Muzzleloading Forum

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

T/C Triumph, new barrel won't clean up???

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
smong2000

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2014-02-22

PostSubject: T/C Triumph, new barrel won't clean up???    June 5th 2014, 2:27 pm

OK guys have a question and need some help. T/C sent me a new Triumph barrel to replace a defective one and I'm having a bear of a problem getting it to come clean.  I've had numerous ML's; in-line and sidelocks with stainless and blue barrels which behaved normally so I kind of know what to expect.  This one has the T/C rustproof coating on the outside but I thought the bore would be normal cromoly steel.  Whatever it is, I can't get the bore to give me a clean patch - and I mean after 2 hours of scrubbing with Hoppe's, CLP, WD40, alcohol and even 0000 steel wool.  I used dozens of patches on a jag, scrubbed with bronze brush wrapped in patches and still get a black or gray rifling pattern on the cotton.  I shot it a few times w/ BH209 and where it takes about 5 patches to get my SS Omega to give me a white patch, this one has me baffled, frustrated and tuckered out.  
Any ideas or suggestions, anyone else have similar experience, anyone know for certain if the bore is coated or not?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GregK

Male Number of posts : 3056
Registration date : 2012-01-22

PostSubject: Re: T/C Triumph, new barrel won't clean up???    June 5th 2014, 2:38 pm

To my knowledge, the bore is NOT coated with anything. I use non chlorinated Brake Kleen to cut thru that heavy duty stuff. I use a saturated patch, then soak the brusk & scrub the bore, & then back to some wet patches & then dry patches. You may have to wet the brush a few times because even though the Brake Kleen will loosen & cut through the grease, it dries quickly. That has removed any type of protectant for me. Just try not to get it n your stock or forearm.

After that I would suggest a "bore cleaner" to remove any "roughness" from the rifling process. Rem X40, Flitz, there are others as well.

McRem 40cal SML

LEUPOLD 4-12X40 VX-R 30mm, CDS, FIRE DOT
CEB 40/240, 76gr IMR 4895
2600 ft/s

CVA APEX .358 SML & .45 ML
LUEPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R CDS, FIRE DOT, WIND PLEX

Knight Mountainer LTD
45cal / 1-20 twist
LEUPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R 30mm WIND PLEX CDS FIREDOT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9492
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: T/C Triumph, new barrel won't clean up???    June 5th 2014, 2:56 pm

I also use brake cleaner, and about 50 patches. You really don't want to shoot it until it's clean. It will bake it in.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14398
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: T/C Triumph, new barrel won't clean up???    June 5th 2014, 3:06 pm

some bores will always give off a little grey color even after scrubbing with the hardest stuff you can find.

Using jb bore paste or remington 40x bore cleaner normally does a fresh barrel a lot of good to help knock down rough spots. 75-150 strokes is what I usually do on a new barrel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
smong2000

PostSubject: Re: T/C Triumph, new barrel won't clean up???    June 6th 2014, 6:50 am

Thanks Gentlemen, never had one like this before and was worried that it was coated and I was removing that.  Back to work on it... Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smong2000

PostSubject: Fixed it...   June 10th 2014, 9:01 am

Very Happy Got the Triumph back out on the range yesterday after a very thorough cleaning and lapping. 
Amazing difference in loading ease and accuracy as you would expect.  Only shot it 10 times at 50 yds but my shots were touching with everything I tried if I paid attention to the parallax in my scope.  Cleaned up nicely now- not as good as my stainless Omega with thousands of shots down the bore but acceptable.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14398
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: T/C Triumph, new barrel won't clean up???    June 10th 2014, 10:07 am

:rtup  glad it worked out for you! Now load up and practice some more!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5321
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: T/C Triumph, new barrel won't clean up???    June 10th 2014, 11:09 am

By the time you've shot thousands of rounds through her she'll clean up nice and easy too  Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sqezer

Male Number of posts : 1736
Registration date : 2009-11-06

PostSubject: Re: T/C Triumph, new barrel won't clean up???    June 10th 2014, 8:21 pm

A mixture of Kroll Oil & Flitz on a cleaning brush works great on most stubborn barrels.

.45 Knight Disc Extreme MHSDE SS composit stock
.50 Knight Mountaineer Laminated stock
.50 Knight Disc Elite
.50 Knight Disc Extreme X 3
.50 Knight Long Range Hunter
.52 Knight Disc Extreme Winter Camo stock
.45 CVA Apex & 7mm-08
.50 CVA APEX
.45 CVA MagHunter X 5
.50 CVA Buckhorn Mag X 4
.50 CVA Wolf Shorty
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sqezer@yahoo.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: T/C Triumph, new barrel won't clean up???    

Back to top Go down

T/C Triumph, new barrel won't clean up???
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: