Share | 

CVA Buckhorn Consistency

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Clyde

Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2011-11-27

PostSubject: CVA Buckhorn Consistency   June 22nd 2014, 5:54 am

I was at the range yesterday and shooting the Buckhorn which because of the breech plug design means 777.  Now I was using the 300 gr. Alpha Golds 90 gr 777 and Winchester 777  primer.  Once I zeroed the first group was an excellent 1 inch 3 shot group, however the groups opened to 2 inches for the next two groups.  I opened another box and got another 1 inch group but instead of being about 1 inch high the zero was now point of aim.

Now if there are any 777 shooters out there could you help me with how much seating pressure you used I did seem to notice that the lighter the pressure the better the grouping,  I also was getting to the bottom of the can and noticed the powder getting finer so possibly I was shooting a slightly hotter load hence a little flatter trajectory.  Obviously, it has potential if I got 2 one inch groups so I 'm looking for consistency.  Last week I shot Barnes MZ 300 gr and it had some serious vertical stringing and I also shot some 300 gr t/c shockwaves yellow tipped in the superglide sabot which it did seem to like .  Last group of the day was 1.5 inches.

Scope screws and stock screws were checked before and during the session and remained tight.  I'm just looking for thoughts.  Thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5321
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: CVA Buckhorn Consistency   June 22nd 2014, 8:41 am

Did you give the barrel time to cool off , can also cause stringing and opening up of the groups.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clyde

Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2011-11-27

PostSubject: Re: CVA Buckhorn Consistency   June 22nd 2014, 11:36 am

Yes I did try to wait 5 minutes between shots, I got much more vertical stringing last week with the Barnes mz which kind of surprised me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14399
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: CVA Buckhorn Consistency   June 22nd 2014, 11:41 am

I got some stuff I will take pictures of and post for you about vertical stringing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CVA Buckhorn Consistency   

Back to top Go down

CVA Buckhorn Consistency
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: