HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Couple of inline muzzleloader questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fishingkid

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2014-09-18

PostSubject: Couple of inline muzzleloader questions   September 21st 2014, 6:25 pm

I am new to muzzleloading. I have hunted all my life and just purchased my first muzzleloader. I purchased a traditions striker fire the black and grey model. I purchased the Williams iron sites. I began shooting triple 7 with Winchester 209 primers and I have changed and gone through 4 different bullets now. I have the gun sighted in fairly well now my question is can I use different 209 primers without re sighting the gun? I have Remington 209 primers when I use then they seem to let less burnt powder on the back side of my breach plug.also guys with the traditions striker fire how are you cleaning your breach plug on the inside? I have the wire tool and have soaked it and tried cleaning that way. I thought I seem somewhere online someone mention useing a drill bit by hand? I have a hunt this week in going on we're expecting rain in the forecast what recommendations as far as protecting my gun from water damaging the powder?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14399
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Couple of inline muzzleloader questions   September 21st 2014, 7:32 pm

No, its always best to verify primers on the range to see how much they will affect your accuracy or point of impact. With Blackhorn209 it really hasn't shown much difference but when you run different primers with T7 or Pyrodex, that REALLY shows a big difference.

1/8" drill bit for the breech plugs flash channel and a q tip around the primer pocket.

Keep the muzzle pointed down or cover it with a finger cot, balloon, electrical tape, etc. The rear section by the primer is pretty sealed up as it is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Fishingkid

PostSubject: Re: Couple of inline muzzleloader questions   September 21st 2014, 8:45 pm

Thanks for the help. Also what is the nipple on  a muzzleloader? Wondering if my gun has this and what it does? Heard it mentioned in several post.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14399
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Couple of inline muzzleloader questions   September 21st 2014, 9:28 pm

no, your rifle will not have a nipple. Its used on traditional sidelock muzzle loaders and some of the north west muzzle loaders that have to use exposed ignition.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Fishingkid

PostSubject: Re: Couple of inline muzzleloader questions   September 21st 2014, 9:37 pm

Ok thanks for all the help while Im in Nevada this week for my hunt I might look around for some black horn 209 and a measuring tool. Hoping after I fil this tag I'll learn how to use the loose powder and get this gun really setup for next year. Live and learn wish I was more prepared this year. Finally hitting tight pattern at 100 yards from thr lead sled didn't have enough daylight to shoot off my shooting sticks I hope all is well and it works out should be in the field we'd evening til Sunday evening.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Couple of inline muzzleloader questions   

Back to top Go down

Couple of inline muzzleloader questions
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: