Share | 

accuracy not what it was with my apex

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
The Butcher

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2011-01-23

PostSubject: accuracy not what it was with my apex   October 17th 2014, 9:40 pm

I've had an apex since they came out with them.  At 100 yds with 110gr  Blackhorn 209, I shot a 3/4" group. I used to be able to shoot 1-1/2 groups at 200 yds.  Went to the range, and 100 yd accuracy was great.  I shot 3 shots, and it shot the same as before. I moved to the 200 yd. target, and was clear off the paper. I shoot powerbelt 250 Aerolites. I thought there may be plastic build up in the bore from the tail section of the projectile.  I sprayed the bore with plastic cleaner and then scrubbed it really good, thinking the plastic is the problem. I just wondered why the loss of accuracy so sudden. Anyone else encounter this? I have not shot it since I cleaned it to really know.

Last edited by The Butcher on October 18th 2014, 3:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Butcher

PostSubject: Re: accuracy not what it was with my apex   October 17th 2014, 9:43 pm

Bought a new Accura Ml Nitride today.  Mine has a black finish.  Details Keep you posted on accuracy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
muzzlenut

Male Number of posts : 279
Registration date : 2010-02-11

PostSubject: Re: accuracy not what it was with my apex   October 17th 2014, 10:12 pm

Check the base mount. I purchased an Apex that had the flat bar for the base and multiple pieces for the rings. After a couple of years and many shots working up loads for different bullet and just experimenting the base became loose. I ordered a Durasight Dead-On from CVA to replace it. haven't had a problem since.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14398
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: accuracy not what it was with my apex   October 18th 2014, 12:08 am

Could very well be the scope/ scope mounts. One other thing is the breech plug. Depending on how many shots are through it, the flash hole could very well be worn out to the point its causing poor accuracy. I'd start with the simple stuff like checking the scope base/mount screws and then replace the breech plug.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3257
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: accuracy not what it was with my apex   October 18th 2014, 7:11 am

FG, how many thousandths off factory spec does the flash hole need to enlarge before you start losing accuracy Question
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14398
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: accuracy not what it was with my apex   October 18th 2014, 7:33 pm

thats a good question Marty. I honestly could not answer it and be right but mileage will vary with charges used, pressures from the sabot/bullet pressure, a lot of things come into play on how many shots you can fire before its kaput.

Before BH209 always recommended a .035" flash hole for best results. Now it seems, anything over .035" is worn out LOL. Its just one of those deals when your accuracy goes south, take a look at the plug as its a lot cheaper to replace than going through scopes and resighting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
The Butcher

PostSubject: Re: accuracy not what it was with my apex   November 8th 2014, 12:46 am

well, did not have to worry about real long range accuracy this year.  I missed a trotting coyote, then crunched a doe at a little over 100 yds. Aerolite went exactly where the crosshairs were.  I guess I can't complain.  It all could have been me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Butcher

PostSubject: Re: accuracy not what it was with my apex   November 8th 2014, 12:51 am

I met a gunsmith that builds ML's on rem actions last week. So my Apex, and new never fired Nitride Accura may be on the butchering block.  Wait and see, Kicking it around.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: accuracy not what it was with my apex   

Back to top Go down

accuracy not what it was with my apex
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: