HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Accura MR and the "Northwest" #11/Musket Cap QRBP

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Butcher45

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2014-06-09

PostSubject: Accura MR and the "Northwest" #11/Musket Cap QRBP   June 9th 2014, 5:41 pm

Hey all.......my first post here.  Doing my research before buying my first muzzleloader to hunt big game with here in Oregon, seeing as my .45caliber air rifle is not yet legal for any Oregon big game (I hunt coyotes and Bobcat with the airgun).  Would like a gun to hunt Elk with that is eligible for our Oregon rules muzzleloader hunt, and also pack around the mountains throughout the year chasing cougar using the same set-up.

The Accura MR looks pretty awesome for my needs with it's reputation for accuracy (key), compact size, and the weather resistance of the nitride treatment.  My only concern with the Accura MR is whether or not the Northwest-legal QRBP that takes #11/musket caps would be available, and useable with the MR version, as #11caps/musket caps is what I will be going with all the time.

Is this rifle doing well with 300-340grain lead sabot rounds?  Looking at shooting the cast lead/LBT-type stuff that I can make myself for the most part.

Thanks in advance for any info shared.......nice place you have here!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14398
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Accura MR and the "Northwest" #11/Musket Cap QRBP   June 9th 2014, 6:17 pm

I am not seeing the MR available in NW standards. The best option is the Accura V2 NW or the Optima V2 NW versions.

http://cva.com/CVA-Store-View.php?id=625
http://cva.com/CVA-Store-View.php?id=628

Both rifles are able to use open sights where the MR can not due to stock design.

The NW versions do have upgraded, heavier duty internal springs for a harder hammer smack for the musket cap, I do not believe you will be able to just change out plugs and go at it due to the heavier springs not being installed in the MR.

No problem at all with lead sabots, Harvester makes some that do well in the CVA rifles. If you have to shoot all lead, I'd personally go with with the 410gr hornady great plains or maxiball or even the 348gr flat point powerbelt.

Welcome to the forum as well! Always a welcome to have a new muzzle loading shooter here with us! Always ask for help when needed!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9492
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Accura MR and the "Northwest" #11/Musket Cap QRBP   June 9th 2014, 6:21 pm

I'd go ahead and get the Optima Northwest version. It will shoot just as good as the MR, close to the same weight, SS, and cheaper to boot.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ram2

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2012-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Accura MR and the "Northwest" #11/Musket Cap QRBP   June 18th 2014, 7:20 pm

Is the CVA northwest edition really legal in Oregon, Idaho, and Washington?  I thought the primer had to be exposed?  The primer cap in the CVA rifles is not really exposed.  I am not sure how the laws are written.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Accura MR and the "Northwest" #11/Musket Cap QRBP   June 18th 2014, 7:59 pm

yep the NW editions have holes drills in the breech plug area and that exposes the cap.
Back to top Go down
Butcher45

PostSubject: Re: Accura MR and the "Northwest" #11/Musket Cap QRBP   June 30th 2014, 7:03 pm

I think I'll take Muleys' advice, and buy the Optima Northwest to start with.  It appears that putting a little elbow grease and LB Bore Paste into the barrel will make it shoot real good for sure.

I'm looking forward to documenting my future testing with muzzleloaders here.  It will be interesting to re-visit many of the same projectiles I have tested in my .45 caliber air rifle (which include EPP/UG's, WFN/#454424's/45266/plenty of other .45Colt designs, REAL's, Maxi-Balls, Black Widow Venoms, Hornady Great Plains, Buffalo Bullet Company and other conicals, roundball, .45 Devastator Hollowpoints etc).  I'll be focusing primarily on cast lead projectiles both bore-sized conical and sabot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Accura MR and the "Northwest" #11/Musket Cap QRBP   June 30th 2014, 7:05 pm

I ordered a V2 Accura NW yesterday. I want to test it out and see how well they are made and if theres any cap issues with the hammer. Cleaning them is something I certainly will have to make a video on.
Back to top Go down
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Accura MR and the "Northwest" #11/Musket Cap QRBP   June 30th 2014, 7:08 pm

Seems like it could be converted to a 209 primer easily if someone wanted to. Just some parts swapping.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Accura MR and the "Northwest" #11/Musket Cap QRBP   June 30th 2014, 7:12 pm

not sure, the hammer springs are stiffer like in the wolf/optima guns. Also not sure about the firing pin bushing and pin itself. We'll find out once it comes in and I take some pictures.
Back to top Go down
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Accura MR and the "Northwest" #11/Musket Cap QRBP   June 30th 2014, 7:15 pm

If those parts interchange, all that's left is to replace the BP.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Butcher45

PostSubject: Re: Accura MR and the "Northwest" #11/Musket Cap QRBP   June 30th 2014, 7:34 pm

The "Northwest" kit will be out soon enough......CVA was using-up all the Northwest Kit components being produced to keep up with production last I heard (which was at least a week ago).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Accura MR and the "Northwest" #11/Musket Cap QRBP   

Back to top Go down

Accura MR and the "Northwest" #11/Musket Cap QRBP
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: