The Ol Man

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Hilljack

Male Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2014-04-03

PostSubject: The Ol Man   August 11th 2014, 8:42 am

Hello to All...Meet "The Ol Man" it is a 62 Cal English Styled rifle that I built for shooting Primitive events and hunting deer and hogs...It has 2 barrels, a rifles barrel with sights and a smooth bore barrel for small game and Trade gun matches...Barrel length is 34" on both barrels, the rifle twist is 1-72 made by the Oregon Barrel Company. Shooting a .610 Ball (rifle) with .017 Pillow Ticking behind 80 to 120 grains of 3F Schuetzen...Smoothbore is .600 dia ball with 60 to 80 grains of 3F (Trade Gun) or equal measures for shotgun loads for small game...I have packed this piece all over the U.S. and have had a blast with it...I built it in 2002...The stock is hand carved Maple, with Nitride of Iron stain with a tin poured nose cap...The lock has been tuned so the trigger pull is about 2 1/2 pounds...Thanks

YMHS
Hilljack

Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 4959
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: The Ol Man   August 11th 2014, 8:47 am

Can you show the muzzles and a close-up of how the lock fires the lower barrel? That is really neat.  :rtup 

How much does it weigh?

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hilljack

PostSubject: Re: The Ol Man   August 11th 2014, 9:04 am

I may have not made the description clear enough...It should have read that the barrels are inter changeable...I actually have three total barrels 62 Cal Rifle, 40 Cal Rifle, 20 bore smoothbore...

My humble apologies for the goof

YMHS
Hilljack

Back to top Go down
View user profile
muzzlenut

Male Number of posts : 279
Registration date : 2010-02-11

PostSubject: Re: The Ol Man   August 11th 2014, 9:27 am

That's a beautiful rifle and I like the accessories you have with it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hilljack

PostSubject: Re: The Ol Man   August 11th 2014, 9:51 am

Thanks...All the pieces with the rifle are handmade by myself...The horn is done with "Hilljack" and the bag is made from elk hide...

YMHS
Hilljack
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5324
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: The Ol Man   August 11th 2014, 10:13 am

Really sexy looking girl you have there Hilljack ! I just adore the looks of the English sporting Rifles....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hilljack

PostSubject: Re: The Ol Man   August 11th 2014, 10:48 am

Why Thank You...I'm glad you like them...I am working on two new projects both are English Style one in forty with a 3/4" barrel and the other is a 32 with a 7/8 barrel stocked in walnut with iron furniture....

YMHS
Hilljack
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: The Ol Man   August 11th 2014, 10:53 am

Yeah, I thought you had a custom-made over under either with rotating barrels or a set-up to fire the lower one without rotating. (I'd like to see an authentic one like that.)

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hilljack

PostSubject: Re: The Ol Man   August 11th 2014, 11:37 am

Funny you should mention that...I just gave a 50 cal O/U Iver Johnson to a buddy of mine it was a caplock also I have been toying with the idea of building a swivel breach similar to the one in Jeramiah Johnson  that the Indian on hosrseback carried....Are you looking for one to see or buy?

YMHS
Hilljack
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Admin

Male Number of posts : 14277
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: The Ol Man   August 11th 2014, 11:43 am

That is gorgeous! A rifled .62 is nice, i typically see them as smooth bores because others want the fowling piece as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Hilljack

PostSubject: Re: The Ol Man   August 11th 2014, 11:50 am

That's why I have the smoothbore barrel as well. So I can cover all bases...

YMHS
Hilljack
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: The Ol Man   August 11th 2014, 12:20 pm

@Hilljack wrote:
I have been toying with the idea of building a swivel breach similar to the one in Jeramiah Johnson  that the Indian on hosrseback carried....Are you looking for one to see or buy?

YMHS
Hilljack

If I were going to buy one, it would need to be rifle over smoothbore (or vice versa), be light enough to carry, and be affordable. The last two are hard to accomplish with a double barrel.   Wink

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hilljack

PostSubject: Re: The Ol Man   August 11th 2014, 1:20 pm

WOW...Now you have hit the nail on the head...You are absolutely correct on all counts...First weight will be inline with bore and caliber choices and it works out well if you can get everything done on a 7/8 to 1" barrel platform...Will it be caplock or flintlock? Either way you will be paying for 2 barrels and 2 locks to build a single rifle....Then comes the time and effort part, hand building the parts and assembly. And it will have some good weight just due to shear mass...That is the reasons they weren't very popular...And to be honest it would be very expensive... most of the swivel breeches have run in the $4000 + range...And I would be building it as a time project and not for a profit project, because it would take me time to save the money.

YMHS
Hilljack
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9492
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: The Ol Man   August 11th 2014, 1:45 pm

I read the title, and thought it was going to be about me.

Nice gun.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Admin

Male Number of posts : 14277
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: The Ol Man   August 11th 2014, 1:53 pm

I'd like to see the powder horn and especially the ball starter/powder measure combo, thats very neat looking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3237
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: The Ol Man   August 12th 2014, 5:34 am

Beautiful piece ya got there Hilljack  Wink 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3237
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: The Ol Man   August 12th 2014, 5:49 am

Muley wrote:
I read the title, and thought it was going to be about me.

Nice gun.
Funny Laughing  you say that Muley...  you popped into my mind at first read clown
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: The Ol Man   August 12th 2014, 7:16 am

I've also got two English Sporting projects on the go , one is a .62 flintlock with a Forsyth pattern barrel the other is an 8 Bore with the only jug choked Ed Rayl barrel ever made and it has 1:144 twist.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hilljack

PostSubject: Re: The Ol Man   August 12th 2014, 8:03 am

WOW Now that's impressive...the 8 bore will be a smoker, especially with the twist ratio....You have a rare one with the jug choked barrel...That is a little used process any more...What type of wood are you going to stock it with?  Are you doing the stocking? What type of lock and breech are you going with?...I need to stop because I'll drive you nuts...Keep me informed I'm really looking forward to the process...All my stocks are hand carved by myself...

YMHS
Hilljack
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: The Ol Man   August 12th 2014, 8:28 am

Far as I know the .62 will use a Manton style breech and the 8 Bore will use a Nock Patent breech. Wood for the stocks will be indigenous African hardwood . Thinking of Knobthorn for the .62 and RED OR black Ivory for the 8 bore.

Sadly the stock will be made by a gunsmith friend as my carpentry skills are not that good !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hilljack

PostSubject: Re: The Ol Man   August 12th 2014, 1:23 pm

Hey Spit...
Really cool...I would be interested in seeing the knobhorn...Speaking of which I have a piece of Florida Red Euclyptus that has some really crazy colors and figure...

My son has my caplock 62 cal which has a 1-40 twist and shoots bullet (900 grain .610) I'll post some pictures of the rifle later.

YMHS
Hilljack
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: The Ol Man   August 12th 2014, 1:51 pm

Funny that you mention the red colour of the Eucalyptus , the species growing here also has a reddish tint to it.

The .62 has a 1:104 Forsyth Pattern barrel and they really make a ball scoot , guess with the rock lock velocity will be a bit lower than with the detonator.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: The Ol Man   August 12th 2014, 2:17 pm

I thought any eucalyptus in Fla. was an import .. usually from Australia. The only red native woods I can think of are red cedar and red mangrove.

Everything grows here so we're overrun with exotics.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hilljack

PostSubject: Re: The Ol Man   August 12th 2014, 4:05 pm

The piece was from north Florida and the gentleman cut the tree about 20 years ago, he had the tree sawed on a portable saw mill, I can't be certain but the wood does smell like it...the blank is about 6 ft x 10" x 3"...it is very figured and hard...Is there any additional help you could give me, I would greatly appreciate it....Most any woods are not a problem but I have not even heard of and the last time I came into contact with any trees of this species was in California...

Thanks
Hilljack
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: The Ol Man   August 12th 2014, 4:19 pm

It appears that a company called Florida Eucalyptus, which is controlled by a Uruguayan corporation, has started eucalyptus plantations in 3 south Florida counties.
The trees are imports but could be some special hybrid to grow out in less than 8 years. It sure is some weird-looking wood.

http://floridaeucalyptus.com/

https://www.google.com/search?q=Florida+eucalyptus&client=firefox-a&hs=tlg&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=cZHqU7jTGMqZyAS76ILwBA&ved=0CCUQsAQ#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=yR9guBmQBfC0xM%253A%3BhLyp8TRWOMgg0M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fimage.slidesharecdn.com%252F620hectaretimberflorida-140311133150-phpapp02%252F95%252F620-hectare-eucalyptus-timber-farm-in-florida-uruguay-1-638.jpg%253Fcb%253D1394562754%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.slideshare.net%252FFarmsUY%252F620-hectare-eucalyptus-timber-farm-in-florida-uruguay%3B638%3B479

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Ol Man   

Back to top Go down

The Ol Man
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: