AuthorMessage
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Number of posts : 3706
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: ..SHORT NIPPLE FOR T/C ......   July 30th 2014, 6:19 am

:rtup 
Found the short nipples at "Cheaper then Dirt" for the T/C's and they are stain less steel  nipples. Haven't tried one yet. They are T/C Replacement nipple # 7070 for 1/4-28 Threads. Can't go wrong for $3.41 each just $16.93 for 3. (TAX AND SHIPPING INCLUDED).
If you need them go to CheaperthenDirt.com and type in 7-TC7070.
I appreciated the replies concerning the short/long nipple thread but I checked a little further and received more "cons" then "pros" concernning the mechanics of the hammer not striking the nipple the proper way and causing ignition problems.
Thanks for those replies............

Ray............ t up

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9511
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: ..SHORT NIPPLE FOR T/C ......   July 30th 2014, 8:31 am

Anybody who said a shorter nipple has better ignition doesn't know what they're talking about.

TC locks use coil springs. A coil spring has the most power when it's compressed. The further the spring is released the less power it has. The longer nipple gets hit harder than a short nipple.

You'll notice more blowback with a short nipple, because the hammer has less tension on it when the cap is fired.

Everyone thinks you need perfect alignment to fire off a cap. What's more important is to hit it as hard as possible. Even if the hammer isn't hitting it square.

Most guys who have ignition problems with sidelocks don't know how to keep the nipple/breech channel clean, or they're not using real BP. It's also important to not compress BP too tight.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Number of posts : 3706
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: ..SHORT NIPPLE FOR T/C ......   July 30th 2014, 10:21 am

Pete, no one said that a shorter nipple has better ignition. I was told by a few people at the range that the hammer and nipple has to be pretty well aligned, not perfect but as close as possible or there might be ignition problems or the nipple may start to mushroom over a period of time. How much time, I don't know.
Now I got these 3 T/C's from 3 different owners. They all came with short nipples. Seems to me that their could be some truth to the short nipple, long nipple issue concerning changing them from short to long. They all came with short nipples.
Just thought I would mention that all 3 nipples that I just bought fit my 3 T/C's with no problem. I replaced a short with a short.

Ray..........

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14333
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: ..SHORT NIPPLE FOR T/C ......   July 30th 2014, 10:29 am

I do believe TC recommends the short nipples for their sidelocks. I had some long nipples and they tended to hit the hammer cup off center pretty good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 4996
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: ..SHORT NIPPLE FOR T/C ......   July 30th 2014, 11:49 am

The only problems I ever had with percussion guns firing reliably was due either to Pyrodex problems or my laziness in cleaning everything thoroughly ... or both.
I had misfires a couple of times due to rain but again that was my fault for not taking the proper precautions.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9511
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: ..SHORT NIPPLE FOR T/C ......   July 30th 2014, 11:51 am

I'm using a very big and long musket cap nipple on mine, and it works perfect. Using a long #11 cap nipple is easy.

The Hot Shot nipple sold by TC is a long nipple.

Keep in mind TC used two different designed hammers on their sidelocks. One stands up straight, and one is laid back.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ..SHORT NIPPLE FOR T/C ......   

Back to top Go down

..SHORT NIPPLE FOR T/C ......
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: