breech plug. Its darn near the size of american pioneer 2f.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
CoHiCntry

PostSubject: Re: 777 or Pyrodex Select for Traditional?   April 18th 2014, 10:36 am

@FrontierGander wrote:
if you have to use a sub, 3f is better as the 2f versions are very chunky in size and often cause misfires.

Blackpowder is a hell of a lot better, easier to ignite in all weather conditions and typically is more consistent in velocity and does not go bad. Dirtier? Not really, it does not leave that nasty thick crust build up like t7 does in the bore.

Select is VERY thick and I honestly dont know if it will flow into the patent breech plug. Its darn near the size of american pioneer 2f.

I don't "have" to use a sub, I've never used real black powder so my experience is lacking. I might try it though? Thanks for all the replies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5109
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: 777 or Pyrodex Select for Traditional?   April 18th 2014, 1:18 pm

I only use BH209 and real black powder.
Although I've been told that 'I'm full of it', I believe that Pyrodex is more corrosive than black powder and it does deteriorate after several years of storage. The one gun I used to use Pyrodex in years ago is rough as a cob down near the breech. The ones I used black powder in are fine.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: 777 or Pyrodex Select for Traditional?   April 18th 2014, 1:37 pm

I've got 150+ year old rifles that only saw black powder and they are also still in good nick , so black powder can't be that bad.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: 777 or Pyrodex Select for Traditional?   April 18th 2014, 2:04 pm

@patocazador wrote:
I only use BH209 and real black powder.
Although I've been told that 'I'm full of it', I believe that Pyrodex is more corrosive than black powder and it does deteriorate after several years of storage. The one gun I used to use Pyrodex in years ago is rough as a cob down near the breech. The ones I used black powder in are fine.

I'm not sure why anybody would argue that Pyro isn't more corrosive than BP? It's pretty well known, so whoever did it has their noggin up their rump. To put it kindly.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: 777 or Pyrodex Select for Traditional?   April 18th 2014, 11:55 pm

I've seen our sugar based sub is also much more corrosive than black powder.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1282
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: 777 or Pyrodex Select for Traditional?   April 19th 2014, 10:57 am

Pyrodex is a better powder for traditional muzzleloaders than 777.  777 is harder to ignite than Pyrodex, although it works well in my New Englander when i slap the breech after loading the powder.  

Yep,  the residue left from firing Pyrodex is corrosive.   No surprise since it contain the same ingredients as black powder; sulfur, charcoal and potassium nitrate.  Additionally, Pyrodex contains potassium perchlorate and some other ingredients.   Sulfur is the one ingredient most responsible for rusting of gun bores.  

777 does not contain sulfur.  However, the residue left from firing  777 can rust the gun bore. 

Guns rust when their owners don't clean them soon after firing.  My first inline gun is a CVA Stag Horn, bought in 2000.   It's been fired at least 5,000 times, probably many more.  Most of those rounds were fired using Pyrodex RS.  The bore is in perfect condition with no rust or pitting.  That gun is still capable of making 100 yard three shot groups that measure 1.25-1.5".

Last edited by falcon on April 19th 2014, 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: 777 or Pyrodex Select for Traditional?   April 19th 2014, 11:05 am

You're right Falcon , the secret is to clean the gun right after shooting it.....no matter which powder was used.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoHiCntry

PostSubject: Re: 777 or Pyrodex Select for Traditional?   April 19th 2014, 1:57 pm

So are the cleaning procedures the same with real black powder compared to Pyrodex or other subs?  Probably a dumb question but like I said, I've never used real black powder.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: 777 or Pyrodex Select for Traditional?   April 19th 2014, 2:06 pm

Yup! Soap and water.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
White Oak

Male Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2012-12-12

PostSubject: Re: 777 or Pyrodex Select for Traditional?   April 19th 2014, 6:42 pm

Absolutely, do yourself a favor if you are shooting sidelocks , shoot black. Advantages. Easier ignition. In my opinion more consistent for that reason. Less corrosive than Pyrodex. More smoke if that's your thing. If you gravitate to flinters you will definitely want the real thing. Goex was my powder until they came out with Olde Eynsford. That is all I have shot since.1.5 F in my smooth bores with shot and 2f in both my percussion guns and flintlocks. As far as clean burning I would put it up against any sub. The price difference between the 2, Goex and Olde E is minimal.
One argument I hear for shooting subs is that black can be hard to find. It is easily available by order from many sources . My last order came from Graf & Sons. Your hazmat and handling fee will be the same regardless of the quantity you purchase. Even a 5# order with all fees included will run about $23 per  pound. Increase your order and the price goes down. What are you paying for your subs?
My front stuffers see nothing but black.
Good luck,
Ed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1282
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: 777 or Pyrodex Select for Traditional?   April 19th 2014, 9:15 pm

i shoot mostly subs because blackpowder is such cruddy stuff.  Much of the blackpowder made today leaves more crud on firing than the Du Pont powder available in the 1960s.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: 777 or Pyrodex Select for Traditional?   April 19th 2014, 9:26 pm

@falcon wrote:
i shoot mostly subs because blackpowder is such cruddy stuff.  Much of the blackpowder made today leaves more crud on firing than the Du Pont powder available in the 1960s.

Using Mr Flintlock patch lube I shot 30 loads with no swabbing and Olde Enysford powder using a PRB. I think I could have gone on forever without swabbing. The 30th load was just as easy to load, and just as accurate as the first loads.

Switching to maxiballs with the BB lube they come with. I did 10 shots with no swabbing. Not sure how far I could have gone without swabbing with those.

With both loads I used a spit patch, and a dry to clean the bore clean. That was just a range cleaning to see how dirty the bore was. Of course I flushed with soap and water when I got home.

Black powder is dirty? I guess, but what powder isn't?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: 777 or Pyrodex Select for Traditional?   April 19th 2014, 11:41 pm

That spit patch does wonders for ease of loading ......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: 777 or Pyrodex Select for Traditional?   April 20th 2014, 9:16 am

I didn't use a spit patch to load. Just clean when I was done shooting.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: 777 or Pyrodex Select for Traditional?   April 20th 2014, 9:44 am

You mean you never cleaned between 30 shots , then that lube really works....my mix I get between 10 to 15 shots (depending on the load used ) and I have to swab the barrel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: 777 or Pyrodex Select for Traditional?   April 20th 2014, 9:56 am

I didn't swab at all. Keep in my I had to swab every single shot using TOW mink oil.

I'm more than impressed with the Mr Flintlock lube. Which is the original Lehigh formula. Great stuff.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 777 or Pyrodex Select for Traditional?   

Back to top Go down

777 or Pyrodex Select for Traditional?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: