View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5113
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Heads up on Deer Creek American Pistol   May 21st 2014, 5:02 pm

No, it's not tooling marks. It's 3 globs of weld trash.

I spent 3 hours today almost finishing the stock shaping. Also polished the brass and pot metal stuff like nose cap and trigger guard.
Next, I took the mainspring out of the lock and the trigger bar and polished the sear, lock backing and interfaces between the lock and springs. It's much better now on the trigger pull.

I'm going to wet the stock to raise the grain, sand it, dry it and stain it next. After I get the Express Blue, I'll blue it and polish and assemble.
I can see light at the end of the tunnel.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Heads up on Deer Creek American Pistol   May 24th 2014, 8:10 am

I stained the stock with one coat of Tandy leather stain - saddle tan color. It stains everything kind of red not tan but that's what's on the label. I wanted a slight reddish cast to it but with each coat of Tru-oil it seemed to get darker. I applied 5 coats of Tru-oil over the last 3 days and buffed it down with 0 steel wool after each coat. I didn't buff the last coat yet.

I want to buff and polish it to a semi-gloss or matte finish, not so shiny, what do y'all recommend?
I don't have any rotten stone or pumice but I have a couple of mildly abrasive polishing cakes meant for power buffing. I thought about working it over with 0000 steel wool and then polishing with gunstock wax.

Here is a picture showing it rough-assembled to make sure things didn't change after the finish was done. I still have to blue the barrel etc. after another 4000-6000 swipes on the barrel with 350 grit sandpaper.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14399
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Heads up on Deer Creek American Pistol   May 24th 2014, 9:27 am

man that looks great!

You can use some 0000 steel wool and oil it with boiled linseed oil and buff it down. The oil provides some slick surface so it doesnt not cut through the finish.

birchwood casey stock sheen and conditioner also cuts down the gloss greatly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com Online
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9492
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Heads up on Deer Creek American Pistol   May 24th 2014, 10:00 am

Won't that make it darker? How about tung oil?

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Heads up on Deer Creek American Pistol   May 24th 2014, 10:22 am

any oils will make the stock darker. Thats why you see a tc hawken and its an orangish red color, they use a spray on poly and it doesnt soak into the wood, giving it a natural color.
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5321
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Heads up on Deer Creek American Pistol   May 24th 2014, 11:07 am

Looking good Bob !  I did my stock with furniture polish after the last buffing with steel wool and it came out snazzy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Heads up on Deer Creek American Pistol   May 24th 2014, 2:35 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:
any oils will make the stock darker. Thats why you see a tc hawken and its an orangish red color, they use a spray on poly and it doesnt soak into the wood, giving it a natural color.

Tung oil didn't make my Renegade darker.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Heads up on Deer Creek American Pistol   May 24th 2014, 3:23 pm

I don't recall you removing the factory finish either. You went over it which is why it did not soak into the wood.
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: Heads up on Deer Creek American Pistol   May 24th 2014, 3:35 pm

Some of these new finishes can be a bear to remove.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WillametteT

Male Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2014-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Heads up on Deer Creek American Pistol   May 28th 2014, 1:43 pm

Wow, that is a great looking pistol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Heads up on Deer Creek American Pistol   May 28th 2014, 1:52 pm

@Spitfire wrote:
Some of these new finishes can be a bear to remove.

Nothing new about the Renegade. It's 30 years old. Just an oil finish that still looked new. I had no reason to remove it.

I thought Jon had said the boiled linseed oil darkened the wood. Remember the one he refinished. he sanded off the stain on it. When he put on the boiled linseed oil it really darkened the wood. I wasn't aware the tung oil did that too.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Heads up on Deer Creek American Pistol   May 28th 2014, 3:13 pm

I didnt sand any stain off the TC stock, TC just shoots them with a clear coat and thats why you do not get the true wood color, the finish just sits on top rather than soaking in. Tung oil darkens wood as well. BLO over time yellows and gets real dark, but its not a good 100% full on stock finish because it dries out and wears off.
Back to top Go down
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Heads up on Deer Creek American Pistol   May 28th 2014, 3:32 pm

@Spitfire wrote:
Looking good Bob !  I did my stock with furniture polish after the last buffing with steel wool and it came out snazzy.

I used Jon's suggestion and used a linseed oil soaked 0000 steel wool pad to rub it down and then polished with Birchwood-Casey gunstock wax. It looks OK.

I started using a product from Brownell's called Express Blue. It is supposed to be as durable as a hot tank bluing with less work etc. I only tried it on the trigger guard, nose cap, bottom barrel rib, and tang. You have to degrease everything by soaking it in acetone, scrub it with a detergent, rinse with hot water, and dry. Then you have to heat the parts with a propane torch to 200 degrees and wipe on the solution which gives off a toxic orange gas (bromine, I think) and instantly rusts the steel. Then repeat the heating and application twice more. You put it in boiling water for 5 minutes and then card off the rust with a wire brush.

You have to repeat the whole procedure 6-10x according to the directions. They ought to rename the product to "PIA Complicated Blue".

I have to get better organized to finish the procedure. Also, the nose cap is pot metal and wouldn't take the bluing so I polished it back to the white afterwards. The ramrod tube took a partial blue so I reheated it and applied "Perma-Blue" to it and it turned out looking great with much less hassle. I don't know how durable it will be though.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Heads up on Deer Creek American Pistol   May 28th 2014, 3:37 pm

Nose cap is pewter, thats why it wont take the bluing.

The express blue sounds like track of the wolfs browning agent, its brown and then you boil it to turn it blue. To much friggin work for me with a 32" barrel.
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: Heads up on Deer Creek American Pistol   May 29th 2014, 8:12 am

I've never found anything that beats hot tank blueing , lot of work to get it done right though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WillametteT

PostSubject: Re: Heads up on Deer Creek American Pistol   May 29th 2014, 11:59 am

Personally, I like the barrel just the way it is. Kind of matches the rest of the trim.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: Heads up on Deer Creek American Pistol   May 29th 2014, 12:20 pm

Keeping the barrel in the white is the best and fasted way to acquire a nice patina and make the gun look old.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Heads up on Deer Creek American Pistol   May 29th 2014, 12:21 pm

The barrel was a rusted mess when I got it - deep pitting that still isn't all gone. I need to protect it or it will be a rusted mess again. I like the way it looks in the white but I'm not a fastidious guy and need something that won't take constant attention.

I also like blued barrels better than browned ones.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Heads up on Deer Creek American Pistol   May 30th 2014, 10:03 am

I'm Finished! (for the time being).

I did another Express Bluing on the small parts, 6 in total, and 2 on the barrel. After boiling the parts and before they cooled, I added a heavy coat of Perma Blue paste. It really made the small parts stand out. They're a deep black color now. However, the barrel was a pain because there's no place to hold it that doesn't cause an interruption in the blue coat so it wound up uneven with lines and blotches. It's also extremely difficult to get the barrel heated uniformly so that the bluing is uninterrupted. It was helped by the Perma Blue but not nearly as much. It turned out being blotchy blue and brown.

I may go back and re-do the barrel but I'm sick of this stuff right now.

Here's the steps with the semi-finished gun last:

Parts after much work.

First fitting.

Second fitting.

Final assembly.

Left side.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Heads up on Deer Creek American Pistol   May 30th 2014, 10:06 am

Good job.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Number of posts : 3704
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Heads up on Deer Creek American Pistol   May 30th 2014, 10:34 am

cheers  cheers  cheers 

Bob,
That's a great looking pistol you have there. You did a nice job Exclamation Lets see how she shoots :rtup 

Ray............ t up

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: Heads up on Deer Creek American Pistol   May 30th 2014, 10:40 am

I agree , looking very good !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Heads up on Deer Creek American Pistol   May 30th 2014, 11:20 am

@hawgslayer wrote:
cheers  cheers  cheers 

Bob,
That's a great looking pistol you have there. You did a nice job Exclamation Lets see how she shoots :rtup 

Ray............ t up

Thanks Ray. I'm waiting for some .480 balls I ordered from Graf's. They have a notice that it is taking a week just to process orders plus shipping time on top of that so it'll be a while before I get some balls to shoot.  Mad 

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Heads up on Deer Creek American Pistol   May 30th 2014, 11:55 am

That bluing looks really good!
Back to top Go down
WillametteT

PostSubject: Re: Heads up on Deer Creek American Pistol   May 30th 2014, 12:10 pm

Darn you! Now I've got to figure out a way to come up with money for one of these in percussion. Really a great job on your pistol! cowyboy hatoff
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heads up on Deer Creek American Pistol   

Back to top Go down

Heads up on Deer Creek American Pistol
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading :: Black Powder Hand Guns-
Jump to: