Muzzleloading Forum

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Main difference(s) between CVA Wolf and Optima?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tannhauser

Male Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2014-09-26

PostSubject: Main difference(s) between CVA Wolf and Optima?   September 28th 2014, 2:16 pm

I've just started to research inline muzzleloaders and I've gravitated towards CVA rifles.  I'm looking at the Wolf and the Optima.  From what I read, the Wolf is the entry level CVA inline, and the Optima is the mid level rifle.  The Wolf has a slightly shorter barrel and is a little lighter.  What is the functional difference between the Wolf and Optima?  From what I'm seeing in online prices, the price difference between the two rifles is about $50. 

Is the Optima a noticeably better rifle than the Wolf?  Can I shoot Blackhorn 209 out of either? 

Would the Wolf serve as a 100 yard or shorter hunting rifle?  If it can hold minute of deer at 100 yards that's as much as I ask from my Mossberg 12 slug gun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5321
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Main difference(s) between CVA Wolf and Optima?   September 29th 2014, 2:03 am

The Wolf will put 5 shots into less than an inch if the driver does his part from 110 yards with 300gr SST's
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GregK

Male Number of posts : 3056
Registration date : 2012-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Main difference(s) between CVA Wolf and Optima?   September 29th 2014, 5:53 am

The Wolf will easily group like that at 100yds if the shooter is capable. If you're going to shoot BH209 ( I strongly suggest you do ) in any CVA, upgrade to the BH209 breechplug (available from Carlos)

The Optima is definitely an upgrade & is a fine rifle. It does not put you at the premium Bergera barrel level, but they seem to shoot just as good. They are a nice fitting & balanced rifle with a bit more weight than the Wolf which helps reduce recoil. The choice is of course yours & I would recommend the Optima V2 but you won't be disappointed with the Wolf- Greg

PS......don't forget to check with Carlos on the gun & as we've said before, he will set it up for you if you wish. Try to find someone else that will do THAT for you! Keep us posted Smile

McRem 40cal SML

LEUPOLD 4-12X40 VX-R 30mm, CDS, FIRE DOT
CEB 40/240, 76gr IMR 4895
2600 ft/s

CVA APEX .358 SML & .45 ML
LUEPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R CDS, FIRE DOT, WIND PLEX

Knight Mountainer LTD
45cal / 1-20 twist
LEUPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R 30mm WIND PLEX CDS FIREDOT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14398
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Main difference(s) between CVA Wolf and Optima?   September 29th 2014, 11:02 am

Not a whole lot of difference. The Optima's barrel is 2" longer, has a different style lever that breaks the barrel open, the optima is available with a thumb hole stock,optima has a trigger thats just a little bit lighter in weight.

Both guns will shoot great with the right loads. If you plan on shooting 150+ yards, you may want to opt for the Optima and its longer barrel. If you are a tree stand or blind hunter or even a short distance shooter, the Wolf is real quick and handy in this situations.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Main difference(s) between CVA Wolf and Optima?   

Back to top Go down

Main difference(s) between CVA Wolf and Optima?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: