Muzzleloading Forum

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

..... TIME TO EAT SOME CROW ............

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Number of posts : 3711
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: ..... TIME TO EAT SOME CROW ............   July 6th 2014, 9:42 am

A while back I posted or made a statement concerning the T/C New Englander's capabilities and was considering selling the rifle.. BOY I was wrong in making that statement............... IT'S TIME TO EAT CROW GENTS.......... headslap 
I spent nearly all day at the range yesterday shooting my Renegade and then the New Englander. Got the Renegade (didn't take any pics) shooting to where I was satisfied for that range and then I started with the New Englander. The load that I wound up for the Renegade was 85 grs 2F with a .530 RB and patches with mink oil rubbed in. Got about a doz shoots off before it started to get tough to load. All shooting was from the 25 benches. All the shots for the 54 were in a 3" circle. Very Happy 
It was a cool morning and the Thermacell kept the skeeters away so the morning was pretty comfortable. Clear skies and no wind or clouds. Temp around 65*'s. IMHO it was ideal shooting time.

I started with 50 grs of 2F to see where the rifle was hitting. First 4 shots were high left as you can see so I started walking them down. Changed the load to 85 grains and went from there. The 2 shots at 7 o'clock were the 5th and 6th shots. I adjusted a hair and went a little to far and wound up at 3 o'clock with the 7th shot. I adjusted again and realized I turned the wrong screw  headslap  and that is the low one at 4 o'clock. (One of these days I'll learn the right screws and which way to turn them) I adjusted again and put it dead center. I never felt the recoil at all with the 85 grs and that was my main concern considering the synthetic stock.
I was wrong about Luke. He's a small fry but I wouldn't have any problems with that little rifle out to 75 yards. nono 

Ray........... :rtup

w/ Redfield Revolution 4x12 Scope
CVA Accura V2 SS/TH with Black Stock
w/ Redfield Revolution 4 x12 Scope.
KEEPEM IN THE "X" RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5324
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: ..... TIME TO EAT SOME CROW ............   July 6th 2014, 10:05 am

Yeah with the right loads the .54 can stack them in there....Good shootin Ray !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 4957
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: ..... TIME TO EAT SOME CROW ............   July 6th 2014, 10:06 am

("I never felt the recoil at all with the 85 grs and that was my main concern considering the synthetic stock." - Hawgslayer)

I've always felt that synthetic stocks were better on reducing felt recoil than wood. At least it seems so with my larger bore center-fires.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Randy Johnson

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2014-03-17

PostSubject: Re: ..... TIME TO EAT SOME CROW ............   July 6th 2014, 11:19 am

@patocazador wrote:
("I never felt the recoil at all with the 85 grs and that was my main concern considering the synthetic stock." - Hawgslayer)

I've always felt that synthetic stocks were better on reducing felt recoil than wood. At least it seems so with my larger bore center-fires.

That surprises me.
Hard to believe in his day and age, but, with the possible exception of pistol grips, I have never owned a gun with a synthetic stock. I always figured they would be lighter than wood and recoil would be worse. Still....I just have this thing for wood, even the plain stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: ..... TIME TO EAT SOME CROW ............   July 6th 2014, 11:21 am

Yep a rifle should be stocked with wood.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: ..... TIME TO EAT SOME CROW ............   July 6th 2014, 11:47 am

:rtup 
Just like hunting guys. When I'm sighting in a rifle whether it be with a scope or iron sights, I concentrate on the shot and I never hear the shot or feel the recoil. 

Ray........... t up

KEEPEM IN THE "X" RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Randy Johnson

PostSubject: Re: ..... TIME TO EAT SOME CROW ............   July 6th 2014, 12:03 pm

@hawgslayer wrote:
:rtup 
Just like hunting guys. When I'm sighting in a rifle whether it be with a scope or iron sights, I concentrate on the shot and I never hear the shot or feel the recoil. 

Ray........... t up

Mostly I'd have to agree with you.
But on the other hand, I have yet to shoot something that really packs a wallop like an 800 H&H or even a 458 Winchester.
I do know that the three rounds of 44 auto mag I shot years ago are the only three rounds of it I'm ever going to shoot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: ..... TIME TO EAT SOME CROW ............   July 6th 2014, 12:54 pm

Yeah some of the bigger calibers makes you take notice of them no matter how hard you concentrate on the sights , with the .500 Jeffery , .577 NE , .600 NE or even the 8 Bore you always notice when the shot goes off
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: ..... TIME TO EAT SOME CROW ............   July 6th 2014, 2:59 pm

@Randy Johnson wrote:
I do know that the three rounds of 44 auto mag I shot years ago are the only three rounds of it I'm ever going to shoot.

I actually have an Auto Mag with a .44 and a .357 barrel. I had the 6" .44 barrel mag-na-ported and the 10" .357 barrel left alone. Neither one is a bear to shoot but the .44's recoil is a sharp, quick lurch whereas the .357 is more like a full-house .45 Colt load that just rolls up and back.
The first wild hog I ever killed was with that .44 auto mag. I drilled him between the eyes as he ran in my direction to escape the dogs.

Now a .375 H&H mag. rifle, at least mine, really punishes me. A .338-06 imp. or a .35 Whelen is the most rifle recoil I can handle comfortably.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: ..... TIME TO EAT SOME CROW ............   July 6th 2014, 3:00 pm

I guess everyone is different. When my dad taught me way, way back in the day, he always told me to concentrate on the target and nothing else. That's how I grew up. Now I've had plenty of practice and have shot many different types of weapons being the Marine Corps, 23 years in law enforcement and then an additional 7 years working under the US Marshals Service. I'm not saying that my shoulder never got beat up because it has and at times it got beat up big time from all the varies weapons and such. 
I can't make any comments concerning the 800 H&H, heard of a 375 H&H, or a 458 Winchester or a 500 Jeffery or 577 NE  or the 8 bore because I never shot one.
There was one that took me off guard and that was when I was invited to shoot trap and the only shotguns that my buddy had were 10 gauges and the shells were #4's. crazy  They were beautiful side by sides. They were made in Spain. Goresable....Sorry if I spelled it wrong. We shot 1 round of 25. I nailed 18 out of 25 but after that we all had enough. headslap 

Ray............ t up

KEEPEM IN THE "X" RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: ..... TIME TO EAT SOME CROW ............   July 6th 2014, 3:04 pm

A double barreled 10 ga will knock the snot out of you with magnum loads. An Ithaca or Remington 10 ga. auto isn't bad at all though. The heavier weight and gas recoil soak up a lot of it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Randy Johnson

PostSubject: Re: ..... TIME TO EAT SOME CROW ............   July 6th 2014, 3:43 pm

I agree that concentration on the target is the most important thing. It will cure you from flinching when nothing else will. Since there is really no need for even a 30/30 in Indiana (unless it's in a handgun...yeah, it's a dumb rule) I have owned very few center fire rifles in my time. A model 70 in .223, an AR-15, and a few old military rifles. As such, I can't really say a lot about recoil with the really big stuff. I can only imagine.
Sometimes stock design has as much if not more to do with felt recoil than what is in the barrel.
When I was in my twenties I hung around with some farm kids who were still in high school. One day one of them mentioned having a 12 gauge that kicked the snot out of him every time he shot it. Never having had a 12 gauge kick the snot out of me, I had to see it. The next time we all got together for a little shooting he brought it along. It looked like untold other single shot break action 12 gauges I'd seen and fired in my life. I called him a .... well that's not important, but I said I'd be happy to shoot it just to show him it wasn't anything special in the recoil department.
You know what? That kid was right. To this day, I don't think I've shot anything that smacked me like that shot gun did. Once was enough.
The one time I shot a .44 automag I likened it to holding my hand up and letting someone hit it with a baseball bat.
Guess that's why I lean towards black powder and milder recoils.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Randy Johnson

PostSubject: Re: ..... TIME TO EAT SOME CROW ............   July 6th 2014, 3:55 pm

Oh, and by the way.
For a few years the owner of my favorite gun shop had a cartridge on the counter for a conversation piece. It didn't belong to him, it was just loaned for a while. It was the .800 Holland and Holland I mentioned earlier.
Roy said that it went with a double rifle that cost 80 grand and the cartridges were $125 for six. Even if they were $125 a gross, one look at the round told you that it wasn't something you were going to go out and plink with.
But if you have a irritated tembo, faro, or mbogo coming at you, I bet you could shoot it and not notice the recoil.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: ..... TIME TO EAT SOME CROW ............   July 6th 2014, 7:30 pm

A 12 gauge Ithaca 37 'Featherlight' pump will sure get your attention even with a 2 3/4" chamber.
A single-barrel lightweight 12 ga. is a beast due to its super light weight.

I hate recoil.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Admin

Male Number of posts : 14269
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: ..... TIME TO EAT SOME CROW ............   July 6th 2014, 7:54 pm

I'd say you got her shooting good! Always great to have a back up rifle on your hunts. I once brought 3 and used each of them them during a 9 day hunt just to change things up lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: ..... TIME TO EAT SOME CROW ............   July 6th 2014, 11:05 pm

With the black powder rifles the recoil is still there but it just comes at you a lot slower than with a nitro gun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ..... TIME TO EAT SOME CROW ............   

Back to top Go down

..... TIME TO EAT SOME CROW ............
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: