170 Yards with Hawken

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Admin

Male Number of posts : 14277
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: 170 Yards with Hawken   June 7th 2014, 12:07 pm

FINALLY got out today. Wind wasn't TOOOO bad at 12mph, I would have shot at least 1 more but after all the cool down time, checking targets, resetting the target due to it falling and down and of course my favorite... swabbing between shots, the wind picked up to strong to shoot comfortably.

One thing I learned today, when shooting a white paper target with a black bulls eye, put on dark sun glasses! I did this on my 3rd and final shot and was blown away at how easy the target was for me to see, no blurry fuzzy target!

I did have some trouble with a tree aprox 100 yards in front of me, it has grown a lot over the past 3 years and the branches were blocking my 170 yard target in a normal, comfortable shooting position, I had to slide all the way over to the edge of my shooting table and sit with one cheek hanging off the edge which is NOT comfortable!

This rifle CONTINUES to shock the heck out of me with the accuracy she produces even at long ranges.

100gr Goex 2f
.570" Hornady round ball
.020" patch lubed with Mink Oil
Remington #11 percussion caps

A post is NEVER complete without showin some good looks. The rifle is fairly good looking as well.

Shots 1 and 3 are Aprox 3" apart. I give shot #2 my fault as I am using my own swabbing solution and it caused a slight hang fire which I heard right away. Once I order more balls, Its on again!

Very pleased to see that I have 2 more adjustment notches left and that MIGHT get me darn close to 200 yards when I get the chance to shoot that range.

I have some big 17" shoot n see targets ordered so we'll see how those work out as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5324
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: 170 Yards with Hawken   June 7th 2014, 12:40 pm

Very good shooting Jon !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9492
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: 170 Yards with Hawken   June 7th 2014, 12:53 pm

Try this. Just use the cardboard with no target on it. Blank cardboard. Draw the outline of a deer on it. Draw the kill zone in pencil so you can't see it from your shooting distance.

Then see if you can kill the deer from field positions on the 1st shot.

Cut the cardboard to the shape of a deer would be even better.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 170 Yards with Hawken   June 7th 2014, 12:59 pm

i have a cardboard cut out but they are really meant for scoped rifles, just to small to see.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 170 Yards with Hawken   June 7th 2014, 1:00 pm

Ah ha!! I have a couple black bear cut out targets. Again, a little on a the small side but I can set one up and see how it looks.
Back to top Go down
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: 170 Yards with Hawken   June 7th 2014, 1:02 pm

It would be better to have it life size. Make your own.

This would be the best practice you could do after using the bench to sight in the gun. See if you can consistently put your 1st shot in the kill zone in different wind conditions. When you can do it 100% of the time. You're ready to use it for hunting.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3237
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: 170 Yards with Hawken   June 7th 2014, 3:32 pm

Nice marksmanship with iron sights!  Good tip FG on the sunglasses for those that do not have a range roof to shoot under.  I'd be grinnin' too...that is one fine-tuned Hawken you got there. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1249
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: 170 Yards with Hawken   June 7th 2014, 8:31 pm

That is good shooting right there. Bet the wind was blowing right to left.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Number of posts : 3711
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: 170 Yards with Hawken   June 7th 2014, 9:01 pm

Good shootin' Jonathan. Your shooting 100 yards further then me today. AH......To be young again scratch 

Ray.............. :rtup

w/ Redfield Revolution 4x12 Scope
CVA Accura V2 SS/TH with Black Stock
w/ Redfield Revolution 4 x12 Scope.
KEEPEM IN THE "X" RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AMRE2ME2

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2013-10-25

PostSubject: Re: 170 Yards with Hawken   June 8th 2014, 4:09 am

I've never understood why they make targets black. I've saved a lot of money over the years not buying targets. I use cardboard boxes, put on an orange dot in the middle and if it's windy, put a rock in the box.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rmwildlifestudios.com
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: 170 Yards with Hawken   June 8th 2014, 9:13 am

It's always been one of my pet peeves. Hunters practice at the range on white targets with black bulls. Very easy to see. Then when hunting they get a shot on an animal with no bulls eye on it, and they're lost.

I've always cut out an animals silhouette from cardboard with no markings at all on it. Then practiced from field positions. No bench. I think this is much more helpful than bench shooting targets.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 170 Yards with Hawken   June 8th 2014, 9:56 am

You got to have something easy to see in order to perfectly dial the rifle in. Shooting blind doesnt help either the shooter nor the animal. Animals are easier to see and bulls eyes IMO.
Back to top Go down
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: 170 Yards with Hawken   June 8th 2014, 10:00 am

It doesn't take long to sight in the gun on a bench. It shouldn't be used after that.

Animals are easier to see than a target? Maybe the whole animal. Not the kill zone. Especially if in the timber. They're colored like they are to blend in.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 170 Yards with Hawken   June 8th 2014, 10:04 am

oh come on Pete! Its called load development! A bench is a shooters best friend for just that, getting down to business and working up the best possible load for when the time comes to drop it on game.
Back to top Go down
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: 170 Yards with Hawken   June 8th 2014, 10:08 am

After that you need to practice hunting situations. That part is skipped by a lot of hunters, and that's why so many animals are wounded.

I've been at this awhile Jon. I'm not guessing at this.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: 170 Yards with Hawken   June 8th 2014, 10:14 am

It's called EXPERIENCE !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: 170 Yards with Hawken   June 8th 2014, 11:23 am

scratch 
I've been hunting a while now for just about everything from ducks and geese (geese with a 10 gauge) to Mule deer and antelope in WY. I hunted with bow, (took a nice cow elk at 31 yards with my bow), rifle, shot gun, in-line ML'er and now a side lock. Brought down deer and hogs with the bow and filled my freezers many seasons. There's been seasons when the freezers wound up empty also. But that's huntin'.
I've always learned to use the support of any stationary structure when possible whether it be a fence post, limb of a tree or use the support of a big rock. I think by doing so that it doesn't make a hunter any less a hunter but it helped me in making a more accurate killing shot. I even used to lean on a tree when bow hunting. Makes for a steady hold when your at full draw and at your anchor point. 
Now at 66 I sit in a ground blind and I use either a bipod or tripod. Makes for a steady rest and helps me to make that clean, killing shot. Sure I wish I could hike and stalk the critters but my right knee has a mind of it's own and hiking is not one of them. 
Just my OPINION GENTS.

Ray.............. Have a great hunting season gents and make a clean, killing shot that your confident in making. Being able to take a critter is like the ice cream on top of the pie. Learn how to enjoy the pie first and then maybe that scoop of ice cream will show up in due time. t up

KEEPEM IN THE "X" RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: 170 Yards with Hawken   June 8th 2014, 12:08 pm

Ray.............You sure didn't use a rest for the bow, or those geese hunts.  Very Happy 

All i'm saying is practice the way you hunt. If you always use a rest like a bench with a scope during your hunts. I guess shooting from a bench is all you need. Except you should try targets that look like the game you hunt.

If you shoot from a knee, or use sticks. Then practice that way. If you take quick shots offhand. Then practice those. You get what I mean. Practice the way you hunt.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: 170 Yards with Hawken   June 8th 2014, 1:11 pm

t up 
Your right Pete. No rest with the bow and the shotgun except that was many yrs ago for the shotgun and more then 5 yrs or so I think for the bow. That's a lot when you start getting up into those golden years if you don't do it often. You know yourself that the aches and pains seem to find guys like us. Wink 
I think that over the yrs a "HUNTER" knows where the vitals are and using animal targets are up to the individuals in my opinion.
I feel that hunters should do whats good for them. I also want to say that if you don't have some private land practicing from the prone or kneeling or sitting is out of the question at public ranges. To much of a liability for the range. Only time it's allowed is for a rifle match under the watch full eye of many range officers. 

Ray........... Very Happy

KEEPEM IN THE "X" RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WillametteT

Male Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2014-02-01

PostSubject: Re: 170 Yards with Hawken   June 8th 2014, 2:26 pm

Excellent shooting and post! Thanks for sharing the day with us and the photos. t up

I really love the looks of that CVA! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: 170 Yards with Hawken   June 9th 2014, 9:57 am

Ray we have a 'hunters shooting day' every month in which you are required to shoot from all hunting positions which I think is good to keep the skills honed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: 170 Yards with Hawken   June 9th 2014, 2:05 pm

Wish they had something like that here but remember, this is Chicago........ I drive 70 to 80 mins to get to an out door range. The pistol and rifle range is really strict on enforcing the rules which is needed when you have 40/50 people shooting.
Myself I shoot at the ML'er range, THE WILDERNESS AREA. The name explains the area your in. WOODS, WOODS and more WOODS. There it's laid back and really a pleasure to shoot there except for the skeeters. 
Muzzleloaders, side locks, original or repo's of weapons made prior to 1894. Black powder weapons long and short allowed. They now have a small area for 22's. Wish it was closer.

Ray............ t up

KEEPEM IN THE "X" RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: 170 Yards with Hawken   June 9th 2014, 2:09 pm

We can shoot in any national forest. I can be shooting in 5 min from where I live.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: 170 Yards with Hawken   June 9th 2014, 11:44 pm

Luckily for me the range is only 16 miles away and I have nearly unlimited use of it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 170 Yards with Hawken   

Back to top Go down

170 Yards with Hawken
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: