HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

"Hang Fires" with Knight full plastic jacket primer system

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
OrrHunter1

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-04-27

PostSubject: "Hang Fires" with Knight full plastic jacket primer system   April 27th 2014, 5:46 am

Hello all,
First post here on this forum but I was wondering if someone could them me why I'm experiencing hang fires with my
Mountaineer using the full plastic jacket primer system & breech plug with BH209. When I change back to my bare primer breech plug this issue goes away. Whats the differences between the two systems they are both the same lengths same shape at the end where the powder is ignited from.The only difference that I can see is in how the primer fastens to each the breech plugs and how one may not have as clean of flow in delivering proper amount of flame needed. Any thoughts or knowledge of this issue would be great.

Thanks,
OrrHunter1
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Number of posts : 3704
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: "Hang Fires" with Knight full plastic jacket primer system   April 27th 2014, 5:54 am

Very Happy 
First off WELCOME to the forum. I'm sure your enjoy your stay and I'm sure you'll get an answer for your problem. Wish I could help but as you can see I shoot a different style of ML'er.
GOOD LUCK,
Ray............ t up

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GregK

Male Number of posts : 3056
Registration date : 2012-01-22

PostSubject: Re: "Hang Fires" with Knight full plastic jacket primer system   April 27th 2014, 6:29 am

The very first thing I would do is pull the breech plug & clean the flash channel & the second would be to not use the Disc system. It is much dirtier than the bare primer system & if the bare primer works better, then why use it? Also, do you have a Lehigh breech plug with a removable vent liner? If so you need to disassemble it to clean it properly. Now, I have to ask which primers are you using? That may affect you as well. Knight recommends W209 primers.
If none of this helps, I can put you in touch with the right "Knight guy"

McRem 40cal SML

LEUPOLD 4-12X40 VX-R 30mm, CDS, FIRE DOT
CEB 40/240, 76gr IMR 4895
2600 ft/s

CVA APEX .358 SML & .45 ML
LUEPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R CDS, FIRE DOT, WIND PLEX

Knight Mountainer LTD
45cal / 1-20 twist
LEUPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R 30mm WIND PLEX CDS FIREDOT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OrrHunter1

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-04-27

PostSubject: Re: "Hang Fires" with Knight full plastic jacket primer system   April 27th 2014, 6:56 am

Thanks for the replies back,
I did pull the BP and clean it with a drill bit and pick even though I could cleanly see thru it. This was a brand new BP mind you. The first shot went off perfectly 2nd shot delay 3rd shot delay then pulled BP cleaned with drill & pick a was visually clear of any obstruction. Then reinstalled BP and fired the 4th shot and still a delay in ignition. I just just like the FPJ system the insertion & extraction of the primer is much easier IMO. The primers are CCI mag as BlackHorn recommends. The BP is from Knight and does look to have a button head screw with a hole in it is this what you are referring to as a Lehigh breech plug with a removable vent liner? Thanks again for the help!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sqezer

Male Number of posts : 1736
Registration date : 2009-11-06

PostSubject: Re: "Hang Fires" with Knight full plastic jacket primer system   April 27th 2014, 8:01 am

Like Greg said, I would use the bare primer, it takes a little to get use to just putting just the primer in, with the jacket primer holder you are lossing some of the primer power out the jacket. I use nothing but w209 primers, to test this I have placed a few of my KNIGHTS in the freezer over night along with primers & powder, all went into a gun case, and straight to the range, no hang fires what so ever. DUMP the plastic jackets and make sure the plug is clean and you should be good to go.

.45 Knight Disc Extreme MHSDE SS composit stock
.50 Knight Mountaineer Laminated stock
.50 Knight Disc Elite
.50 Knight Disc Extreme X 3
.50 Knight Long Range Hunter
.52 Knight Disc Extreme Winter Camo stock
.45 CVA Apex & 7mm-08
.50 CVA APEX
.45 CVA MagHunter X 5
.50 CVA Buckhorn Mag X 4
.50 CVA Wolf Shorty
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sqezer@yahoo.com
GregK

Male Number of posts : 3056
Registration date : 2012-01-22

PostSubject: Re: "Hang Fires" with Knight full plastic jacket primer system   April 27th 2014, 2:46 pm

@OrrHunter1 wrote:
Thanks for the replies back,
I did pull the BP and clean it with a drill bit and pick even though I could cleanly see thru it. This was a brand new BP mind you. The first shot went off perfectly 2nd shot delay 3rd shot delay then pulled BP cleaned with drill & pick a was visually clear of any obstruction. Then reinstalled BP and fired the 4th shot and still a delay in ignition. I just just like the FPJ system the insertion & extraction of the primer is much easier IMO. The primers are CCI mag as BlackHorn recommends. The BP is from Knight and does look to have a button head screw with a hole in it is this what you are referring to as a Lehigh breech plug with a removable vent liner? Thanks again for the help!
Yes & in a Lehigh plug those are removable but they are fixed in a Knight plug. I shoot the bare primer in both of my Knights & just as sqezer said, you get very used to it.

McRem 40cal SML

LEUPOLD 4-12X40 VX-R 30mm, CDS, FIRE DOT
CEB 40/240, 76gr IMR 4895
2600 ft/s

CVA APEX .358 SML & .45 ML
LUEPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R CDS, FIRE DOT, WIND PLEX

Knight Mountainer LTD
45cal / 1-20 twist
LEUPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R 30mm WIND PLEX CDS FIREDOT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content